• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Winter Olympics doping thread

Let's get the ball rolling:

Japanese speed skater Kei Saito has become the first athlete to be excluded from the 2018 Winter Olympics for a doping violation.

Saito failed an out-of-competition doping test prior to the Games, the Court of Arbitration for Sport said.

The 21-year-old had not yet competed in the Games but was due to compete in the men's 5,000m relay on Tuesday.

He tested positive for acetalozamide, a banned diuretic which is considered a masking agent.

The CAS statement said Saito had left the athletes' Olympic Village voluntarily and would be provisionally suspended from the Olympics and other competitions pending a full investigation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43040184

TMP402 said:

Japanese speed skater Kei Saito has become the first athlete to be excluded from the 2018 Winter Olympics for a doping violation.

Saito failed an out-of-competition doping test prior to the Games, the Court of Arbitration for Sport said.

The 21-year-old had not yet competed in the Games but was due to compete in the men's 5,000m relay on Tuesday.

He tested positive for acetalozamide, a banned diuretic which is considered a masking agent.

The CAS statement said Saito had left the athletes' Olympic Village voluntarily and would be provisionally suspended from the Olympics and other competitions pending a full investigation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43040184

Nice find. I honestly thought it would be the Norway x-country team.

Tricycle Rider said:
TMP402 said:
Not much rolling going on at these Winter Olympics by the anti-doping officials (politicians), is there?

Just one athlete so far - crikes, you gotta be kidding me!

Not even one athlete...it was an out of competition fail prior to the games:
Saito failed an out-of-competition doping test prior to the Games, the Court of Arbitration for Sport said

Re:

Parker said:
Britain won a gold medal today. They got three medals in one day for the first time ever. What is wrong with you people?
Britain being good at skeleton is not surprising, and the only other sport they've got a medal in is slopestyle. You ask most people the drug they associate with people who do those frivolous X-Games stuntriding sports, the one that comes up most often isn't a performance enhancer. And there's not been any talk of doping in the skeleton, but there has been a controversy about the race suits along the lines of the track cyclists' Rio gear, but I know too little about skeleton to really understand whether there's anything to it.

You seem to be hoping for somebody to jump in and confirm your preconceived notion that the Clinic just hates the British, but while that's not an entirely unreasonable preconception, surely the fact that Britain's best ever Winter Olympic day attraction zero attention in the Clinic is a pointer that perhaps it's not Britain in and of itself that has caused the reactions in the Clinic, but rather its sports administration and regulation which, coinciding with the unprecedented level of success across a number of sports off the back of a number of individuals, some more suspicious, some less suspicious, making up just one element of the reason there is a disproportionate amount of attention paid to the British in the Clinic. I personally don't think winning three medals in skeleton and one in slopestyle - mostly from people who were considered before the Games to be among the medal contenders as far as I know - really merits much Clinic attention at all unless any of the four had any previous.

Was there a article about the effect of Meldonium anywhere that I could be linked to ?

Had a friend (who is in medicine) suggest it wasn't performance enhancing, so a good article to link them to would be appreciated

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Parker said:
Britain won a gold medal today. They got three medals in one day for the first time ever. What is wrong with you people?

Gold medal for GB ala Froome. She was born in and still lives in US.

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Re:

Catwhoorg said:
Was there a article about the effect of Meldonium anywhere that I could be linked to ?

Had a friend (who is in medicine) suggest it wasn't performance enhancing, so a good article to link them to would be appreciated

look up sharapova on this and other forum it seems there are a few papers on its PE effects

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
I don't understand why these stupid Russians don't just apply for TUE's. I mean it works for Americans, Brits, Canadians and Norwegians. Why make it difficult?
Maybe they've anticipated future problems with TUE's hance they've avoided them.

In the biathlon, Kuzmina has been exceptional and suspicious, while Dahlmeier has seemed ok as her advantage has been her shooting and also she's fatigued enormously. Wierer has appeared extremely clean and likewise the French and all the other germans, while the Swedes (men and women) has far surpassed expectations. In the men, the Germans have been very strong but not to a point of ridiculousness, and boe and fourcade have been themselves, if in the case of boe slightly disappointing.

TRENDING THREADS