• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018-20 Emerging Riders CQ Game

Cast your mind back to January 2015. How many of the following might you have expected to accumulate 900 CQ points or more between then and now? If you had managed all of them, you would have had the perfect score for the 2015-17 game. That is the challenge of the Emerging riders Game: what riders who currently have a lifetime total of fewer than 200 CQ points will score best by the end of 2020?

ROGLIC Primoz
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
NAESEN Oliver
LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel
MOSCON Gianni
LATOUR Pierre
MARECZKO Jakub
CALMEJANE Lilian
KÜNG Stefan
TORRES AGUDELO Rodolfo Andres
BUCHMANN Emanuel
CLAEYS Dimitri
BETTIOL Alberto
MCLAY Daniel
OOMEN Sam
ANDERSEN Søren Kragh
CAMPENAERTS Victor
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley

Your Team 18 riders, no budget restriction except that which applies to each rider.

Rider Eligibility Any rider who has a maximum of 199 CQ points through their career, so long as that title is not kept low because of results removed under doping sanctions. Here is a list of some who have appeared on CQ in recent years and are eligible, but it is not exclusive or exhaustive. When the Main Game and Youth Game teams are announced, I'll try to make a list of riders named therein that are eligible: that might be more manageable than this huge list.

Submitting your team PM to me, by the end of January (I operate on GMT/UTC), with just the rider names in CQ format.

My team has been sent to Rote Laterne, but I reserve the right to adjust it in the case of a rider emerging Gaviria-like before the deadline.

Scoring CQ points over the next three years, the end of 2020 update being the end. I might need to be alerted to points from one year that are deleted the next. I'll give updates monthly (at least that is the intention)

Entries Teams up to up to the original deadline: about ten hours from the datestamp on this post, but your team can't be checked (Bit of an extension, see latest post).
AlyKaptan
AmisVelo
Armchair_Cyclist
Blues_in_the_Bottle
Comodoro
Cordi333
DJW
Fauniera
Flo
Hakkie2
HugoKoblet
Joelsim
JonEzeitza
Josedin
Karaev
Kazistuta
Kryvo
Laarsland
Leadbelly
LosBrolin
Ludwigzgz
LukasCPH
Madrazo
Monsieur_Hulot
Nathanptz
NorthAmericanScum
RoteLaterne
Scrooll07
Shalgo
Skidmark
Squire
TheAsian
Trudgin
Vladimir

Good luck, and settle back for a long journey.

May 2, 2016
Visit site
I was having real trouble putting together a team for this game, so I have collated information from CQranking into a new database to make it a bit easier.

The database includes all riders that have scored at least one point between 2012 and 2017 (on the assumption that emerging riders wont have been active before then), and also all riders who have a team for 2018 (as of CQranking on 1/1/2018) but who have never scored a point.

The database can be filtered by age, team, level and 2012-2017 point total - and it makes it a lot easier to identify eligible riders and to focus on those that look the most promising.

I thought it might be useful for others - it can be downloaded here

Warning - I have mainly automated the creation of this so the data should largely be correct, but there may of course be the odd error.

Great job: you just need to be careful of riders for whom CQ have recorded different names. Pierre Latour, for example, has some years recorded as Pierre Roger Latour, and some as Pierre-Roger Latour. But that aside, so long as you are confident that the rider you want won't have scored pre-2012, just make sure that column B is less than 200.

May I copy the link to Velorooms, where the game runs in parallel?

Great to see that this game is a yearly tradition. Even though I have never challenged for any high places it really is a fun game and also helps follow young and promising riders. So I will definately participate again! Also thanks a lot to monsieur_hulot for the very helpful Excel file :razz:

I have already developed my base team. From now on, I will have to pay attention to the cyclists who walk well during the next two weeks. In total, my cyclists accumulated 2634 points in the year 2017.

Still plenty of time for entries, but for those who consider the several thousand rider strong lists of eligible riders a bit intimidating, here is a list of those selected for either the Youth or zero pointer game that are eligible for this one. There might, of course, be great picks for this game who were either ineligible or overlooked for those games. If you are in a hurry, just harvest 18 names from this list: someone has thought they have some promise.

