• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2020 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-Stage Analysis

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
25km of false flat downhill tho.
One could also use the climb to Pracatinat halfway down said descent. 5km at around 10% and a large parking lot. It's pretty much the first steep part of the 3rd side of finestre.
The other way to solve it would be haveling a legit climb before Finestre, Moncenisio is ight there and never gets used in a Finestre stage.

One could also use the climb to Pracatinat halfway down said descent. 5km at around 10% and a large parking lot. It's pretty much the first steep part of the 3rd side of finestre.
The other way to solve it would be haveling a legit climb before Finestre, Moncenisio is ight there and never gets used in a Finestre stage.
Nah fam I've settled.

Just replace Jafferau with Sommeiler.

But I would simply kill for Strada dell'Assietta if it's not too murdery in terms of safety

• Love
Reactions: Forever The Best
Back to the Stelvio, you can actually do a lot with the Stelvio from the hardest side:
  • A finish at the Lago di Carcano like this year.
  • A finish in Livigno like in the 2005 Giro.
  • A MTF at Bormio 2000 right after the descent.
  • A finish in Santa Caterina after the first half of the Gavio from Bormio.
This climb until Santa Caterina:
GaviaN.gif

- One could also descent the Umbrail and have a MTF finish on the Ofenpass.

As you can see there#s actually a ton of stuff that you could do with one of the most iconic, if not the most iconic and stunning alpine passes.

This route is incredible. Much more inspiring than this years TDF route. I think we might get a surprise winner.

It really is, undoubtedly a GT of the year if they can perform it throughout. A friend of mine is driving in a team car down there Palermo to the start. He said third week is very big question mark in this edition, as weather can be really bad.

Nah fam I've settled.

Just replace Jafferau with Sommeiler.

But I would simply kill for Strada dell'Assietta if it's not too murdery in terms of safety
PCMDaily ( Pro Cycling Manager forum ) Management Game Stage 20 of Giro d'Italia 2015 had Strada dell'Assietta after Finestre with finish in Grand Puy ( the first climb is Sestriere from Villar Perosa, like 2005 Giro d'Italia stage 20 ). Read how the stage went out yourself: https://www.pcmdaily.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=41251

Yes, I'm also afraid of that. The course looks splendid on paper, with three time trials, the toughest version of Mount Etna, some punchy mountains in the middle part and two colossal mountain stages in the last four days. However bad weather or corona could be the bummer and lead to an anticlimax. Let's hope not.

Astana could be very strong, although it's not clear who of their three big names can actually win the Giro. Some days Vlasov looks stronger than Fuglsang, while López will lose a lot in the time trials and might turn into a super domestique in the mountains. Thomas seems the obvious favourite, because he can take a big lead in the time trials and he has a strong team. Nibali seems to be in good shape. Kruijswijk probably took the right decision to skip the Tour and confront his old demons in Italy.

****Thomas, Nibali
***Kruijswijk, Fuglsang, Vlasov
**S. Yates, Majka, López
*Kelderman, Zakarin, Meintjes, Hart

Last edited:
Not sure the Ineos team named is strong enough to train Thomas if people start putting in big attacks in the mountains

it 100% is not unless someone turns up with unexpectedly incredible climbing form. There was talk here of them fielding Thomas-Bernal-Sosa-Dunbar-Geoghegan Hart. Instead they’ve put together a truly awesome assembly of rouleurs. They’ll murder the flyweight climbers if there’s a crosswind. They’ll be metronomic through the mountains while plenty of domestiques are there. But Thomas will be lucky to have one guy still with him after the real attacks start.

Now that I’ve said that I half expect all these big lumps to show up climbing like WVA.

Bernal presumably has no form or interest. Dunbar is injured. What’s up with Sosa?

Last edited:
Yes, I'm also afraid of that. The course looks splendid on paper, with three time trials, the toughest version of Mount Etna, some punchy mountains in the middle part and two colossal mountain stages in the last four days. However bad weather or corona could be the bummer and lead to an anticlimax. Let's hope not.

Astana could be very strong, although it's not clear who of their three big names can actually win the Giro. Some days Vlasov looks stronger than Fuglsang, while López will lose a lot in the time trials and might turn into a super domestique in the mountains. Thomas seems the obvious favourite, because he can take a big lead in the time trials and he has a strong team. Nibali seems to be in good shape. Kruijswijk probably took the right decision to skip the Tour and confront his old demons in Italy.

****Thomas, Nibali
***Kruijswijk, Fuglsang, Vlasov
**S. Yates, Majka, López
*Kelderman, Zakarin, Meintjes, Hart

imo no way Vlasov and Fuglsang are *** and Yates is **

I just can't believe that still there are people believing in Fuglsang over Nibali. I get that Vincenzo is constantly underappreciated before Grand Tours and I can somehow understand if Thomas or Yates are considered to be bigger favourites, but Fuglsang? He's best result in GT is what, random bottom top 10 placing?

Obviously predictions are subjective and it's more of an opinion than a shot aimed at anyone. I'm just really surprised, that's all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krzysztof_O
Fuglsang is 35 yo and his only top10 finish at a GT was 7 years ago. How can he be a top favourite in a 3-week race?

Thomas and Yates are top favourites with Nibali and Kruijswijk also among contenders. Any winner besides these guys would be a big surprise to me.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS