• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-Stage Analysis

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So, the Tour is over, the Worlds are coming this week and I am publishing my Giro preview, just as it has always been every year…

It’s been a rough 16 months without the Giro, but the wait is finally (almost) over.

The 2020 Giro will not start in Hungary as originally planned (I even had my tickets for Budapest ready…) but in Sicily, where it was due to start in 2021. As a result, the two flat stages planned in Hungary have been substituted by two hilly stages in southern Italy, making this edition even harder than it was meant to be, and in my opinion one of the best in recent times.

We will start with a short ITT, then an uphill sprint, then a full mountain top finish… the race will start strong and will stay strong throughout the first two weeks, with lots of hilly stages and very few clear sprints (despite all the best sprinters being present), and then it will become outright crazy in the last week, with three mountain stages of 200+ km and 5000m altitude gain. Granted, being October we will have to pray for good weather, as two stages are at very high altitude, but on the bright side there will be no snowbanks to clear, and no risk of avalanches on the road. Overall, despite the three ITTs, it’s a Giro for climbers like always, but climbers that are not afraid to attack from far, as there are only two hard MTFs in the whole race, and all other chances for attacks are relatively far from the finish.

So, fingers crossed (for everything) and let’s get ready for the first (and hopefully only) Giro edition in October!

NOTE: All stages are due to finish at about 16:30 CEST

shSpHos.jpeg

dL2RNry.jpg
This should have a link index to each of the stages. Just a suggestion to the moderators. It takes a while to scan down.

Reactions: Eshnar
Well I hope so, yes :oops:
They are on imgur.com, since the ones on the official website suck. Maybe you have that blocked?
Imgur was blocked on Turkey for some time. Although I can access imgur for the last year or so, it looks like there are still problems with imgur photos depending on the wifi connection. ( For example a couple of years ago I was able ato see the imgur photos at my cousin's home but not in my home )

• Sad
Reactions: Eshnar
Imgur was blocked on Turkey for some time. Although I can access imgur for the last year or so, it looks like there are still problems with imgur photos depending on the wifi connection. ( For example a couple of years ago I was able ato see the imgur photos at my cousin's home but not in my home )
Well that sucks. Unfortunately the ones on the official profile are so small that they are unreadable. I had my own copies from a different source (still official, but not the website), so I decided to upload those.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Man I think I'm in love with this route. It's just so f#cking hard, it has only three clear cut sprint stages and I really don't see more than 6 stages that could end in a sprint of more than 30 riders, it has just above 60 ITT kilometres which is a lot nowadays, it somehow manages to have one of the hardest 1st weeks of a gt I've ever seen with three clear cut chances for climbers to gain a lot of time, and still be backloaded. It has so many medium mountain stages, it has the classic giro muritos, mythical passes, IT'S JUST SO F#CKING GOOD.

I really hope Nibali can pull it together one last time, but honestly, if it turns out he is sh*t in the beginning but finds his shape later I can't imagine a better route for that. Can you imagine Nibali who has to gain time on Thomas/Yates/Fuglsang, going berserk on the Stelvio and the Izoard. My god this could turn into a show and a half.

So yeah, it's probably all gonna get cancelled due to snow.

So now my stream of rambling as I'm reading the entire thread.

• First 3 stages are amazing. The ITT is funny, but will probably have smaller gaps than expected for a 15km ITT. Agrigento is good, and I love that side of Etna for a first MTF.
  • Montescuro is a lot harder than I first expected from the stage profile, although I still don't expect really crazy gaps
  • I love all the attacker finales rather than just entire breakaway stages. They basically force GC guys to pay attention as well.
  • The profile of stage 7 is f'd up, as it misses the 1 after it gets past 100km.
  • I love stage 8. I thought it was a reduced bunch sprint and attacks woudl fail, but naturally the Giro profile is hiding a nice little Muro at about 10km to go. Almost perfect distance
  • Love Roccaraso. I think the profile has them finish a bit higher than last year? It's quite relevant as it's steepest right at the very end
  • Love Tortoreto. Amazing stage. I love the Giro for having 24% gradients on uncategorized climbs. Force those fools to read the Eshnar thread instead of the official road book.
  • Cesenatico being far from the final hill is perhaps one of the minor ultra nitpicky things in the entire three weeks
  • Piancavallo as hardest MTF has the perfect position in the race
  • San Daniele del Friuli, I'd been thinking for a year that final km had a slight uphill drag, aaaaaaand it's 20%.
  • Madonna di Campligio the only stage that is really badly placed. Would've like Daone downhill finish more but then again I wouldn't get to reach my quota of complaining if it did
  • Stelvio stage is absolutely gorgeous.
  • Asti - there can be only one reason for that stage to be 251km long. It has to be for the memes. I have cried about short mountain stages on stage 19s of the Tour for years, and finally my prayers have been answered.
  • Sestriere. Love it to bits.
  • Final ITT could be a bit longer I guess, but whatever. 25-30km would've probably been nicer.

Only thing that exceeds the route is the thread.

Man I think I'm in love with this route. It's just so f#cking hard, it has only three clear cut sprint stages and I really don't see more than 6 stages that could end in a sprint of more than 30 riders, it has just above 60 ITT kilometres which is a lot nowadays, it somehow manages to have one of the hardest 1st weeks of a gt I've ever seen with three clear cut chances for climbers to gain a lot of time, and still be backloaded. It has so many medium mountain stages, it has the classic giro muritos, mythical passes, IT'S JUST SO F#CKING GOOD.

I really hope Nibali can pull it together one last time, but honestly, if it turns out he is sh*t in the beginning but finds his shape later I can't imagine a better route for that. Can you imagine Nibali who has to gain time on Thomas/Yates/Fuglsang, going berserk on the Stelvio and the Izoard. My god this could turn into a show and a half.

So yeah, it's probably all gonna get cancelled due to snow.
Guys.

We have a problem.

TRENDING THREADS