• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 FIFA World Cup XXI

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On the real though, if Colombia want anything from that England game, we need James 100% fit. Quintero has been amazing this World Cup, but he can only do so much. In fact, his fire usually dims after an hour because he doesn't have the stamina for a full match. In his younger years, he was deemed to be far more talented than James, but he is like the Betancur of football. He doesn't care (enough) and would rather be a musician than a footballer.

Escarabajo said:
Tonton said:
On French TV, at the '82 World Cup, I heard, for the first time that "there are no small teams". It takes a very good team to make it to the big dance. That year, Germany and Austria gave us the most disgraceful display and Algeria (who had beaten Germany) was eliminated...the reason why final games are simultaneous today. And same World Cup, semi-final, Schumacher...'nuf said: I have had a beef with Germany ever since. Insult added to injury in '86. Today was a great day for me. Sorry my German friends :eek: . Humble pie.

Great Mundial.
I remember that game and the upset people on the stands. I remember my uncle telling me, "That game was fixed at a table last night". I was upset to watch the display of soccer on that game as well.
It was an absolute disgrace, they didn't even try to hide it.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44649668
'mind-boggling farce'

In scenes reminiscent of West Germany's infamous 1-0 win over Austria in 1982, Japan and Poland saw out the game at walking pace.

Despite having attacking players such as Keisuke Honda and Shinji Kagawa on their bench, Japan brought on midfielder Makoto Hasebe, their captain, for forward Yoshinori Muto and sat deep.

They passed the ball around their defence and midfield when they had it, never crossing the halfway by more than a few yards. They let Poland - for whom this was a first win of the tournament - play in non-dangerous areas.

The crowd booed and whistled - just as they had 36 years ago when the 'Disgrace of Gijon' eliminated Algeria. Following that controversy, group stages were changed so the games finished at the same time.

Re:

King Boonen said:
Nowt wrong with Poland Vs. Japan, although it would have been funny if Colombia had waited until the final whistle went in that game and then just banged it into their own net.

That is not going to happen, Sengal getting a late equaliser though

Japan took a risk, nothing like the pre-ordained conclusion of West Germany v Austria

If the Japan game had finished first, and if 2nd place in this group had been the door to the "easier" quarterfinal (Belgium and England considered equal obstructions), then I wonder if there might have been a Red Sea like parting of the Colombian defence in the last minute.

There have been cases in the past of sports teams being charged with fraud for not seeking a result, on account of the damages to those who placed a bet on the reasonable expectation of them trying to win. Anyone who put a bet on Poland Japan being a draw want to earn themselves some world-wide publicity?

Re: Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Most disgusting match of World Cup 2018: Poland vs Japan

And you said that before the match, yet alone before the last 10 minutes of non-aggression pact.
No, I wrote it after the match, but in fact it was it most disguisting already in 80' minutes..

But now we have the match with great expectations: ARG-FRA...

Can someone explain to me why France-Argentina is today? Logically, the round of 16 games would follow the same order as the group games, so that not only would Uru-Por go first--as is the case--but the other game today would be Spain-Russia. And so on, with the Group C/D teams playing their games tomorrow. As it is, France and Argentina have only three days of rest before playing, while Spain and Russia--and I guess other teams on that side of the bracket--get five.

France is less good than I thought before this tournament. They got an early lead and barely couldn't do anything with the huge amounts of space they were presented on a silver plate. Though they're probably instructed to play like this by their cowardly coach.

Merckx index said:
Can someone explain to me why France-Argentina is today? Logically, the round of 16 games would follow the same order as the group games, so that not only would Uru-Por go first--as is the case--but the other game today would be Spain-Russia. And so on, with the Group C/D teams playing their games tomorrow. As it is, France and Argentina have only three days of rest before playing, while Spain and Russia--and I guess other teams on that side of the bracket--get five.
The only reason could be quarter final on Friday between winners of today's matches - the same time to rest for the today's winners.

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
The only reason could be quarter final on Friday between winners of today's matches - the same time to rest for the today's winners.

Thanks, yes, that makes sense. Given the way the bracket is set up, there's no way there can't be some inequalities in the days of rest for games, and I guess the reasoning is that it's better that those inequalities occur between the last of the group games (where many teams may be resting some of their starters, anyway) and the first game of the KO round, rather than between KO games.

Merckx index said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:

Thanks, yes, that makes sense. Given the way the bracket is set up, there's no way there can't be some inequalities in the days of rest for games, and I guess the reasoning is that it's better that those inequalities occur between the last of the group games (where many teams may be resting some of their starters, anyway) and the first game of the KO round, rather than between KO games.
Yes. And what to say, we have now excellent match! Mbappé is amazing!

Some great goals and a good game to watch, but I was not impressed with France against an Argentinian side that has looked pretty woeful. They’ll have to seriously up their overall game to stay in the tournament. At least they can score chances so it’s not impossible.

Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
The best match so far, Mbappé amazing, France no doubt in semifinal after the match with the winner of URU-POR
France are excellent against teams which play open football and leave spaces to counter into. Uruguay don't do that. Argentina were much better today than earlier in the tournament, but Uruguay will be a much sterner test.

Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
The best match so far, Mbappé amazing, France no doubt in semifinal after the match with the winner of URU-POR
France are excellent against teams which play open football and leave spaces to counter into. Uruguay don't do that. Argentina were much better today than earlier in the tournament, but Uruguay will be a much sterner test.
You may be right, but let's wait 10 minutes..

2 good goals from Cavani - hope he's fit for the next match. Portugal were poor going forward but Uruguay have a good defence - Argentina showed France give the opposition chances so the France - Uruguay will be interesting.

TRENDING THREADS