2019 Giro d'Italia, Stage-by-Stage Analysis

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
Seems the race no longer has a queen stage. Organizers claimed a double ascent of the Mortirolo would make the stage too long. I wonder how many KMs we're talking
It would be like 245-250km if you take away Cevo and the stage is start-Presolana-Salven-Aprica-Mortirolo-Aprica-Mortirolo-finish
 
Re: Re:

luckyboy said:
Amazinmets87 said:
Seems the race no longer has a queen stage. Organizers claimed a double ascent of the Mortirolo would make the stage too long. I wonder how many KMs we're talking
It would be like 245-250km if you take away Cevo and the stage is start-Presolana-Salven-Aprica-Mortirolo-Aprica-Mortirolo-finish
Understandable

But hey, its still Mortirolo. Gavia from that side is just a monster. I reckon they wont really go over 2000 metres then in this Giro? *** the weather....
 
Re: Re:

luckyboy said:
Amazinmets87 said:
Seems the race no longer has a queen stage. Organizers claimed a double ascent of the Mortirolo would make the stage too long. I wonder how many KMs we're talking
It would be like 245-250km if you take away Cevo and the stage is start-Presolana-Salven-Aprica-Mortirolo-Aprica-Mortirolo-finish
Trivigno is the obvious option. It would still be short, but nah. Hell you can exclude all the early fluff and go over Foscagno and Livigno and it would still be 235km and doable.

This solution is basically showing that either the logistics must be impossible or Vegni doesn't give a ***.
 
Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
Seems the race no longer has a queen stage. Organizers claimed a double ascent of the Mortirolo would make the stage too long. I wonder how many KMs we're talking
I think is only Vegni BS to justify the stage that we'll see, some days ago on the Italian forum they posted profiles with Mortirolo two times from two different sides (Tovo before Mazzo) and was less than 200 kms after Monte Padrio, circa 200 kms after Aprica and circa 170 kms without Aprica. They even posted a route with all three side in succession (Tovo, Monno, Mazzo) that was less than 250 kms with Aprica so cutting Aprica could be circa 220 kms.

Anyway if Vegni thought that two Mortirolo would have been too hard he could at least put Vivione at the beginning to add climbing without harden too much the finale.
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
luckyboy said:
Amazinmets87 said:
Seems the race no longer has a queen stage. Organizers claimed a double ascent of the Mortirolo would make the stage too long. I wonder how many KMs we're talking
It would be like 245-250km if you take away Cevo and the stage is start-Presolana-Salven-Aprica-Mortirolo-Aprica-Mortirolo-finish
Trivigno is the obvious option. It would still be short, but nah. Hell you can exclude all the early fluff and go over Foscagno and Livigno and it would still be 235km and doable.

This solution is basically showing that either the logistics must be impossible or Vegni doesn't give a ****.
I mean, we don't know all of the agreements that vegni has with local towns etc, or even the state of the road that goes up to Trivigno. It's not overly high but I imagine there could still be some snow in the vicinity, and it is pretty much out of use really so wouldn't be clean. It would be better for racing purposes sure but there are probably reasons why they've avoided it. Not to mention the fact I feel Vegni would rather announce the entry of a new climb in a better way.
 
On Vuelta Aprica "climb" wouldn't even be marked on the profile or map ;) It's false flat. Cevo could be difficult if ridden especially hard but it's way to early and it's a bit too fast which makes it "drafting" climb. No one half decent will be dropped there. Mortirolo is our only hope ;) Paradoxically hell might break loose there because favorites will still be relatively fresh on the bottom of the climb.
 
Re:

Arked said:
On Vuelta Aprica "climb" wouldn't even be marked on the profile or map ;) It's false flat. Cevo could be difficult if ridden especially hard but it's way to early and it's a bit too fast which makes it "drafting" climb. No one half decent will be dropped there. Mortirolo is our only hope ;) Paradoxically hell might break loose there because favorites will still be relatively fresh on the bottom of the climb.
Yea, I had the same line of thinking. Unless a rider is ridiculously strong or sacrificing themselves for a teammate they're not going for broke on Gavia.

