• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jsem94 said:
Are they going to go from Hungary to Sicily without a rest day? Sounds like a logistical nightmare.
Because it is.

Kyllingen86 said:
Even with the TDF (Tour de Forbidden Race) full blowing this is arguably the most interesting thread :)
What, there is a race going on? :confused:
Anyway, to address your questions:
- You don't have to assume anything about the Hungarian stages, the official profiles are out there. And yes, they are mostly flat. Sicily will have three stages, I assume the first one might be short and flat due to the transfer, the second one should be hilly and the third one should be the Etna MTF.
- Roccaraso is quite a strong rumour but it's not set in stone yet. In any case I don't expect anything big. It also depends on where they can start the stage. I expect the stages after Sicily will have to be all fairly long in order to reach the Adriatic, so I don't think it will be possible to cram too many climbs in.
- The stage to Verbania (or surroundings) depends on what comes before it. If it is an ITT it's definitely gonna be flat. If instead it's a flattish stage, then they can do something similar to 2015.
- Yeah I don't see how they could possibly get to Entracque with the current rumours. It seems basically fixed the penultimate stage to be the Sestriere one, and if they come from north-east, as everything seems to suggest, then the south-west Alps are simply out of any chance.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Stelvio Livigno i've been propagandising for a while

That was a nice little stage. ;)

giro-05-alt-14.jpg

@Eshnar

Sounds good with Sicily. With regards to Verbania, Mottarone is quite close. The last couple of years the Giro finished with three mountain stages. If that is anything to go by my fingers are crossed.

If Finestre, Fraiteve, Stelvio/Gavia and Fedaia are all in, the route of 2020 will include some high mountains above 2000 m. If they do a better version of this years "high mountain route of TDF," I wouldn't complain ;)

Giro 2017 and 2018 has disappointed a bit in that sense. Cima Coppi in 2018 was Finestre and 2019 was Passo Manghen (due to Gavia getting cancelled).

Re:

Red Rick said:
How are the ITTs gonna be if they happen?
no idea really.
Kyllingen86 said:
@Eshnar

Sounds good with Sicily. With regards to Verbania, Mottarone is quite close. The last couple of years the Giro finished with three mountain stages. If that is anything to go by my fingers are crossed.
A finish in Verbania can be made arbitrarily hard, plenty of climbs there. You could do Mottarone - Ologno - Segletta for example... but I don't think that they would charge it this much, with two MTFs coming.

More likely to get something mainly flat but then a finish with the climb into Bèe (on the way to Pian del Sole) from Motte and a descent into Verbania, like in the 2015 Giro Rosa, if they don't want to go mountainous, and with two mountain stages to come backing off of it, it would seem unlikely that we'd see frantic racing from Mottarone, since it doesn't exactly descent right to the line either, though I guess you could argue that if they descend into Baveno the flat to the line wouldn't make it too dissimilar to the Monte Grappa stage in the 2010 Giro.

@Eshnar

I just scrolled through cicloweb. Someone is questioning it is certain with three stages in Sicily. He/she instead suggest it might just be two. What is your take on that? The frightening thing is that the version with three stages in Sicily excludes Fedaia and Belluno. I almost threw up after that.

@Libertine

Sounds like there are plenty of options. If compared with Prato Nevoso (third last stage in 2018), I just hope for something similar (or perhaps a bit harder and fun). Anyway looking forward to more rumors and information :)

Re:

Kyllingen86 said:
@Eshnar

I just scrolled through cicloweb. Someone is questioning it is certain with three stages in Sicily. He/she instead suggest it might just be two. What is your take on that? The frightening thing is that the version with three stages in Sicily excludes Fedaia and Belluno. I almost threw up after that.
it's a hypothesis just like any other. In my draft I have three Sicilian stages and the Dolomitic stage is still there. In general, we have more rumoured stages than real ones... as it happens every year. At least a few of them have to be false... who knows which ones.

Re: Re:

Eshnar said:
Kyllingen86 said:
@Eshnar

it's a hypothesis just like any other. In my draft I have three Sicilian stages and the Dolomitic stage is still there. In general, we have more rumoured stages than real ones... as it happens every year. At least a few of them have to be false... who knows which ones.

