• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 UCI Road World Championships Men's Road Race : 284.5km

It's time for the main event bois and girls

jDhh933.png

m7Hr7PK.png

OgR10wz.jpg

Startlist

Start time: 8:40 AM

Estimated finish time: 15:30 - 15:50 PM

I'm assuming this is GMT

Reactions: Rollthedice
The weather should be pretty bad, so Belgium is probably willing to make this one really hard.
A Wellens solo would be nice, the guy's a gremlin, when he gets wet he turns into a monster.
I wouldn't underestimate the old fox Gilbert, he was in great shape at the Vuelta and hasn't talked that much about this race, I'd watch out for him. Overall I expect this one to be like an Amstel with bad weather, really nervous and you really have to be near the front to save energy.
Politt and Valgren could be the dark horses and you can never underestimate someone like Mohoric.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Does anyone know if the Harrogate fan zones are covered from the rain? And if the big screens will be working even if the rain is heavy? Came over from NYC today and not sure what to expect tomorrow.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
So what should we expect?

There is the " usual game" scenario - big teams with good sprinters who can survive some climbing trying to keep it together while those without making the race as hard as possible.

Then we can have a total classics style carnage, brutally hard race of attrition and constant attacks with only the few select fittest surviving.

And let's not forget an early escape option, there might be some chance if allowed a decent gap (if not considered dangerous)... it may even serve as a launchpad for a long range move of excellent time trialist (capitalizing on a situation behind him - peloton shattered, small groups, not enough domestiques to sustain a proper chase).

Will some teams try to send a TT guy upfront (e.g. Belgians with Remco) relatively early and then just follow attacks and get a free ride?

There are a lot of teams with viable contenders on that route.

I believe Belgium, Spain, France, Slovenia, Denmark & GB will all want to make the race hard tomorrow, early, because they don't want to ferry people like Sagan, Trentin, MvdP, Bennett, Kristoff, Matthews, Ackermann, etc. to the circuit with their teams largely intact.

I do not expect a large peloton to hit the circuit in Harrogate, but rather a group of 15-25, with a couple of groups chasing, for the captains who missed out.

It will be a very interesting game of national chicken however, to see who are the first to drop the hammer. Everyone will be expecting the belgians to make the first move, but someone else may beat them to it :)

The heavy rain conditions however, will make the race a crap shoot, because we will see a lot of crashes on small windy roads, and a lot of punctures, which will completely ruin the best laid plans.

Interesting hours ahead ;)

Last edited:
There are a lot of teams with viable contenders on that route.

I believe Belgium, Spain, France, Slovenia, Denmark & GB will all want to make the race hard tomorrow, early, because they don't want to ferry people like Sagan, Trentin, MvdP, Bennett, Kristoff, Matthews, Ackermann, etc. to the circuit with their teams largely intact.

I do not expect a large peloton to hit the circuit in Harrogate, but rather a group of 15-25, with a couple of groups chasing, for the captains who missed out.

It will be a very interesting game of national chicken however, to see who are the first to drop the hammer. Everyone will be expecting the belgians to make the first move, but someone else may beat them to it :)

The heavy rain conditions however, will make the race a crap shoot, because we will see a lot of crashes on small windy roads, and a lot of punctures, which will completely ruin the best laid plans.

Interesting hours ahead ;)

Funny enough in an interview today, Valverde actually said he expects a group of around 20 riders to hit the circuit (for the first of 7) and for the winner and podium to be decided among that group of riders. Of course even funnier is they asked him what the team strategy is, and he said we don't have one. Even if we did I'm certainly not telling anyone what it is, but we really haven't even talked about a strategy.

I’d be
Funny enough in an interview today, Valverde actually said he expects a group of around 20 riders to hit the circuit (for the first of 7) and for the winner and podium to be decided among that group of riders. Of course even funnier is they asked him what the team strategy is, and he said we don't have one. Even if we did I'm certainly not telling anyone what it is, but we really haven't even talked about a strategy.
surprised if a group of 20 formed with 100 to go, and were coordinated enough to stay clear and keep the pace up enough to not allow anyone behind to get back into the race.

TRENDING THREADS