Although it would have been nice to see a MTF in lieu of Gavia!
 
The more I think about it, the more I think this Giro actually lacks easy mountain stages. And I'm not talking the San Martino di Castrozza crap. I'm meaning stages like the one to Andalo in 2016. Stages aren't especially hard and where the riders are just absolutely flying in. I'm not sure if more and more war of attrition is great tbh.
 
With Moviestar back in the thick of the GC battle, I don't think that Gavia out will harm the race too much. Still plenty of climbing on stage 16 before Mortirolo (even if it is not particularly steep climbing, it will continue to add to rider fatigue), and Carapaz could gain over a minute on this stage imo, or Landa might even gain a little more than that if he attacks. Either or both of them could gain further time on stage 19, and then there is still the unpredictability of the monster stage 20. The key to the race now might be Carapaz not losing time on stage 15 (which is possible given his energy expenditure stages 13/14).
 
Re:

luckyboy said:
Yesterday's finish was over 2000m and Zakarin won the Cima Coppi now lol. Passo Manghen on stage 20 is just over 2000m as well
I read, that they make Manghen the new Cima Coppi. That would be stupid beyond believe. I hope they won't award it like in 1988, 1989, 1995 and 2001.

Maybe this new route was the only option. The real world doesn't work like a GPS Tracker.
 
Apparently the road of Trivigno is in a very poor state and they cannot use it without having to work on it in advance. Monte Padrio is going to be raced in the Baby Giro so I assume they are working on it, which means it is also not passable right now. Plan B sucks of course, but that's what we get and it's not like the stage as a whole becomes bad because of it.

Cima Coppi cannot be awarded retroactively (I think it's in the rules), so either they cancel it or they select the next high pass. They chose the latter option.
 
Re:

Eshnar said:
Apparently the road of Trivigno is in a very poor state and they cannot use it without having to work on it in advance. Monte Padrio is going to be raced in the Baby Giro so I assume they are working on it, which means it is also not passable right now. Plan B sucks of course, but that's what we get and it's not like the stage as a whole becomes bad because of it.

Cima Coppi cannot be awarded retroactively (I think it's in the rules), so either they cancel it or they select the next high pass. They chose the latter option.
What about Vivione? Too dangerous descent?
 
Re:

If both Trivigno and Padrio weren't an option I can't even really blame them. They were simply stuck in a s*itty position.

gregrowlerson said:
With Moviestar back in the thick of the GC battle, I don't think that Gavia out will harm the race too much. Still plenty of climbing on stage 16 before Mortirolo (even if it is not particularly steep climbing, it will continue to add to rider fatigue), and Carapaz could gain over a minute on this stage imo, or Landa might even gain a little more than that if he attacks. Either or both of them could gain further time on stage 19, and then there is still the unpredictability of the monster stage 20. The key to the race now might be Carapaz not losing time on stage 15 (which is possible given his energy expenditure stages 13/14).
Yeah that's what I thought as well and what keeps me at least a little happy. With the racing situation like a few days ago, when everyone wanted to gain minutes, the Gavia might have been pure madness. Now the only riders who might have considered attacking there would have been someone like Yates and Lopez and with how strong Movistar is, they wouldn't have had a shot. Nibali might have tried as well but I think he is still confident enough to just go for it on the Mortirolo. I mean after all even now this is a stage where gaps will be meassured in minutes.
It's not gonna harm the race that much and tbh the stage still looks good, it's just this absolute monster of a profile we now won't get to witness and that is simply making me sad.
 
What I'm annoyed is that they don't publish the plan B's well in advance for stages where route alteration is not that unlikely. Even when it starts to seem quite likely that the stage won't happen as planned, they just give vague answers for questions. Is there any reason for it besides that they actually were just making the plan B?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY