• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Worlds Championships startlist

We're here to discuss national teams selections before the Worlds Championships, held this year in the rainy Bergen.

Nine riders teams

Belgium: Victor Campenaerts, Yves Lampaert, Laurent De Plus (all doing ITT), Greg Van Avermaet, Philippe Gilbert, Oliver Naesen, Tim Wellens, Dylan Teuns, Tiesj Benoot, Jasper Stuyven, Jens Keukeleire, Julien Vermote (all doing RR)
Colombia: Fernando Gaviria, Nairo Quintana, Rigoberto Uran, Jhonatan Restrepo, Jarlinson Pantano (also ITT), Sergio Henao, Sebastian Henao, Sebastian Molano, Nelson Andres Soto
Spain: Jesus Herrada, David de la Cruz, Jose Joaquin Rojas, Marc Soler, Luis Leon Sanchez, Luis Mas Bonet, Jonathan Castroviejo (also ITT), Gorka Izagirre (also ITT), Imanol Erviti
France: Julian Alaphilippe, Lilian Calmejane, Tony Gallopin, Anthony Roux, Warren Barguil, Cyril Gautier, Alexis Gougeard (also ITT), Olivier Le Gac, Julien Simon
Italia: Matteo Trentin, Elia Viviani, Sonny Colbrelli, Diego Ulissi, Gianni Moscon, Alberto Bettiol, Alessandro De Marchi, Daniele Bennati, Salvatore Puccio
Australia: Rohan Dennis (ITT only), Michael Matthews, Jay McCarthy, Heinrich Haussler, Mitchell Docker, Mathew Hayman, Luke Durbridge, Simon Clarke, Rory Sutherland, Jack Haig
Netherlands: Niki Terpstra, Tom Dumoulin (also ITT), Jos van Emden, Lars Boom, Danny van Poppel, Sebastian Langeveld, Bauke Mollema, Koen de Kort, Wout Poels, Wilco Kelderman (ITT only)
Great Britain: Owain Doull, Adam Blythe, Mark Christian, Peter Kennaugh, Jonathan Dibben, Ben Swift, Ian Stannard, Scott Thwaites, Tao Geogheghan Hart (also ITT), Chris Froome (ITT only)
Germany: Tony Martin (also ITT), Nikias Arndt, Marcus Burghardt, Johannes Fröhlinger, Simon Geschke, Paul Martens, Nils Politt, Jasha Sütterlin, Rick Zabel
Norway: Alexander Kristoff, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Daniel Hoelgaard, Amund Grøndahl Jansen, Vegard Stake Laengen, Sven Erik Bystrøm, August Jensen, Truls Korsæth, Odd Christian Eiking

Six riders teams

Poland: Michał Kwiatkowski, Łukasz Wiśniowski, Michał Gołaś, Pawel Poljanski, Maciej Bodnar (also ITT), Maciej Paterski
Slovakia: Peter Sagan, Juraj Sagan, Michael Kolar, Erik Baska, Marek Canecky, Patrik Tybor
Ireland: Daniel Martin, Nicolas Roche (also ITT), Connor Dunne, Ryan Mullen, Sean McKenna, Damien Shaw
Slovenia: Luka Mezgec, Primoz Roglič (also TT), Matej Mohorič, Jan Tratnik (also TT), Luka Pibernik, Jan Polanc
Denmark: Magnus Cort, Michael Valgren, Søren Kragh Andersen, Christopher Juul-Jensen, Mads Pedersen, Michael Mørkøv, Lasse Norman Hansen (ITT only), Toft Madsen (ITT only)
United States: Alexey Vermeulen, Nathan Brown, Alex Howes, Kiel Reijnen, Joey Rosskopf, Tejay Van Garderen
Switzerland: Michael Albasini, Silvan Dillier, Stefan Küng (also ITT), Fabian Lienhard, Gregory Rast, Michael Schär, Reto Hollenstein (ITT only)
Czech Republic
Portugal: José Gonçalves, Nelson Oliveira (also ITT), Ricardo Vilela, Rúben Guerreiro, Rui Costa (also ITT), Tiago Machado
Russia

