• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It would be nice if they went back to italy without a rest day, a stage in friuli, then central italy, Sicily durning the 2nd week, with harder mountain stages, and the western alpes in the 3rd week.
That would mean no dolomites, but i would be ok with that.

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
Not sure how to translate the Hungary's Magyar territory... subhead.
Considering there are significant Hungarian minorities in the neighbouring countries, and that the race will continue in Italy after the opening three stages, I wouldn't exclude visits across Hungarian borders as a possible explanation.

I really think that this just shows a lack of research by the author of the article.

The largest population of hungarian minorities lives in Roumania and Slovakia (east and north of the Hungarian border), so the Giro would have to make a big detour to go there.

In Austria, Croatia and Slovenia, the hungarian minorities are a lot smaller in numbers, they live near the border, and has no significant conflict with the majority population. The Giro might go through some hungarian towns/villages, but that wouldn't be noteworthy in the context of hungarian minorities imo.

Re: Re:

Narce_ said:
sir fly said:
Not sure how to translate the Hungary's Magyar territory... subhead.
Considering there are significant Hungarian minorities in the neighbouring countries, and that the race will continue in Italy after the opening three stages, I wouldn't exclude visits across Hungarian borders as a possible explanation.

I really think that this just shows a lack of research by the author of the article.

The largest population of hungarian minorities lives in Roumania and Slovakia (east and north of the Hungarian border), so the Giro would have to make a big detour to go there.

In Austria, Croatia and Slovenia, the hungarian minorities are a lot smaller in numbers, they live near the border, and has no significant conflict with the majority population. The Giro might go through some hungarian towns/villages, but that wouldn't be noteworthy in the context of hungarian minorities imo.
Well, three stages give room for bypass. Even more so having in mind they won't have to make a link towards Italy. The pleonastic subhead could contain the lingual reference, I'm still thinking.

The MTF on Monte Lussari that was a lot rumored is postponed to 2021 because after RCS road inspection they said that they need some roadwork, that are set for summer of 2020, to make the road larger.
https://messaggeroveneto.gelocal.it/udine/cronaca/2019/04/19/news/giro-d-italia-nel-2021-una-tappa-sul-lussari-1.30205793

The article doesn't say if they are also going to pave the road or ride on the sterrato. Not that will change much because will be inhuman also paved, according what they say on the italian forum last km average is close to 30%.

Re:

Nirvana said:
The MTF on Monte Lussari that was a lot rumored is postponed to 2021 because after RCS road inspection they said that they need some roadwork, that are set for summer of 2020, to make the road larger.
https://messaggeroveneto.gelocal.it/udine/cronaca/2019/04/19/news/giro-d-italia-nel-2021-una-tappa-sul-lussari-1.30205793

The article doesn't say if they are also going to pave the road or ride on the sterrato. Not that will change much because will be inhuman also paved, according what they say on the italian forum last km average is close to 30%.
That's not the real profile of the climb, here's the real one: https://www.la-flamme-rouge.eu/maps/viewtrack/268983
Still a goattrack with 1km at 21%.
I have my doubts, i just don't think that there is enough space for a mtf.
Still, it would be typical Cainero stuff, the guy is responsable for introducing the Zoncolan and all the bigger mountain stages in the Friuli region.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Nirvana said:

That's not the real profile of the climb, here's the real one: https://www.la-flamme-rouge.eu/maps/viewtrack/268983
Still a goattrack with 1km at 21%.
I have my doubts, i just don't think that there is enough space for a mtf.
Still, it would be typical Cainero stuff, the guy is responsable for introducing the Zoncolan and all the bigger mountain stages in the Friuli region.
What the hell is that even.

Re: 2020 Giro rumors thread

Maybe for mr. Cainero it was better to change Crostis for roughly 2/3 of Zoncolan from Priola to Rif. Al Cocul and then descend down to Sutrio on a much nicer and wider descent and then finish off with Valcada and Zoncolan from Ovaro. Unless that's what he thought for the double Zoncolan plan. I guess in 2011 it should be way more feasible than Crostis. Now i think the Priola side was one of many victims of the '18 Fall rains and winds so i don't think if it will ever be possible.

