• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-Stage Analysis

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just looking at the stages again now; loving stage 5 more and more. In fact the entire first week is near perfect imo, although maybe stage 9 could be a little tougher (in terms of steepness to guarantee time gaps).

Stage 10 is great, but then a little GC lull perhaps through 11-13, especially with the ITT after that. Great that the tough MTF comes after it of course.

Stage 16 is pretty good, and stage 17 intrigues me greatly. Studying those climbs a little closer, the first half of this stage is terribly tough! Checking back to the profile of stage 19 from 2018, and I think that when you combine Valbona and Bondone, if raced hard they could prove almost as decisive as Finestre. The profile after these climbs is also slightly similar to the Froome stage, with plenty of climbing, though not quite as hard. I just wonder if someone will be able to try going crazy long range on this.

Of course the profile of stage 18 says no, but well, stage 20 in 2018 was very tough too (3 big climbs), so if someone is in a Froome type of time deficit and has decent legs, then stage 17 could be a classic. If there is the chance of stage 18 or 20 being altered or cancelled at that point in time, it will increase the chances of aggression on this stage ten-fold too, obviously. As it is, I wonder if this final week would be better with an easier stage on stage 18 (with the current stage 18 put one day before stage 20)?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Glad to see legendary Stelvio from Prato after 15 years and just 37 km from the finish! This is the father of all climbs with elevation gain of 1850 m (most of it on a steep, winding road with 8-9% grades) and altitude of over 2750 m ASL with majestic Alps around. Expect Finestre-like drama on most epic climb in GT history:

9d50717f9b454686139f1841f0696e50.jpg

pff great analysis once again! Really feeling the hype for this route. It just looks like a surprise is waiting around the corner of every stage almost. I am afraid of high mountain passes getting cancelled and neutering the racing in the end, but wow those first two weeks could all out war already.

Getting flashbacks to 2015 Astana ripping it every day.

Only climb that is > Mortirolo in cycling is Stelvio from Prato and thats despite I have never it live. Im so stoked about that one particular climb!!
Finestre. It actually is the best thing I have ever seen as far as routes and climbs are concerned.
You have great lenght giving an edge to the pure climbers. The gradient is perfect, really hard but not too hard to make a real difference. On top of that there is nine kilometres of gravel. Now imagine it being raced after 2 solid climbs.

Last edited:
True, butthen I might as well have to add Agnello and some other climbs as well. Im sticking to my guns, although Finestre is majestic as well!
I think many of these climbs all have potential to produce amazing stages but then when it comes down to it it's gonna come down to the racing situation more than the climb itself. Mortirolo is probably a bit more reliable cause it's steeper and shorter than most and usually closer to the finish than the others, but really a load of climbs could have that effect if placed correctly, and it's just that Mortirolo is used most often and almost always in the right spot. France and Italy both have loads of climbs that can be used like that, but somehow it's nearly always the same ones in the Giro, while the Tour they usually the monster climbs are wasted as leg warmers or MTFs.

In all, I think Finestre is the hardest climb in GTs, but it's always so late in the race it's prone to having a neutered GC situation and the lead in tends to be very easy.

I think many of these climbs all have potential to produce amazing stages but then when it comes down to it it's gonna come down to the racing situation more than the climb itself. Mortirolo is probably a bit more reliable cause it's steeper and shorter than most and usually closer to the finish than the others, but really a load of climbs could have that effect if placed correctly, and it's just that Mortirolo is used most often and almost always in the right spot. France and Italy both have loads of climbs that can be used like that, but somehow it's nearly always the same ones in the Giro, while the Tour they usually the monster climbs are wasted as leg warmers or MTFs.

In all, I think Finestre is the hardest climb in GTs, but it's always so late in the race it's prone to having a neutered GC situation and the lead in tends to be very easy.
In a vacuum, I actually think Stelvio from Prato is harder which is amplified by the general stages that they are included in where Stelvio stages in general are also harder than Finestre-ones. But its very close, slightly less steep, but longer and higher altitude.

Reactions: Red Rick
Could be. Mostly I think Stelvio has much more and better options after the descent.
I'd say Stelvio has more options but I don't think any Stelvio option is as good as Finestre-Sestriere.

Ha that's amazing I've never seen that clip before. But outside of Nibali who exactly is gonna go nuts on one of those mountain stages and hit it from the start. The lineup needs a Berti or a young Nairoman
I get where you are coming from but really of every rider who could possibly ride this giro I still don't think there would be anyone more likely to cause fireworks there than Nibali, so yeah, I'm not gonna complain about "only" him being there.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
I'd say Stelvio has more options but I don't think any Stelvio option is as good as Finestre-Sestriere.

I get where you are coming from but really of every rider who could possibly ride this giro I still don't think there would be anyone more likely to cause fireworks there than Nibali, so yeah, I'm not gonna complain about "only" him being there.
Sestriere so vanilla tbh. Don't have that much option beyond Sestriere, Jafferau was lightning in bottle. That is if they don't use that dirt road on the top of Sestriere I'm too lazy to find the name of.

Are there contingency plans for those high mountain passes? That said, usually the weather mid-October is quite stable, with clear days and nice colours all around (golden larch, blue skies, white mountain peaks). Of course, when there is precipitation, it will be snow, but in May that's usually also the case at >2500 m a.s.l.

It would be like becoming a Mormon, and complaining that you're "only" dating Scarlett Johansson.

Sestriere so vanilla tbh. Don't have that much option beyond Sestriere, Jafferau was lightning in bottle. That is if they don't use that dirt road on the top of Sestriere I'm too lazy to find the name of.
Descent further down the valley instead of climbing Sestriere and have a finish in Pinerolo after the Colle di Pramartino with that short cobbled road in Pinerolo that they usually use right before the finish.
That would be an interesting option.

Reactions: Forever The Best

TRENDING THREADS