• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 17: Commezzadura - Anterselva 181km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I thought riders couldn't sign deals until August. If a player signed a contract outside of the legal period in basketball or something it would be void and big fines for the team. This is just stupid, basically anybody can sign anybody even while they are in contract? I get it if it's just a wink wink agreement but if that is the case Carapaz would be stupid to throw away such value

Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
Scarponi said:
del1962 said:
HelloDolly said:
Wiggo say on #thebreakaway that he is not happy Carapaz may go to INEOS we as wont see him thrive and will miss attacking riding as he rides the train
Of all the riders to benefit from the train Wiggo got the most out of it i'd say

He readily admitted he benefited from it, but Team Ineos/Sky are even stronger now
2012 was the worst though on that first MTF, I think they had 5 of 8 left.

Well Froome,Porte and Rogers at the time were better climbers than Wiggo

We only get good racing if INEOS have a weak team ....God help us at the Tour with Froome, Thomas, Bernal,Poels, Kwaito, etc

And for ever more with Bernal,Shivkov, Sosa, Dunbar ...and Carapaz
2012 wiggo was the second best climber in the race, thought might not fit the narrative you want it too. To suggest otherwise is utter horseshit.

I wonder why Jumbo Visma didn't call Bouwman back from the break to help tow Roglic to Landa. He basically finished by himself 2 minutes ahead of the GC guys, but also almost 3 minutes down on the stage winner.

This is from their stage report (translated):
https://www.teamjumbovisma.nl/artikel/nieuws/roglic-ziet-roze-trui-iets-verder-uitlopen-in-giro-ditalia/

"I think it was good that I was in the leading group," said Bouwman. “That gives peace of mind to Primoz, because there is always someone in the front if it is a war among the classification riders. Just like yesterday, today the plan was to send Antwan or me in the flight of the day, so that we could support Primoz later in the stage. In the end, little happens in the peloton. This allowed me to ride for myself, but I soon felt that I could not compete for the win. "

Singer01 said:
HelloDolly said:
Scarponi said:
del1962 said:
HelloDolly said:
Wiggo say on #thebreakaway that he is not happy Carapaz may go to INEOS we as wont see him thrive and will miss attacking riding as he rides the train
Of all the riders to benefit from the train Wiggo got the most out of it i'd say

He readily admitted he benefited from it, but Team Ineos/Sky are even stronger now
2012 was the worst though on that first MTF, I think they had 5 of 8 left.

Well Froome,Porte and Rogers at the time were better climbers than Wiggo

We only get good racing if INEOS have a weak team ....God help us at the Tour with Froome, Thomas, Bernal,Poels, Kwaito, etc

And for ever more with Bernal,Shivkov, Sosa, Dunbar ...and Carapaz
2012 wiggo was the second best climber in the race, thought might not fit the narrative you want it too. To suggest otherwise is utter horseshit.

I am not fitting any narrative juts making a comment with my opinion..you know a forum with opinions ?
Someone rattle your cage that you think its fine to be an aggressive p***k becasue you dont agree ..now thats horseshit :rolleyes:

Re:

saunaking said:
I thought riders couldn't sign deals until August. If a player signed a contract outside of the legal period in basketball or something it would be void and big fines for the team. This is just stupid, basically anybody can sign anybody even while they are in contract? I get it if it's just a wink wink agreement but if that is the case Carapaz would be stupid to throw away such value
Well, if it's a wink wink agreement, Carapaz has just likely added a bunch to his demands.

If it's a formal agreement, Sky/Ineos have shown in the past that they don't really care about, and can pay, the fines, as they bought out the Sosa deal and were happy to pay off the fine he got for breaking his contract(s).

And if Movistar come back with a better offer now that his value just skyrocketed, then they'll probably be forced to pay off any fines should Richi choose to stay, just as Ineos did to get Sosa.

hellodolly. 'I am not fitting any narrative juts making a comment with my opinion..you know a forum with opinions ?'

Opinions devoid of evidence or reason are a waste of time. Nonsense shouldnt be allowed to be spread, it needs to be challenged.

Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 17: Commezzadura - Anterselva 1

To those saying it's over, here's how it looked last year:

General classification after stage 17
# Rider Name (Country) Team Result
1 Simon Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott 69:59:11
2 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb 0:00:56
3 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Bahrain-Merida 0:03:11
4 Chris Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:03:50
5 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ 0:04:19
6 Rohan Dennis (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:05:04
7 Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana Pro Team 0:05:37
8 Pello Bilbao (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:06:02
9 Richard Carapaz (Ecu) Movistar Team 0:06:07
10 George Bennett (NZl) LottoNL-Jumbo 0:07:01

Valv.Piti said:
Scarponi said:
Stage 20 still has me slightly scared for Carapez
Why? Movistar has proven to be, actually by far, the strongest team in the race. That means a lot, especially on such a stage as stage 20. And Carapaz had his best days in the last weekend last year on the hardest days of the Giro.

Doesn't matter how strong his team is if he himself bonks.

Re:

Bolder said:
Also -- how is Bauke Mollema ahead of Lopez? By rights Lopez should be in 2nd-3rd-4th right now. He's a really strong rider who might not be applying his skills in the most efficient way.
- Lopez is not the best tactically speaking
- He lost too much time in the TT.
- Mollema was in a breakaway and have managed to defend the gained time

Chavez after the stage

D7wRB5cW4AY-ubp.jpg

RunningRouleur said:

but There is NO Chris Froome type of rider in this year's Giro capable to pull such atrocity, like the one Froome did - There is no way Nibs or Roglic can pull a "Finestre" on Carapaz

hfer07 said:
RunningRouleur said:

but There is NO Chris Froome type of rider in this year's Giro capable to pull such atrocity, like the one Froome did - There is no way Nibs or Roglic can pull a "Finestre" on Carapaz
But they don't need to, all they need is put 1:30 at him and this is possible

Escarabajo said:
Bolder said:
Also -- how is Bauke Mollema ahead of Lopez? By rights Lopez should be in 2nd-3rd-4th right now. He's a really strong rider who might not be applying his skills in the most efficient way.
- Lopez is not the best tactically speaking
- He lost too much time in the TT.
- Mollema was in a breakaway and have managed to defend the gained time

i was being a bit charitable. i'm a big fan, but hopefully someday he'll overcome those deficiencies. I agree about the tactical part -- did he really think he'd gain time attacking 1 km from the top of the Mortirolo with a downhill plus 15 km drag to the finish? I just think his upside is much higher than Mollema's (who shows his own flashes of greatness, to be fair)

hfer07 said:
RunningRouleur said:

Manghen is some 35km farther to the finish than Finestre, Sky dropped all the doms leaving just a few captains hanging by a thread when Froome attacked, Dumoulin didn't understand that it's now a one on one until the finish and found himself in a group with people who had different goals. Froome found Jesus. So, it's impossible to replicate.

TRENDING THREADS