• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Milano-Torino: 179 km

transparent-pixel.png
MI-TO_2019_alt_web-1024x651-e1570110619413.jpg

Startlist

Reactions: Rollthedice
The World Champs was fought out between three flat domestiques. Sport can be be unpredictable at the best of times...........okay one can TT one can sprint and the one that won looks like having a decent future in the sport...............
Trentin went into the race as the designated leader of the Italian team. I doubt he’s gone to a single classic in the last 5 years not as a protected rider. Even when he was surrounded with race winners with Quickstep.

And so the days of the World Champ being a flat domestique in a climbing classic begin

Not to mention a sick flat domestique. Idiot went and got himself sick from all the celebration...
In fact, I wouldn't have been too surprised if he'd pulled out, but I guess obligations are slightly bigger if you're the World Champion. If Trek had already told everyone "We'll bring the World Champion!" it might be hard to just to "Naah… "
And of course, there's also his own pride.

Fighting for country rankings for Olympics?
Maybe. I just had a quick look at it, but it actually looks like a pretty tight fight for the Top 6 (allowing 5 starters to go to the Olympics) indeed.

If you take out the "yet to be defended" points from Uran, Prades and so on (which will get lost anyway), these are (if I didn't make any mistakes) the current standings

5 COL 9679,21
6 SLO 9266,40
7 ESP 9050,50
8 GER 9013,66

Colombia should be more or less safe, but Spain needs a good weekend from Valverde and the Izagirre brothers, otherwise even Germany may come back in play with all those sprint stages in Guangxi and Politt as a likely strong contender for this new Paris Tours

Reactions: Jungle Cycle

TRENDING THREADS