• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Giro d'Italia stage 11: Assisi – Osimo 156 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

The Chicken said:
On Etna Yates could've gone way earlier than 2KM but ofc we all know an off script Chaves wrecked that possibility. If Yates has even 80% of his Etna form he'd be capable again of attacking way before 2KM to go point. Trouble is Dumoulin is miraculously getting stronger. *rolls eyes*

You keep referencing some "script" that Chaves didn't follow. Where is this "script" and where can I find the same for all the other teams so that I can see what their plans are for each stage?

Re:

Oude Geuze said:
Great stage today, classic Dumoulin diesel vs high octane flying black pudding, it was a nail biter for sure. 200m more of the flats and I think it would be even. I still feel like Yates could crack, best case scenario would be him and major Tom popping together and bring everyone back in contention before the itt:p The giro delivers year after year!

BTW please stop feeding the chicken. I mean, seriously...

My bad. I just keep feeling the need to rescue him from himself and bring him to the light. :p

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
IMO a rider who's MO is gaining time in the TTs and limiting his losses in the mountains, is bound to be somewhat boring. Fortunately, to counter this, the other GC contenders are forced to ride in an interesting style.

Re: Re:

Angliru said:
The Chicken said:
On Etna Yates could've gone way earlier than 2KM but ofc we all know an off script Chaves wrecked that possibility. If Yates has even 80% of his Etna form he'd be capable again of attacking way before 2KM to go point. Trouble is Dumoulin is miraculously getting stronger. *rolls eyes*

You keep referencing some "script" that Chaves didn't follow. Where is this "script" and where can I find the same for all the other teams so that I can see what their plans are for each stage?

lol are you trolling me? Do you really not understand this? Lordy lord, if I must explain this...

By "off script" I mean not part of the team plan i.e. not in the pre-stage team meeting. We know this FOR A FACT due to members of the MS team admitting as much during the post Etna stage interviews - take a look for yourself! Did I really need to explain that?

The Chicken said:
Tarnum said:
IMO a rider who's MO is gaining time in the TTs and limiting his losses in the mountains, is bound to be somewhat boring. Fortunately, to counter this, the other GC contenders are forced to ride in an interesting style.

Thank you. Finally, an intelligent person in here (other than me).

Let’s stop with the backhanded insults and borderline trolling/baiting posts, please.

If you’d like to discuss further then feel free to PM me or go to the moderators thread.

Angliru said:
The Chicken said:
Dumoulin is going to win this Giro and everyone but the Dutch are going to be disappointed :( He is boring to watch and even boring to listen to. Next year the Giro organisers will have ZERO TT KM in their race in the hope of dissuading Dumoulin from returning and yet again boring the viewers half to death. :(

Wow. The Chicken has inside tracks on teams' stage-by-stage tactical strategies AND on how all the fans will react and feel should Dumoulin win the Giro. That is some crystal ball you have there. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's the egg that hatched the universe.........Dumoulin is doing exactly what he needs to do. Anything else would be stupid. Methinks the chicken is hypnotized by the black and white stripes.

Re:

Tarnum said:

Just what i was about to say. He makes the race interesting simply by being there. I could totally see Yates sucking wheels today until the last 50m if it wasn't for Major Tom.

Re:

Põhja Konn said:
The comparison with Menchov-Di Luca duel from 2009 that was brought up earlier in the thread was quite good, but I wouldn't be suprised at all if we see the reenactment of Basso vs Evans on the Zoncolan. With Dumoulin in the role of Basso and Yates as Evans.

Whichever way things end up to be, current situation is thouroughly intriguing and captivating.
Dumoulin as Basso? Nah.
If anything, I could see Dumoulin trying to do a Cadel and hanging on til the last couple of ks. The difference is that if he doesn't know when to let go and ride at his own pace he'll 2 minutes and not 20 seconds or whatever it was.