• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: 2020 Giro rumors thread

I wonder, what Vegni means by "eastern european". There's political eastern Europe - countries that were part of the communist bloc or geographical east, which would exclude a lot of countries like Hungary, former Chechoslovakia or Poland. I thought Cracow was trying for a Giro a while ago? It would be quite easy i guess as TdP annually has those Gliczarow/Bukowina stages and some potential Zwierzyniec laps in Cracow itself.

I also wonder if there will be a little stint in Switzerland as it would be 100 years after the Giro ventured abroad for the first time. It was over Monte Ceneri between Lugano and Locarno, where Girardengo crashed ending his Giro campaign.

Kyllingen86 said:
I read a rumor that Etna could be used as an MTT in the near future. All the way up to 3155 m. With Sicily contracted for 2020 and 2021 is it even remotely possible for next year?

Sounds like a great idea to make 20 stages irrelevant for the GC, unless you let them start at the Rifugio Sapienza.

And yeah not unless we perform the blood sacrifice required to bring Angelo Zomegnan back.

I feel like there should be room for events like this, but more in the form of one day races. I like this idea of a Hammer Climb a lot more

Red Rick said:
Kyllingen86 said:
I read a rumor that Etna could be used as an MTT in the near future. All the way up to 3155 m. With Sicily contracted for 2020 and 2021 is it even remotely possible for next year?

Sounds like a great idea to make 20 stages irrelevant for the GC, unless you let them start at the Rifugio Sapienza.
The rational thinking me completely agrees. My inner zomegnan however really wants them to go all the way up starting from sea level. Just to witness the most ridiculous climb in gt history :D

Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
Nirvana said:
Vegni in the interview said only that will be an Eastern European capital, Budapest was an hint from Marca journalist even if being Marca one of RCS newspapers could mean they know more than what Vegni said.

Ljubljana in Slovenia?

I wouldn't complain. But Ljubljana isn't really "Eastern European" capital is it... (neither is Budapest if we are precise to the "parts of Europe" classification, but anyway...)

Red Rick said:
Kyllingen86 said:

And yeah not unless we perform the blood sacrifice required to bring Angelo Zomegnan back.

I feel like there should be room for events like this, but more in the form of one day races. I like this idea of a Hammer Climb a lot more
Maybe a one day mountain bike race.
There's no road going that high on Etna.

SafeBet said:
Red Rick said:
Kyllingen86 said:

Isn't building a road part of the rumour?

I'd like to read the source for that rumor. I've been on Etna a couple of years ago and nothing suggests they are ready to build a road to the top. It would be a nightmare both logistically and from a safety point of view. But it's Sicily so you never know.

tobydawq said:
SafeBet said:
Red Rick said:
Kyllingen86 said:

Isn't building a road part of the rumour?
as far as I understand, no, they only plan to resurface the currently existing dirt road to an observatory near the top, which is just below 3000m of altitude.

Ignoring the increase in rideable road length of Etna or not, I like the idea of a MTT, as it's a great climb, but the last couple of times that it has been used have produced fairly tame road stages as far as GC excitement goes. So I'm all for using it as a 15-20 km ITT. Balanced out with a 40-50 km mostly flat ITT in the same parcours.

Mayomaniac sent me an email with his thoughts on the Etna finish. Thought I'd share it here (he hasn't been able to access the forum for a couple months now)
---------
About the rumour of Sicily wanting RCS to go all the way up on Etna in a MTT, I don't know if you can do that.
You could go further up from Rifugio Sapienza until you reach the ski station. There's enough space up there and it's an unpaved road, 4.5km at 11% after Rifugio Sapienza.
That would be the profile of the climb: https://www.cronoescalada.com/index.php/puertos/view/14048

The route isn't that much worse than Finestre, tbh https://www.google.it/maps/@37.7171184,14.995527,2a,75y,156.93h,72.58t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sGuWoHv5f2OsUIxVEt1ahXA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DGuWoHv5f2OsUIxVEt1ahXA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D219.03856%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e4

It probably would have to be in the 3rd week of the Giro, but if Sicily is willing to pay you could have a great 3rd week with 3 stages in Sicily at the end.
1. the big Etna stage, then a final hilly/medium mountain stage before the finl parade stage.
Sicily has one of the crasiest muritos that you can find in Italy:
https://www.la-flamme-rouge.eu/maps/viewtrack/88417
https://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/italy/5713-regia-trazzera-prestanfuso.html

A real Etna tappone could look like this, you could mak it a bit easier be removing the first climb or one of tthe ascents to Rifugio Sapienza:
https://www.cronoescalada.com/index.php/tracks/viewTour/401513/220348
One could also descent after Rifugio Sapienza and use the final 11km of the other side of Etna that we saw last year, that would probably be an even better stage, people could attack on the descent or before the final climb:
https://www.cronoescalada.com/index.php/tracks/view/530307

The final stage woul be short and could look like this: [goog_2084275361]
https://www.cronoescalada.com/index.php/tracks/view/536120

Thanks for the help and the support, they gave me a new account. A big thank you to the mods.
Back to the topic, with the Alpine Skiing WC taking place in Cortina in 2021 we could see a big mountain stage around Cortina, wouldn't surprise me at all.
It's also gonna be 50 years since they used Fedaia for the first time...

Viktor-Orban-3-990x741.jpg

Grande Partenza 2020 in Budapest.

TRENDING THREADS