Three riders teams

Luxembourg: Bob Jungels (also ITT), Jempy Drucker, Alex Kirsch
Austria: Lukas Pöstlberger (also ITT), Gregor Mühlberger, Marco Haller, Riccardo Zoidl (ITT only)
South Africa: Daryl Impey, Reinardt Janse Van Rensburg, Willem Smit
New Zealand: Patrick Bevin, Dion Smith, Jack Bauer, Hamish Bond (ITT only)
Canada: Antoine Duchesne, Hugo Houle, Guillaume Boivin
Belarus
Ukraine
Kazakhstan
Erithrea
Estonia: Alo Jakin, Aksel Nõmmela, Mihkel Räim

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Man, it will be funny to watch the colombian climbers trying to control a flat race for their sprinter :D

Who says they're trying to control it? I think a much better option would be to launch multiple attacks throughout the race and try to break it up. Don`t get me wrong, Gaviria is a great sprinter but he`ll have to compete with Sagan, the German`s sprinter of choice, the French sprinter of choice, Kristoff, etc. I think whittling the group down with attacks and then sitting on is a better choice.

Durden93 said:
Gigs_98 said:
Man, it will be funny to watch the colombian climbers trying to control a flat race for their sprinter :D

Who says they're trying to control it? I think a much better option would be to launch multiple attacks throughout the race and try to break it up. Don`t get me wrong, Gaviria is a great sprinter but he`ll have to compete with Sagan, the German`s sprinter of choice, the French sprinter of choice, Kristoff, etc. I think whittling the group down with attacks and then sitting on is a better choice.
Alaphilippe will be leader for France. All of our sprinters are not in optimal form, and the parcours isn't flat.

fauniera said:
Alexandre B. said:
Alaphilippe will be leader for France. All of our sprinters are not in optimal form, and the parcours isn't flat.
It is nearly flat though and way too easy for Alaphilippe. Demare was second in Hamburg, so he can't be in that bad a shape.
And a week later, in Plouay, he was dropped before the difficulties even started.

The Bergen parcours is really easy, only shallow "climbs", no Mur de Bretagne type of stuff. I'm happy for every team that comes without sprinters and wants to attack, i just don't think this strategy is going to work. With good weather this will be a bunch sprint. With bad weather we might have a race.

fauniera said:
The Bergen parcours is really easy, only shallow "climbs", no Mur de Bretagne type of stuff. I'm happy for every team that comes without sprinters and wants to attack, i just don't think this strategy is going to work. With good weather this will be a bunch sprint. With bad weather we might have a race.

It's a good thing it's raced in Bergen, then.

It's one of the wettest places on earth, September is one of the rainiest months there, and they usually have 240 rainy days per year. So it would be unlikely if it didn't rain but you never know, of course.

I think it suits people who do well in races like GP Plouay. It was designed for Kristoff, but EBH should be the Norwegian leader after his tour. Kristoff is having a good post Tour season which is going to help him. Sagan is genuinely the favourite for a third title in a row I think. At least next year he won't be able to win

Dumoulin to win both ITT and RR and win the Velo d'Or. Then he goes and wins Lombardia. Yeah, I said it.

Honestly though, Sagan will have five guys, but how many will last til the final three laps? It's hard to look past him but if other teams have some race intelligence they will isolate him and attack him relentlessly.

Re:

jsem94 said:
Dumoulin to win both ITT and RR and win the Velo d'Or. Then he goes and wins Lombardia. Yeah, I said it.

Honestly though, Sagan will have five guys, but how many will last til the final three laps? It's hard to look past him but if other teams have some race intelligence they will isolate him and attack him relentlessly.

Nobody. There is no difference between 3 or 6 people for Slovakia. It will be filled by some proconti guys. Last two championships were ride for Sagan favour more than usual. He has no team at all when he rides for NT. He is favourite obviously but his best chance is wait for reduced bunch sprint imo ans try to beat Kristoff, Dege, Demare, Trentin etc. That climb is too far to try it solo and we would see usual scenario for him. But I know he will be attacking at that climb for sure :D Besides sprinters guys like Kwiato, Greg or Ala could win in similar style lile this year San Remo.

TRENDING THREADS