This Sauris idea of Mayomaniac is quite interesting. If it's the same Sauris as on the slopes of Sella Ciampigotto then you don't really need any bonkers goat tracks as there's already Passo Pura. Add in Monte Rest or maybe even a murito (roughly 3km ar 9,5%) to Feltrone and i guess it should be a perfectly feasible plan. Need to remember it, it may get useful in the future...

Re:

Nirvana said:

This is bordering ridiculous. They have more than enough good climbs in Italy, so there is no need to do "gimmicks" like this. RCS should rather concern themselves with good stages design, and making sure that stages come in a proper order. Sappada last year was good. Courmayeur this year is even better. There are a lot of possibilities in the Dolomites. San Pellegrino in Alpe hasn't been used for two decades. And you always have Mortirolo and Finestre.

railxmig said:
Maybe for mr. Cainero it was better to change Crostis for roughly 2/3 of Zoncolan from Priola to Rif. Al Cocul and then descend down to Sutrio on a much nicer and wider descent and then finish off with Valcada and Zoncolan from Ovaro. Unless that's what he thought for the double Zoncolan plan. I guess in 2011 it should be way more feasible than Crostis. Now i think the Priola side was one of many victims of the '18 Fall rains and winds so i don't think if it will ever be possible.

This Sauris idea of Mayomaniac is quite interesting. If it's the same Sauris as on the slopes of Sella Ciampigotto then you don't really need any bonkers goat tracks as there's already Passo Pura. Add in Monte Rest or maybe even a murito (roughly 3km ar 9,5%) to Feltrone and i guess it should be a perfectly feasible plan. Need to remember it, it may get useful in the future...
The idea for last year (as reported in local press) was Ovaro first then Priola as MTF.

Personally i would like too see the Zoncolan as a pass but with an easier finale to force moves from far, in the Giro usually the hard climb far from finish works pretty well when the finale is easier.

Nirvana said:
railxmig said:

The idea for last year (as reported in local press) was Ovaro first then Priola as MTF.

Personally i would like too see the Zoncolan as a pass but with an easier finale to force moves from far, in the Giro usually the hard climb far from finish works pretty well when the finale is easier.
The first couple of kms of such potential descent would be quite dangerous but starting from Al Cocul it should be perfectly plausible. There's Tolmezzo and Arta Terme nearby to work with and if you hoping for a Visentini-like drama then you may push it as far as Sappada with Valcada and potentialy also Passo Duron.

Max Rockatansky said:
Have there been any news about the 2020 route the past days? #roadtobudapest

All I know is that there is a good chance that the first stage will be similar to this year's, a short ITT with an uphill finish in Budapest with splendid views.

Didn't have time to post in this thread yet, so let's get to it.
First of all, it seems the first stage in Budapest might be similar to this year's, a prologue with an uphill finish.
After Hungary is still not clear if they are going to Sicily.
The alternative would be to go to Friuli, but if they do, then Sicily is definitely out of the whole route. Since they have a (preumably well-paid) deal for three stages and the Grande Partenza 2021, I don't think it's gonna happen. So let's assume Sicily is in. Three stages with an Etna MTF. After it, they will b-line towards the north. Maybe a stage to Sorrento before switching coast to the Adriatic.
Here they have multiple options. An ITT is rumoured involving Vasto and/or Ortona, and/or a MTF to Roccaraso.
In any case they will keep going north and likely have a copy of the Nove Colli in Cesenatico. From there, I think they are going east first.
There is a deal for at least 2 stages in Friuli. Lussari is out for now (surprise...), the candidates are a MTF on the Matajur (not all the way to the top though), a finish in Grado (maybe with some sterrato...?) and one in S.Daniele. In Veneto, one stage near Belluno is basically fixed, and there are also rumours of a MTF to Fedaia (providing also the money/motivation to fix the road in Sottoguda).
In Valtellina there is a strong rumour of a short ITT Sondrio - Teglio, which is probably gonna happen at the beginning of the third week. Then to the west Alps. Likely three mountain stages there. And we have at least four rumours: Fraiteve, San Domenico, Entracque (not sure I have any hope left for Fauniera...) and Verbania (this one might also not be a mountain stage, depends)

TRENDING THREADS