• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Critérium du Dauphiné stage 2 Mauriac to Craponne 180km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Lequack said:
Does winning the Dauphine also mean you have to win the Tour?

You don't have to but usually if you ride for Team Sky then you do. Not sure about Ineos, we'll see.

TDF 2019 is already over . . . I can tell just by looking at Froome today. The Thin Man is very scary (and still seething from last year, having to watch GT in yellow). There will still be interesting story lines to follow in the Tour, though. For instance, who will finish second? How long will LRP avoid catastrophic misfortune? etc.

JosephK said:
Rollthedice said:
Lequack said:

You don't have to but usually if you ride for Team Sky then you do. Not sure about Ineos, we'll see.

TDF 2019 is already over . . . I can tell just by looking at Froome today. The Thin Man is very scary (and still seething from last year, having to watch GT in yellow). There will still be interesting story lines to follow in the Tour, though. For instance, who will finish second? How long will LRP avoid catastrophic misfortune? etc.

Let's not forget the man who will wear no.1. It's not Froome.

Broccolidwarf said:
Lequack said:

Not with this route ;)

But, it's still the 4th "biggest" stage race in the world, so winning that is better than coming 5th at the tour, for most riders.

I fail to see how is the Dauphine bigger race than Paris-Nice, Tirreno or Pais Vasco for example? I ranked them pretty equal, with Catalunya, Romandie and Tour de Suisse slightly below.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I'd rate Dauphine higher than Pais Vasco. I dont know why, really.

P-N
Dauphine
Tirreno
Vasco
Romandie
Suisse
Catalunya
I think any of those (with the possible exception of Romandie, who would admit to ranking below Suisse, for obvious reasons) would probably claim in their publicity materials that they’re the biggest non-GT stage race.

Suisse has the advantage of being the biggest “other” national tour.

Blanco said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Lequack said:

Not with this route ;)

But, it's still the 4th "biggest" stage race in the world, so winning that is better than coming 5th at the tour, for most riders.

I fail to see how is the Dauphine bigger race than Paris-Nice, Tirreno or Pais Vasco for example? I ranked them pretty equal, with Catalunya, Romandie and Tour de Suisse slightly below.

I think the main reason would be that it falls basically in the middle of GT season, and any contender in Dauphiné, is bound to be in close to top shape. Which is not the case (or not to the same extent) for the other one week stage races you mentioned.

Good for Teuns finally getting another win. Smartest man of the day - Tommy D for testing his knee out then sitting back and watching the others fight it out amongst themselves. The TT will show how well the knee is.

Kruijswijk, Bardet, Porte and Dan Martin manage to lose 30 seconds on a 3 km climb and then a 18 km run in? Geezus ...

Re:

movingtarget said:
A Dauphine win is usually seen as more of a prize than a Paris Nice win because it's a harder race. Second biggest stage race on the French calendar. A higher quality race for the GC riders.

This. Looks at the list of winners in the last decade. Filled with more GT winners than Paris-Nice or any other 1 week stage race.

dastott said:
movingtarget said:
A Dauphine win is usually seen as more of a prize than a Paris Nice win because it's a harder race. Second biggest stage race on the French calendar. A higher quality race for the GC riders.

This. Looks at the list of winners in the last decade. Filled with more GT winners than Paris-Nice or any other 1 week stage race.
And more monument winners

Blanco said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Lequack said:

Not with this route ;)

Because Dauphine is usually the most hotly contested 1 week race on the calendar (except when they experiment with the calendar).

Obviously (I hope), I mean "for GC riders"..... there are other stage races, for other rider types, but in terms of the dedicated stage race riders, I think Dauphine is rated right below the Grand Tours.

TRENDING THREADS