• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Le Samyn, Tue 5th March, 198.4km (1.1)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 8, 2018
Visit site
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
ecw445 said:
I think so, was stronger on the cobbles than Terpstra today

Come on, a guy wins Le Samyn, and he is at Sagan level??

As much as someone like Remco gets hyped up on this board, I don't think it's unrealistic at all. Rode top 15 in it at a very early age, he even won the juniors edition, he clearly has huge potential and it's starting to show. Most cyclist peak in late 20s, early 30s.

ecw445 said:
tobydawq said:
ecw445 said:
I think so, was stronger on the cobbles than Terpstra today

Come on, a guy wins Le Samyn, and he is at Sagan level??

As much as someone like Remco gets hyped up on this board, I don't think it's unrealistic at all. Rode top 15 in it at a very early age, he even won the juniors edition, he clearly has huge potential and it's starting to show. Most cyclist peak in late 20s, early 30s.

I'm not discounting it happening at all but there are very few riders of whom it rightfully has been said that they "should" win Roubaix. He certainly "could" do it but you wouldn't really think his career had been a waste if he didn't win it.

tobydawq said:
BalearicBeats said:
Senechal with only his first win? Roompot looked good as a team here. Planckaert did not race his smartest race :(

Yeah, in fact, neither of the three Deceuninck riders in the front group had ever won a race before.

Editiepajot_Gooik_verslag_IWT_Oetingen_foto_Marcel_Brisaert.jpg

B9716999354Z.1_20180921125758_000%2BGSBC2VRG5.2-0.jpg

Flamin said:
SafeBet said:
Senechal is such a great rider, I'm glad he won.
Boom with questionable tactics in the end.

That was one of the dumbest things I saw in a while. It was always up to Boom to close the gap. Cmon, it was Tim Declercq who 'attacked'. I could jump onto his wheel :eek:

He knew he had a couple of teammates right behind him. The dumb thing was to open the sprint more than 200 metres out. He even had to sit down with 100 metres to go.

tobydawq said:
Flamin said:
SafeBet said:

That was one of the dumbest things I saw in a while. It was always up to Boom to close the gap. Cmon, it was Tim Declercq who 'attacked'. I could jump onto his wheel :eek:

He knew he had a couple of teammates right behind him. The dumb thing was to open the sprint more than 200 metres out. He even had to sit down with 100 metres to go.

I think it was pure luck that a team mate eventually closed that gap, not a calculated move. How far was it from the finish? 1k?

If he did somehow, in the two seconds he had to make a decision to go after Declercq or not, have the awareness to know exactly where his team mates were and that they had enough energy in the tank to close down a rider who previously dropped them, that's genious.

Flamin said:
tobydawq said:
Flamin said:
SafeBet said:

I think it was pure luck that a team mate eventually closed that gap, not a calculated move. How far was it from the finish? 1k?

If he did somehow, in the two seconds he had to make a decision to go after Declercq or not, have the awareness to know exactly where his team mates were and that they had enough energy in the tank to close down a rider who previously dropped them, that's genious.

Well, okay, he must have figured that he wouldn't win if he closed all the gaps. But you're right, it was lucky that Declercq's move was as lame as it was, otherwise Reinders wouldn't have been able to close it.

On the other hand, Boom was probably not letting either Terpstra or Sénéchal get away, but you can't mark them all.

So a bit of wisdom, a bit of luck.

Re:

Squire said:
Senechal has shown more at 25 than Naesen had at the same age. He could still improve and become top tier, and he looked great today. Easily the strongest in the race (especially after Terpstra burned some unnecessary energy early on). But saying he 'should' win Paris-Roubaix might be stretching it.

Well, Naesen was still working a fulltime job when he was 23/24...

tobydawq said:
Flamin said:
tobydawq said:
Flamin said:
SafeBet said:

Well, okay, he must have figured that he wouldn't win if he closed all the gaps. But you're right, it was lucky that Declercq's move was as lame as it was, otherwise Reinders wouldn't have been able to close it.

On the other hand, Boom was probably not letting either Terpstra or Sénéchal get away, but you can't mark them all.

So a bit of wisdom, a bit of luck.

You most definitely can and should mark an attack with only 1k to go when you are the designated guy to do it...

I figure he just liked Declercq to win over Sénéchal.

TRENDING THREADS