• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de l'Avenir /// 15th - 25th of August (2.Ncup)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How very annoying that they couldn't even livestream this 23k stage.

Classement général :
1 Tobias S. FOSS (Norvège)
2 Matteo JORGENSON (Etats-Unis) à 23"
3 Giovanni ALEOTTI (Italie) à 41"
4 Clément CHAMPOUSSIN (France) à 58"
5 Ilan VAN WILDER (Belgique) à 1'38"
6 Samuele BATTISTELLA (Italie) à 2'20"
7 Mauri VANSEVENANT (Belgique) à 2'35"
8 Georg ZIMMERMANN (Allemagne) à 3'30"
9 Urko BERRADE (Espagne) à 4'19"
10 Michel RIES (Luxembourg)

3 from the same team? I doubt the collaboration would have been that good (as several riders in the breakaway claimed).
Apart from that, that's not the attitude of a team player, even more if you are the leader.

However, I prefer to think, it's just an excerpt from the interview
He's been the best first year espoir all year. Last year, he was "best of the rest" behind Evenepoel. He's doing great and is ambitious. Let the kid be (rightfully) disappointed in the fact that a mechanical cost him the lead, and let's not start expecting this "political correct" BS from a 19 year old. I'm sure he was happy for Mauri, but disappointed because it could have been him instead.

What do we know about this 20 year old American in second place? Matteo Jorgenson? Other than that he is obviously the next Lance Armstrong?

Think he, like others in the Top 10 or thereabouts, definitely profits from the weak edition and all those crashes and inconsistent performances. That being said, he definitely isn't there by luck. Good talent, who had quite a good season only interrupted by that disc brake accident, so one couldn't be quite sure how he would fare here. First season in Europe as well. Maybe his development will be more long term, a thing us riders often struggle with.

This stage was tailor made for Evans really. Just one long effort without any technical oder tactical finesse. Would be more surprising if he can do the same over the next days. But this race is utterly unpredictable, so who knows.

Think he, like others in the Top 10 or thereabouts, definitely profits from the weak edition and all those crashes and inconsistent performances. That being said, he definitely isn't there by luck. Good talent, who had quite a good season only interrupted by that disc brake accident, so one couldn't be quite sure how he would fare here. First season in Europe as well. Maybe his development will be more long term, a thing us riders often struggle with.

This stage was tailor made for Evans really. Just one long effort without any technical oder tactical finesse. Would be more surprising if he can do the same over the next days. But this race is utterly unpredictable, so who knows.
I remember the pic of that disc break incident, that was some rotten.org level gore.
Regarding Evans, I wouldn't be so pessimistic about his chances as a pro, he still has lots of room to improve. Durning the last few years I got the impression that many of the Australian riders are already really professional at a young age and don't have a lot of room to improve when they turn pro, they are already a finished product (of course they will still get stronger, but I wouldn't expect a sudden jump to the next level). I feel the same about most of the Italians who have ridden for Colpack or Locatelli for more than just 1-2 years.

TRENDING THREADS