• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 18: Valdaora-Santa Maria d.S. 220km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

The Barb said:
Lequack said:
Laplaz said:
Yeah, breakaway could succeed here. I give them a 20% chance. Although it will highly depend on who is in.

You're far too optimistic, the chance is more like 1-5%.

I am completely the other way. I think the chances of the break succeeding are better than 80%. We'll see, I guess.
I agree. Maybe not 80%, but surely closer to 80 than 5

So... Ackermann to win from the break?! :D

It's over, they already made a full pink bike for Carapaz. They know it's a done deal.

D7zUzDqXoAAoP5j.jpg

I like sprints, and I've really enjoyed the sprints at this race so far. The front-loading of sprint stages, which I know many found boring, helped attract a pretty high quality sprinter field (especially by Giro standards). I liked the spread of winners, and the fact that most sprints were pretty clean, with most sprinters being given a good opportunity to take their chances (or screw up) on their own terms. I also appreciate that Ackermann and Demare have hauled themselves over the mountains in pursuit of another sprint win or the points classification jersey, or both. The last time I enjoyed a points classification battle at the Giro like this was the classic Evans v Vino battle in 2010. I hope this stage comes down to a sprint, and I'd like to see Demare win it, but I think Ackermann has the edge.

Lequack said:
F_Cance said:
Disappointing break.

The break knows when it has no chance that's why it's usually just a couple of guys from the invite teams doing it for the sponsors. If the break had any kind of chance you'd see a much larger bunch. That's why these designated sprint finish days are so boring.
that was not the case today though, it took 50k at full speed for the breakaway to establish.

And I would say with Cycling Academy keeping the gap that low, it may not be over yet even. I wouldn't be surprised if Androni closes it down before the climb (to prevent Cima from taking the Sprint Competition) and the battle begins again.

Lequack said:
F_Cance said:
Disappointing break.

The break knows when it has no chance that's why it's usually just a couple of guys from the invite teams doing it for the sponsors. If the break had any kind of chance you'd see a much larger bunch. That's why these designated sprint finish days are so boring.
Yep, Bakelants and Hansen tried but got caught and understood they have no chance today

Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 18: Valdaora-Santa Maria d.S. 2

fuiers said:
What just happened? Somebody destroyed a bike in front of break:D
I was only listening to RAI coverage and they were talking about some crazy guy throwing stuff.
I could not see what happened, fortunately nobody got hurt.

EDIT: it has just been reported by RAI that, apparently, he was a bit inebriated and wanted to participate in today's stage, he was obbiously denied that, so he lost his marbles

TRENDING THREADS