• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de France, stage 1: Bruxelles > Brussel, 194,5 km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

bambino said:
What happened to Buchmann? I thought he was supposed to be Bora's GC rider? He is +4m down today... Caught up in late crash which will be s.t. later?

Yes, he crashed and his time loss is no more.

It was not very good reflexes he displayed there. Let's just say that not all his teammates would have crashed in a similar situation.

Re:

tobydawq said:
The polkadot jersey is redesigned this year with a more orderly pattern to the dots.

It looks absolutely hideous.

I think the pattern was just as orderly in the past. But the dots were just a lot larger previously, so the pattern was never that apparent and large parts of the dots were covered by the sponsors and race number etc. With smaller dots, you can still clearly see the lines and pattern.

I think the fact that we are living in a time where people are no longer watching on small black and white TV screens, but 50" full HD or 4K screens, has something to do with that.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
bambino said:
AQETUYIOI said:

Alright. I guess the TBM guy crashing is Dennis or Mohoric looking at the stage results, I bet Dennis. Not good for TBM TTT tomorrow.

It was Mohoric.

Yeah just saw that in their Twitter. Not good regardless for Nibs (should he have any GC hopes in him).

Thomas in right hand side looks mainly ackwardly going down rather than really crashing.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
tobydawq said:
The polkadot jersey is redesigned this year with a more orderly pattern to the dots.

I think the pattern was just as orderly in the past. But the dots were just a lot larger previously, so the pattern was never that apparent and large parts of the dots were covered by the sponsors and race number etc. With smaller dots, you can still clearly see the lines and pattern.

I think the fact that we are living in a time where people are no longer watching on small black and white TV screens, but 50" full HD or 4K screens, has something to do with that.

This was how it looked last year:

https://www.google.com/search?q=polka+dot+jersey+tour+de+france&rlz=1C1GCEA_enDK790DK790&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiy27Gi96DjAhWSJFAKHRsSADIQ_AUIECgB&biw=1366&bih=657#imgrc=mIhMcYPcQ20VSM:

There is a pattern, you're right, but it was diagonal (if it makes sense to say that) and when the sponsor patch covered large part of the jersey the placement of the dots would look much more coincidental.

Now it's just all square and even a bit orange if I'm not mistaken, looking on my tiny 17" laptop.

Meanwhile at the tour:

D-zkGnjWkAYWRVY.jpg

Also Lance has his own thing going on watching the Tour and analyzing:

D-ziBvfWsAE-IZG.jpg

tobydawq said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
tobydawq said:

This was how it looked last year:

https://www.google.com/search?q=polka+dot+jersey+tour+de+france&rlz=1C1GCEA_enDK790DK790&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiy27Gi96DjAhWSJFAKHRsSADIQ_AUIECgB&biw=1366&bih=657#imgrc=mIhMcYPcQ20VSM:

There is a pattern, you're right, but it was diagonal (if it makes sense to say that) and when the sponsor patch covered large part of the jersey the placement of the dots would look much more coincidental.

Now it's just all square and even a bit orange if I'm not mistaken, looking on my tiny 17" laptop.

That's basically what i said. The larger the dots, the less apparent the pattern, combined with sponsors etc covering parts, and it becomes less clear. With smaller dots, you get multiple lines running in between these spots, making the pattern very clear. In the past the dots were even larger.

It's the same pattern, just at a 45° angle, making it look more square and predictable, as you said. I don't really mind the dots getting smaller per se, but i do agree they should have kept the angle.

Re: 2019 Tour de France, stage 1: Bruxelles > Brussel, 194,5

Im totally loss. I missed the hole June and now I almost missed the hole start all together because I thought they would start tomorrow. I´ve being working too much I guess. TDF just in time to take my mind of everything.

Gigs_98 said:
Freakin Mike Teunisse? Where on earth was that coming from?
Thought the same at first. But ofcourse he has been largely off the radar, still winning races like Dunkerque and ZLM which are simply small stuff. But was already strong in hilly sprints or sprint after tougher stages there. Plus leading out Groenewegen must have helped in pure speed. He is having a really good season.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gigs_98 said:
Freakin Mike Teunisse? Where on earth was that coming from?
Thought the same at first. But ofcourse he has been largely off the radar, still winning races like Dunkerque and ZLM which are simply small stuff. But was already strong in hilly sprints or sprint after tougher stages there. Plus leading out Groenewegen must have helped in pure speed. He is having a really good season.

Undoubtedly up hill finish helped, he has been super strong leading out Groenewgen, finished third on a stage behind Ewan and Groenewgen leading him out recently

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Just rewatching the sprint.

Whoever that Cofidis guy is, he ruined the sprint for several others, by being all over the road.

Right? It was a mess and it looked like Groenewegen was the one with the slowest reaction and paid the price for it. Maybe he was looking down at the wrong moment... he appears to have just rode into the cyclist in front of him who had tapped the brake.

Danskebjerge said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Fuglsangs crash 15 seconds in:

https://youtu.be/41BO7_pr_R0

Mohoric takes a dive, attempts to hit Fuglsang, sees that Fuglsang tries to avoid him and desperately throws the bike at him. Mission accomplished.

Lol. It's Caruso by the way. Maybe he just thought he could move the bike out of harm's way. It wasn't a bright thing to think but he didn't have much time to do the thinking.

tobydawq said:
Danskebjerge said:
Broccolidwarf said:

Mohoric takes a dive, attempts to hit Fuglsang, sees that Fuglsang tries to avoid him and desperately throws the bike at him. Mission accomplished.

Lol. It's Caruso by the way. Maybe he just thought he could move the bike out of harm's way. It wasn't a bright thing to think but he didn't have much time to do the thinking.

I thought so too, because I saw him injured hanging on to the Astana team afterwards - but somebody else here in this forum claimed it was Mohoric.

Danskebjerge said:
tobydawq said:
Danskebjerge said:
Broccolidwarf said:

I thought so too, because I saw him injured hanging on to the Astana team afterwards - but somebody else here in this forum claimed it was Mohoric.

Mohoric was in the finale crash, with Groenewegen.

RedheadDane said:
Danskebjerge said:
tobydawq said:
Danskebjerge said:
Broccolidwarf said:

OK. Those Arabs really had a thing going today.

Danskebjerge said:
Danskebjerge said:
tobydawq said:
Danskebjerge said:
Broccolidwarf said:

OK. Those Arabs really had a thing going today.[/quote]

x x x

- I can't f*cking work out this "over 5 replies" thing :mad:

Anyway - Arabs?

They are italian and slovenian - what are you on about :confused:

I would say that the finales of any stage race have to be made safer. Riders are taking a lot of risk especially to do something similar to Teunisson . Not only does it ruin the spectacle by reducing the no. of GC contenders but more importantly it puts the life of the riders at risk. A GC neutralization 10 k from the line is required. Also the number of riders of a team can be reduced to 5 by making them drop out of the bunch 20k from the line. What happened to Fuglsang in Stage 1 today was scary even though outside of 10k. It is not ok to have that sort of thing in the name of entertainment.

TRENDING THREADS