• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Omloop het Nieuwsblad, Feb 25th, 198.3km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

jflemaire said:
Flamin said:
Jagartrott said:
Weather forecast now says some sun, no rain and wind picking up in the afternoon.

You have a different one then, since I see very cloudy and still a 65% chance of light rain.
Well, Belgium's own meteo institute does not predict rain at all: http://www.meteo.be/meteo/view/en/65656-Weather.html?period=2

I usually check the sites I first come across to (all said chance for rain) but this should be more trustworthy indeed.

PremierAndrew said:
Tonton said:
And at the same time, Cav' Man, Le Gorille, and Le Beau Marcel are cashing in in the Emirates. So much for the "legends" discussion that is taking place on this forum :mad: . I have so much more respect for Fons De Wolf, twice winner of this race (and a lot more, MSR, GDL) than for these clowns.

Expect better from a mod than fishing for bait for no reason
I'm not fishing nor baiting, just expressing my opinion. Sorry if I offended you. But you have to admit that such a level of "ultra-specialization" is borderline ridiculous. If you want to win the big races, build a legacy, Omloop was the place to be. These are the races that make legends...That's not fishing, that's an honest opinion, and a valid argument, even though some fans of these three may disagree. It's a forum, I'd be glad to hear their prospective, and I promise you, I won't accuse them of fishing and/or trolling because they disagree with me :) .

But regardless, as I also wrote (the paragraph wasn't quoted), it's a race for strong men, and what's so great about it is that there're at least a dozen riders who rightfully think that they an win it: all the past champions, the ones who are in great form and have already won this year. I don't know who's going to win it, but for sure there will be a big time fight.

Re:

Breh said:
SO happy the season is starting again! It's going to be hard to recognise all the jerseys again.

Every year I'm happy to watch the TdU and whatever other races my fav riders are competing in. It's exciting. But then Omloop comes around and I remember just how much better these races are over anything else all season. It's almost impossible to not get great racing on these roads.

Jspear said:
Breh said:
SO happy the season is starting again! It's going to be hard to recognise all the jerseys again.

Every year I'm happy to watch the TdU and whatever other races my fav riders are competing in. It's exciting. But then Omloop comes around and I remember just how much better these races are over anything else all season. It's almost impossible to not get great racing on these roads.
Indeed. I've enjoyed the Spanish stage races so far, but nothing comes close to Omloop.

Tonton said:
PremierAndrew said:
Tonton said:
And at the same time, Cav' Man, Le Gorille, and Le Beau Marcel are cashing in in the Emirates. So much for the "legends" discussion that is taking place on this forum :mad: . I have so much more respect for Fons De Wolf, twice winner of this race (and a lot more, MSR, GDL) than for these clowns.

I'm not fishing nor baiting, just expressing my opinion. Sorry if I offended you. But you have to admit that such a level of "ultra-specialization" is borderline ridiculous. If you want to win the big races, build a legacy, Omloop was the place to be. These are the races that make legends...That's not fishing, that's an honest opinion, and a valid argument, even though some fans of these three may disagree. It's a forum, I'd be glad to hear their prospective, and I promise you, I won't accuse them of fishing and/or trolling because they disagree with me :) .
Great post, completely agree with your sentiments. Dimension Data are the biggest disgrace imo. They should have been thrown out of the WT this year for their poor performances last season, and now, having lobbied the UCI successfully, they are just chasing the money around the Middle East now rather than showing up to a couple of proper cycling races. Despite having EBH and Cavendish, two guys one of which has KBK won before, and the other has the potential to challenge at both races.

Greipel I guess was told he was not needed. He'd be third or fourth choice at best for Lotto, who have a very strong team. And he's paid his dues in the cobbled classics as a domestique over the last few years as well. Similar with Kittel, I'm not sure he would have had much say in the matter - there are at least nine more suited riders than him at Quick Step.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ3srxcgkRb/?taken-by=mikey.vk

pastronef said:
Breh said:

we've all had a full month to recognise them. where were you, no internet at all?
Down Under, Dubai, HeraldSun, Valencia, Andalucia, Mallorca, Oman, Algarve, AbuDhabi, HautVar, Laigueglia etc etc
I care little for these races. The cycling season starts the last weekend of february for me.

Tonton said:
PremierAndrew said:
Tonton said:

You're forgetting the WT and money-aspect though. Greipel for example is focusing on the cobbled classics this year and less on his sprint, but teams want their first WT win as soon as possible and Abu Dhabi is the easiest way to get that first win when you have a worldclass sprinter.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Jspear said:
Breh said:

Indeed. I've enjoyed the Spanish stage races so far, but nothing comes close to Omloop.
You enjoyed because in valencia, your beloved quintana won (in great style) and in andalucia your favourite rider won... (but contador was the showman like he always is...) :D :D :D

Tonton said:

The real men are going to square off. Sagan, Boonen, GVA, Stannard come in as the favorites. If Stybar is in the mix, watch out. Benoot? That would be awesome, otherwise he'll slide down the Haimar slope another notch. I would love if Demare got a good placing, and he can do it. Young Belgian, Dutch, or Dane ftw? That would be great for the sport.

No need to belittle them this much.
You will get to see Greipel a lot of times this spring on the cobbles. Cav indeed isn't the best on the cobbles, but the guy has shown that on days he can survive quite a hard day.
Kittel... he certainly isn't a rider for though conditions. No doubt about that.

Sure these guys are no legends, they are incredibly good sprinters. I think specially Cav and Kittel most likely as well will be remembered as one of the best sprinters of all times.

Off-topic too much though.

I criticized Greipel hardly when he left the Giro wearing the red jersey last year, but the gorilla has raced enough cobbled classics over the last few years as an useful helper paying back the efforts his Lotto squad normally offers to him for the rest of the season! He does the same later this year again.

Lutsenko ain't at Omloop & KBK as well, he prefers to ride the Asian championships instead.

Apparently both Rowe & Stannard already got a light-peak for the upcoming semi-classics weekend. While Moscon slowly rides himself into shape prior to T-A & the major cobbled classics. Does that tell us anything regarding the new pecking order with Team Sky's classics line-up? Let's wait and see ...

Re:

staubsauger said:
Apparently both Rowe & Stannard already got a light-peak for the upcoming semi-classics weekend. While Moscon slowly rides himself into shape prior to T-A & the major cobbled classics. Does that tell us anything regarding the new pecking order with Team Sky's classics line-up? Let's wait and see ...

They would be mad (lol jk they already are) if they pick Moscon over Stannard.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site