• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 FIFA World Cup XXI

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Brullnux said:
Alexandre B. said:
Brullnux said:
Peru vs Denmark was excellent too. Rarely do you see a team win 1-0 whilst conceding a penalty, so many chances and just generally being second best for about 75 minutes. I don't like saying wins are undeserved, but I think that one was. Peru tore them apart but just somehow couldn't score, with a mixture of Schmeichel and bad finishing - apparently their xGoals were 1.7.
Penalties immensely help for xGoals.
They still had two or three other clear cut chances that schmeichel saved or they missed.

Germany lose!
Speaking of an undeserved win...
Not at all. In terms of chances created, Mexico had a lot more. Germany were terrible.
How would you define a goal scoring chance? If you look at shots, 25-12 in Germany's favor. Now I only watched the 2nd half, and Germany had lots of chances there, while I only saw a few dangerous counter attacks from Mexico

A lot of the shots were from pretty long range, while Mexico had more one on ones and even blew some very good chances which they really should have scored. They also had a decent penalty shout imo. Mind you, I was very emotionally invested in the Peru match for some reason so I may have been biased.

Predictions for today*, Sweden to win in a close one, Belgium to put a stamp down as one of the favourites (apart from Spain so far), Tunisia to draw with England.

*I've lost a lot of money so far gambling on this WC.

There's a joke here somewhere about another bad German experience in Moscow ... :)

So the way things are going England & Belgium might have troubles getting one goal between them - England especially so (though if Rashford plays ... mmm ... maybe 1-0 )

Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Brullnux said:
Alexandre B. said:
Brullnux said:
Peru vs Denmark was excellent too. Rarely do you see a team win 1-0 whilst conceding a penalty, so many chances and just generally being second best for about 75 minutes. I don't like saying wins are undeserved, but I think that one was. Peru tore them apart but just somehow couldn't score, with a mixture of Schmeichel and bad finishing - apparently their xGoals were 1.7.
Penalties immensely help for xGoals.
They still had two or three other clear cut chances that schmeichel saved or they missed.

Germany lose!
Speaking of an undeserved win...
Not at all. In terms of chances created, Mexico had a lot more. Germany were terrible.
Well, Germany had the best chance even before Mexico scored... In the 20th minute, Werner failed to spot Draxler right in front of him who could have easily scored provided he'd have kept his nerve. Anyway, Plattenhardt was basically non-existent on the left, Kimmich was playing very aggressively on the right, opening up all kinds of space for Mexico on the counter attack. You really don't want to end up with Özil having to defend 1v1 in the box. The main reason for the 1-0 though was the overly ambitious and unnecessary attempt by Hummels to win the ball back early in midfield, IMO.

Brazil not the best start but they at least did better than Spain in 2010. Suisse is just a very tough team to play against. And it sure doesn't help if the referee allows way too much fouls, which is really annoying.

Refereeing overall has been a real joke anyway so far.

Really annoys me listening to commentators justyfying (Lee Dixon I think, just because you got away with it at Arenal) the Swiss goal against Brazil. Clear push on the Brazillian defender, should have gone to VAR.

otoh Brazil have only themselves to blame for not winning, basically going defensive after they scored, that might be OK deep into 2nd half, but not halfway through first half.

Aslo ref should have booked more Swiss player for blatant play stopping challenges,

I thought Miranda was just a bit weak there. There's always a bit of tussle in the box, and often worse stuff is not given. Afaik everything goes to var, and they then decide if it's a 'clear and obvious mistake' or whatever. I think refereeing has been bad in the midfield but var has been used pretty well for major decisions.

Yeah, the score definitely doesn't tell the whole story. England were the better team throughout. This could have easily been 5-1 or 6-1. They'll have to finish better if they want to go far in this tournament. They'll most likely get past Panama (though nothing is certain at this world cup, and it is England we are talking about here...), but Belgium will not be so kind in missed chances. That match should be entertaining. Both teams like to attack and both have the talent, though i'd give Belgium the edge at the moment.

After the second game (for each team), we might get a much better indicator of how things will play out and who is in form.

Re:

Laplaz said:
Croatia-Argentina 3-1. Pathetic match by the Seleccion and pathetic Sampaoli. Croatia deserved to win today and now they will probably face Denmark in the next round, so a good chance to reach the quarter finals.
Probably a typo, but Argentina didn't score.
I'm pointing this out 'cause the goal difference might be decisive for the second place.
Doesn't look good for Argentina.

...not to say they win it all, but France is 2-0, building up it seems. Power-houses need to be scared: there are no "small" teams anymore. Players are all over, it used to be "the Germans are big, strong, and fit but not smart" vs. "the English have no mid-field, kick and run", "Africans are 10 #9 no defense" et caetera...globalization has changed the game. All teams are fundamentally sound. "No small team" was said in '82, the first sign, but it wasn't really true. Only two foreigners in a first-league team back then in Europe. Coaches remained in their country. We are now seeing global football. No more stereotypes. Anyone, on a good day, can win.

Re:

Laplaz said:
Croatia-Argentina 3-1. Pathetic match by the Seleccion and pathetic Sampaoli. Croatia deserved to win today and now they will probably face Denmark in the next round, so a good chance to reach the quarter finals.
not if the Danes lose to France and Australia beat peru 2-0... down to goal difference, it will be

This Argentina reminds me a lot of Argentina 2010 under Maradona. Some top quality players and some mediocre ones, but most of all, a very poor collective. No team, no tactic.

If they do manage to go through to knock-outs, they will be slaughtered by France, just like Germany did to them back then.

And oh yeah, Messi is a lazy br*t.

Looking at him during his matches (also with Barça but the team playing all for him tends to make it less noticeable except for some Champions League matches where Barça has suffered) make me think that he didn't train properly anymore, he literally walk for almost the entire match waiting only the right chance. In the last clasico he made two sharp aceleration when he scrored the goal and then he was on he knees for the rest of the second half, i remember he was catched by the camera a couple of time bent over and breathless.

TRENDING THREADS