For some reason I just thought it was pretty fixed with three Sicilian stages. Come to think of it in 2017 they only had two Sicilian stages after the initial start in Sardinia.

Local newspapers today are talking about an ITT from Conegliano to Valdobbiadene, similar to 2015 (but shorter, I assume around 40 km). That would of course rule out both ITTs on the Adriatic and in Valtellina. Since I haven't heard about those in quite some time, I'm gonna trust this new rumour for now. I think it's gonna be stage 12, but there's also the possibility that it's stage 13, in which case just shift all following stages by one day and delete stage 17.

1 Budapest - Budapest ITT
2 Budapest - Gyor
3 Szekesfehervar - Nagykanisza
4 Sicily
5 Sicily 2
6 ??? - Etna
7 Mileto - ???
8 ??? - Sorrento
9 ??? - Roccaraso/Aremogna
rest
10 Cesenatico - Cesenatico
11 ??? - Spresiano? Possagno? Castelfranco?
12 Conegliano - Valdobbiadene ITT
13 Rivolto - San Daniele del Friuli
14 Udine - Matajur
15 ??? - Fedaia?Nevegal?Others?
rest
16 ??? - Cancano?/Livigno?
17 ??? - ???
18 ??? - Verbania?
19 Verbania - San Domenico
20 ??? - Sestriere/Basset?/Fraiteve??
21 Milano - Milano ITT?

Re:

barmaher said:
Interesting, thanks.

Promising, but the devil is in the detail.

Would the ITT be a rolling test?
possibly. But no idea about ITTs really.

A very well-informed user in Cicloweb forum says that he's been told the final sequence will be
18. Somewhere in Valtellina - Somewhere in the Verbania province (San Domenico still very possible)
19. Verbania? - Bra (flattish)
20. Cuneo?? - Fraiteve (via Finestre)
21. Milan (still unclear if ITT or road stage)

Even though I'm surprised stage 19 is planned to be flat, I don't see why not to trust him. I was still missing a third week stage in my previous draft, so this fits.
I guess that stage 17 will be a big stage in Valtellina (Thinking about Cancano or Livigno, but it could still be the ITT...), while stage 16 will probably be a breakaway stage in Trentino.

1 Budapest - Budapest ITT
2 Budapest - Gyor
3 Szekesfehervar - Nagykanisza
4 Sicily
5 Sicily 2
6 ??? - Etna
7 Mileto - ???
8 ??? - Sorrento
9 ??? - Roccaraso/Aremogna
rest
10 Cesenatico - Cesenatico
11 ??? - Spresiano? Possagno? Castelfranco?
12 Conegliano - Valdobbiadene ITT
13 Rivolto - San Daniele del Friuli
14 Udine - Matajur
15 ??? - Fedaia?Nevegal?Others?
rest
16 ??? - ???
17 ??? - Cancano?/Livigno?
18 ??? - Verbania? San Domenico?
19 Verbania? - Bra
20 Cuneo? - Fraiteve?
21 Milano - Milano ITT?

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
I can't get enough of Finestre, so fine by me.
Wish the Tour would use it.

Instead we get the Giro using Tour climbs better than the Tour :eek:

Would love a stage from St. Jean en Maurienne to Sestrieres that includes the Mollard, Galiber, Montgenevre, Finestre, with a finish at Sestrieres. Would love for there to be some significant climbing before Finestre, instead of the peloton arriving relatively fresh. Let them tackle the hardest climb in pro cycling tired

houtdffan said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
I can't get enough of Finestre, so fine by me.
Wish the Tour would use it.

Instead we get the Giro using Tour climbs better than the Tour :eek:

Would love a stage from St. Jean en Maurienne to Sestrieres that includes the Mollard, Galiber, Montgenevre, Finestre, with a finish at Sestrieres. Would love for there to be some significant climbing before Finestre, instead of the peloton arriving relatively fresh. Let them tackle the hardest climb in pro cycling tired
They weren't exactly fresh last year. The battle for the breakaway was madness.

TRENDING THREADS