• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Le Samyn, Tue 5th March, 198.4km (1.1)

Le Samyn, the opener of the road season in Wallonie.

Official start at 12.15 CET (finish around 17.00 CET) and live on Sporza and Eurosport from 15.00 CET.

Usually a great race. Wind (4-5 bft) and rain highly likely.

ProfielLeSamyn.jpg

2018 top-10:

1 TERPSTRA Niki (Quick-Step Floors) 4:47:48
2 GILBERT Philippe (Quick-Step Floors) 0:24
3 GAUDIN Damien (Direct Energie) 0:46
4 PETIT Adrien (Direct Energie) 1:18
5 BAGDONAS Gediminas (AG2R La Mondiale)
6 KIRSCH Alex (WB Aqua Protect Veranclassic) 1:21
7 JARRIER Benoît (Team Fortuneo - Samsic) 1:59
8 DENZ Nico (AG2R La Mondiale)
9 BACKAERT Frederik (Wanty - Groupe Gobert)
10 PICHOT Alexandre (Direct Energie) 2:02

Previous winners:

2017 Guillaume Van Keirsbulck
2016 Niki Terpstra
2015 Kris Boeckmans
2014 Maxime Vantomme
2013 Alexey Tsatevich
2012 Arnaud Démare
2011 Dominic Klemme
2010 Jens Keukeleire
2009 Wouter Weylandt

Startlist

Link to the route and roadbook

Apr 8, 2018
Visit site
This is Senechal's to win with Quick Step making him their leader, it's contract year and he has way too many top 10s already with no wins

Re: Re:

Flamin said:
tobydawq said:
Asgreen was better than Sénéchal in Kuurne and I think he could be their guy for tomorrow.

Maybe Sénéchal was just a bit further back on Kwaremont, like Jungels. We'll see tomorrow if Asgreen is/was better, but apart from those two there's also Cavagna.

Asgreen was also much, much better than Jungels in that race. Pure tactics that he didn't win ;)

No of course, that's true. Though, Asgreen did actually close the gap to the Lampaert-Naesen-Stannard-Stybar group when it was going hard on the Kwaremont.

If Lars Boom still wants to play his part in spring classics, here's his ticket to get back into a proper flow.

Wonder how guys like Claeys, Capiot, Backaert, Vliegen, Gerts, Planckaert will perform here. I'd also like an interesting result by De Bock or Six, but that'll be hard.

I believe Direct Energy have the best team with Tersptra, Petit and Gaudin. All of them winning candidates. Direct Energy accualty have a pretty solid cobblestone team, of course not as good quckstep, but when on a good day Petit and Gaudin can be in the good end of Roubaix as well.

Re:

Frankschleck said:
I believe Direct Energy have the best team with Tersptra, Petit and Gaudin. All of them winning candidates. Direct Energy accualty have a pretty solid cobblestone team, of course not as good quckstep, but when on a good day Petit and Gaudin can be in the good end of Roubaix as well.
Petit usually prefers good weather though, and the new (cobbled) climb doesn't really play into their hands as well, I'd think.

But sure, both are very strong guys, and the field is not particularly deep, so there may still be a chance.

Re: Re:

Flamin said:
search said:
Flamin said:
Keukeleire is a non-starter apparently.
yeah, couldn't find anything about it, but he was a late replacement (for Benoot) in Kuurne, so I'd guess that's the reason why he gets a day off

That's probably it.

Btw, looks like it will be a dry edition after all.

I'd expect there to still be some wet and muddy patches at least. It just rained here but I'm 100 km away so that's no guarantee.

Re:

Wvv said:
If Lars Boom still wants to play his part in spring classics, here's his ticket to get back into a proper flow.

Wonder how guys like Claeys, Capiot, Backaert, Vliegen, Gerts, Planckaert will perform here. I'd also like an interesting result by De Bock or Six, but that'll be hard.
Lars Boom, haha. Good one :D I don't see him amount to anything in the top classics. But yeah, for this race he might be good enough now.

Re:

Wvv said:

postmanhat said:
This has become one of my favourite races of the year. Planckaert looked lively at omloop so I'm hoping he can go well. The relative weakness of the DQS team this year will hopefully make it even more aggresively raced

I'm assuming you mean Baptiste, but could be fun if either Edward or Emiel - or both - actually does better.
The Battle of the Brothers is on!

TRENDING THREADS