ALMEIDA Joao Pedro Gonçalves
AMADOR CASTAÑO Juan Jose
ANDERSON Edward
APPELT Leo
ARENSMAN Thymen
ARMIRAIL Bruno
BALLESTEROS CANOVAS Miguel Angel
BANASZEK Norbert
BARBIER Pierre
BARCELO ARAGON Fernando
BARTA William
BARTHE Cyril
BASSO Leonardo
BELTRAN SUAREZ Edward Alexander
BERHANE Meron Abraham
BETOUIGT-SUIRE Clément
BJERG Mikkel
BOKELOH Jonas
BOL Cees
BONDARENKO-EDWARDS Sascha
BOU COMPANY Joan
BOUHANNI Rayane
BOWDEN Scott
BROWN Jonny
CABEDO CARDA Oscar
CANTON SERRANO Isaac
CARBONI Giovanni
CARDONA TABARES Julian
CASTIBLANCO CUBIDES Jorge Camilo
CASTRILLO ZAPATER Jaime
CHAVES RUBIO Brayan
CHERKASOV Nicolay
CHZHAN Igor
CIMA Imerio
CONCI Nicola
CRAS Steff
CUADROS MORATA Alvaro
DAVIES Scott
DE SMET Thibaut
DE VYLDER Lindsay
DE WITTE Mathias
DEWULF Stan
DLAMINI Nicholas
D'URBANO Marco
EEKHOFF Nils
EENKHOORN Pascal
EG Niklas
ERMENAULT Corentin
FABBRO Matteo
FLOREZ LOPEZ Miguel Eduardo
FOSS Tobias Svendsen
FRAME Alex
GALDOUNE Amine Ahmed
GAMPER Patrick
GAREL Adrien
GARRISON Ian
GAZZOLI Michele
GEE Derek
GHYS Robbe
GODRIE Stan
GOLDSTEIN Omer
GRIGNARD Sebastien
HABTOM Awet
HASLUND Peter
HAVIK Piotr
HEINSCHKE Leon
HENNESSY Jacob
HIRSCHI Marc
HJEMSAETER Olav
HODEG CHAGUI Alvaro Jose
HONORE Mikkel Frølich
HÖÖG Gustav
HOOLE Daan
IDJOUADIENE Pierre
INNOCENTI Andrea
JAKOBSEN Fabio
JOHANSEN Julius
JOLY Thomas
KASPERKIEWICZ Przemyslaw
KIERNER Florian
KLOC Dawid
KNOX James
LAFAY Victor
LARSEN Niklas
LECAMUS LAMBERT Florian
LEKNESSUND Andreas
LEROUX Samuel
LEYSEN Senne
LYONS Angus
MADOUAS Valentin
MÄRKL Niklas
MCNULTY Brandon
MENTEN Milan
MOBACH Jarno
MOKHTARI Hichem
MONK Cyrus
MORTIER Julien
MOSTOV Zeke
MÜLLER Patrick
NARVAEZ PRADO Jhonatan Manuel
NAVARRO Corentin
NIEUWENHUIS Joris
NIV Guy
ORSINI Umberto
OWEN Logan
PACINOTTI Niccolo
PADUN Mark
PARET-PEINTRE Aurélien
PEÑA MOLANO Wilson Estiben
PHILIPSEN Jasper
PIDCOCK Thomas
PLANCKAERT Emiel
POGACAR Tadej
PUCCIONI Dario
RAILEANU Cristian
RAJCHART Jan
RASTELLI Luca
RAUGEL Antoine
RENARD Alexis
RIABUSHENKO Aliaksandr
RICE Michael
RIOU Alan
ROBREDO CRESPO Alvaro
ROSA Massimo
RUSSO Clément
SALVADOR Enrico
SAMITIER SAMITIER Sergio
SAVINI Daniel
SCOTSON Callum
SCOTT Jacob
SELLIER Simon
SERRANO RODRIGUEZ Gonzalo
SEVILLA LOPEZ Diego Pablo
SIX Franklin
SOTO MARTINEZ Nelson Andres
STANNARD Robert
THIJSSEN Gerben
TOOVEY Ayden
TRARIEUX Julien
TURGIS Tanguy
TURNER Ben
ULYSBAYEV Dinmukhammed
VAN SCHIP Jan-Willem
VAN ZUMMEREN Stef
VANHOUCKE Harm
VINGEGAARD RASMUSSEN Jonas
VIVIANI Attilio
WARLOP Jordi
WELTEN Bram
WOOD Oliver
YOSHIDA Hayato
ZACCANTI Filippo
ZANA Filippo
ZIJLAARD Maikel

So far I have 12 teams in, with 84 different riders named, of whom 40 are unique picks and 8 are on at least half the teams.

Cordi333 said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Rider Eligibility Any rider who has a maximum of 199 CQ points through their career

Just 1 more :D http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider_palm.asp?riderid=23463&year=0&all=0&current=0

Yeah, in the first set of rules I happened to type 'less than 200' when I was actually thinking '200 or less', but quod scripsi, scripsi (as Pilate probably didn't say), and it has been under 200 ever since.

But as I said at the time, there has to be a non-negotiable line in the sand somewhere.

I want to participate in the game called "2018-20 Emerging Riders CQ Game", but I can not because I have sent few messages to the forum. I do not know if with this requirement I will be able to participate more!

Finally I was able to participate by sending my team through "Velorooms," a web site friend of Cyclingnews. I have also been able to subsequently renew my team through a friend who has participated in the forum for a long time. Let's see if I can finally access this forum without needing intermediaries. It is always interesting to participate in the forum, especially to be able to contrast different opinions.

Re:

rote_laterne said:
Looking forward to the revelation of the teams. Curious to see how many late entry teams have a particular rider.
I think I know which rider you mean, I picked him, and I'll have you know I sent in my team 2 weeks ago ;)
I'm actually a little miffed because I think he wouldn't have been too popular otherwise!

He was already on about half the teams, and of the handful of teams that have come in in the last few days, he hasn't been ubiquitous.

If anyone feels they have missed out on a revelation by virtue of sending in their squad early, you can change it up until the deadline on Wednesday night.

So far I have received 19 teams (listed in the opening post), including 5 who were not in the previous edition. Between them they have chosen 94 different riders in whom to invest their hopes, 42 of whom are unique picks, and 8 are on more than half the teams.

The current Collective Wisdom selection would have a popularity score of 172, while the popularity range for the entered teams ranges from 158 to 48.

You have until the last instant of January (UK time/UTC): that is a tad under 3 days 12 hours by the timestamp of this post lest there be any time-zone confusion.

Najar who is? That one that runs on a motorcycle, and without brakes to go faster? :D

This week there will be three races in stages (Bessèges, Valencia and Australia), in which young cyclists will participate. I have four of them. Let's see if we are lucky:

HAMILTON Lucas
POWLESS Neilson
FABBRO Matteo
GAZZOLI Michele

Re:

jon ezeitza said:
Najar who is? That one that runs on a motorcycle, and without brakes to go faster? :D

This week there will be three races in stages (Bessèges, Valencia and Australia), in which young cyclists will participate. I have four of them. Let's see if we are lucky:

HAMILTON Lucas
POWLESS Neilson
FABBRO Matteo
GAZZOLI Michele
The deadline hasn't passed yet so you probably shouldn't post your starting lineups. Also, how do you have Hamilton and Powless in your team? Did you post in the wrong thread? :D

Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
jon ezeitza said:

HAMILTON Lucas
POWLESS Neilson
FABBRO Matteo
GAZZOLI Michele
The deadline hasn't passed yet so you probably shouldn't post your starting lineups. Also, how do you have Hamilton and Powless in your team? Did you post in the wrong thread? :D

Don't think I'm giving away too many hints in saying that the post is in the wrong thread.

I have to apologize, because I made a mistake :redface: . I wanted to place it in YOUTH CQ RANKING GAME 2018 and I do not know how I ended up in this thread. Obviously, there are several cyclists who can not play part in this game.

So there has been a bit of a family emergency arise, and I am going to head directly from work to a relative 2 1/2 hours away tomorrow, and won't be back until late: too late to start formatting and posting teams and calculating popularity data. It also means that I won't be able to check eligibility of the teams that come in between 8am and midnight. (Teams listed in the OP are checked and all OK)

So if you send your team in tomorrow (unless very early) you wouldn't have any chance to change your team (if necessary). I will therefore extend until midday (UK time) on Thursday so that if my late night check on Wednesday reveals any problems they can be changed until then. And so I may as well allow entries until midday Thursday if you are happy to run the risk of riders being rejected, and I'll ask all to hold off until then on releasing your teams. I will do the usual team listings and number crunching late afternoon/early evening on Thursday.
;
Short version: Deadline is midnight if you hope I'll check it, or noon Thursday if you are confident you will get it right. No publishing teams until Thurs afternoon (all times GMT)

TRENDING THREADS