• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 12: Cuneo - Pinerolo 158km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
Red Rick said:
Gigs_98 said:
I don't know, maybe I'm too pessimistic but I think everyone expecting fireworks will be disappointed. Domestiques are fresh, there is only one proper climb the whole day and frankly there is too little to gain to make taking those risks worth it. Like how big do you think gaps could be? If the stage works out absolutely brilliantly for a gc contender I still don't see him gaining more than 30 seconds on most other gc riders but for that you have to ride 20 kilometers on the flat using huge amounts of energy with three days in a row looming which all look more important than this one.
That's why you cram every single one of yer teammates in teh breakaway
Is that worth it though? I'd really save them for the following stages instead of letting them waste their energy on a stage where most likely nothing big is gonna happen anyway.
You can also increase gaps on the flat.

Friday is a pretty straightforward MTF in that regard, and Saturday could well be everything together on the San Carlo.
Man, I don't know. Of course if there is complete mayhem someone who is in front might be hard to catch for small groups behind or there could be tactical games behind, but I mean full mayhem? How often do we see full mayhem on the first mountain stage, how often do we see mayhem if there isn't a mtf, how often do we see full mayhem if additionally there are twenty flat kilometers at the end and how often do we see mayhem on a stage with three harder days following. I just don't see it.

But have we ever had three 'rest' days before such a stage? Perhaps a Landa or a Lopez will just feel so good that they will not be able to resist attacking, and really, those guys cannot let any opportunities to gain half or minute or more pass, given the amount of time that they are already behind.

Cycling Fans website have this profile which seems wrong - is this the original planned route? 146 km instead of 158 km -
2019_giro_d_italia_stage12_profile1.jpg

edit - I see Eshnar had 146 km down for this stage too.

Finally some mountains. Some riders like Yates will play it moderly safe today. Maybe give it a go but if he cannot drop Roglic and Nibali then I dont see him pushing for it. If the break survives then they will take it. Maybe Sunweb could try something. De Gendt will win a stage in this Giro but this is not the one.

Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
+ Polanc is a better climber and could potentially sneak a half decent GC. He was 11th in 2017

Yates is now about 8 virtual minutes down and no men in the break. Wouldn't it be wise for MS to work a bit?
Probably too busy eating pringles for backstage pass to think about it.

Ideally should've just had Chaves in that break but now I think they should start riding before the gap gets really crazy