• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Omloop het Nieuwsblad, Feb 25th, 198.3km

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Vanmarcke made a mistake in the sprint
yeah, I thought so as well, took the wrong line and kind of got boxed in a bit.

I think GVA will always be favourite in that kind of position though - especially with any kind of incline. He puts out the same quality sprint whether he's completely fresh or has been working hard for the last 50km - pretty amazing really. Sagan and Vanmarcke struggled much more with the efforts in their legs.

Gigs_98 said:
Did anyone not see this coming?
I really though Sagan learned something after GW but this was simply a replay of last years race.
Yep, from Sagan's point of view it was a replay of E3 last two years, Strade Bianche 2014 & 2016, Omloop last year and several other races. He can't work hard until the last few kms and also win a sprint. I thought he might have tried to go solo in last 5km, or just stop working, recover and wait for the bunch.

Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Irondan said:
Hugo Koblet said:
IndianCyclist said:
No, the mistake he made was how he rode the 198 km's before the sprint.
And how would that be? I thought he rode great...
Well for starters he shouldn't have taken any turns and then he probably shouldn't wait for the sprint either.
He didn't have much of a choice but to take turns pulling, but I'll agree that he shouldn't have waited for the sprint either.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Irondan said:
Hugo Koblet said:
IndianCyclist said:
No, the mistake he made was how he rode the 198 km's before the sprint.
And how would that be? I thought he rode great...
Me too. I think its close to impossible to drop GVA and Sagan.. banking on a lucky sprint was maybe his best bet.

Yeah but he shouldnt have chased down GVA's attack in the last 5k. That was just stupid. He should have let sagan close it down and then countered

Re:

BigMac said:
Sagan will win most of the races that matter, not even worried. :cool:
He may well do, but not if he relies on his sprint from a small group. He's had three big wins in his career - two he went solo and the other was a flat sprint where he'd been hidden in the bunch all day. Either of these two options is how he should really approach these races - the sprinting after working hard is the one beloved patriot in his armour.

TRENDING THREADS