• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
According to this, stage 8 will finish in Brindisi, while stage 11 will start in Porto S.Elpidio.
And before someone starts speculating about the routes they drew on the map, let me remind you that they are never reliable, and in some cases straight up impossible.
Start and finish locations are however almost always correct.

1 Budapest - Budapest (ITT) [9 km]
2 Budapest - Gyor (flat)
3 Szekesfehervar - Nagykanisza (flat)
4 Palermo - Agrigento (flat/mixed)
5 Caltanissetta - Etna (MTF)
6 Catania - Villafranca Tirrena (very short - mixed) [San Rizzo in the finale)
7 Mileto - Camigliatello Silano (hilly) [possibly Montescuro near the finish]
8 Castrovillari - Brindisi (flat)
9 Giovinazzo - Vieste (hilly)
rest
10 S.Salvo - Tortoreto Lido (mixed) [multiple double digit walls]
11 Porto S.Elpidio - Rimini (flat)
12 Cesenatico - Cesenatico (hilly) [Nove Colli]
13 Cervia - Monselice (flat)
14 Conegliano - Valdobbiadene (ITT) [33 km]
15 Rivolto - Piancavallo (MTF)
rest
16 Udine - S.Daniele del Friuli (hilly) [4x Muro di Ragogna]
17 Bassano del Grappa - Madonna di Campiglio (MTF) [like 2015]
18 Pinzolo - Laghi di Cancano (MTF) [Campo Carlo Magno - Castrin - Stelvio - Torri di Fraele]
19 Morbegno - Asti (flat)
20 Alba - Monte Fraiteve (MTF) [Agnello - Izoard - Montgenevre - Fraiteve]
21 Cernusco sul Naviglio - Milano (ITT) [~20-25 km]

La-Stampa-19-Ottobre-2019-page-0034.jpg

Last edited:
I presume that the intermediate climbs mentioned are in some cases a best case/best guess scenario and it's far from certain that they will be used?
some of there are speculation, while some are as "confirmed" as it can get before the actual presentation.
Cesenatico being a copy of the Nove Colli is confirmed since like a year.
Agnello being on stage 20 has been confirmed by the mayor of Casteldelfino.
Multiple climbs of Ragogna (latest news say 3x) have been mentioned by every single source.

The rest is much less certain.

some of there are speculation, while some are as "confirmed" as it can get before the actual presentation.
Cesenatico being a copy of the Nove Colli is confirmed since like a year.
Agnello being on stage 20 has been confirmed by the mayor of Casteldelfino.
Multiple climbs of Ragogna (latest news say 3x) have been mentioned by every single source.

The rest is much less certain.

So stage 18 can even be Campo Carlo Magno - Tonale - Aprica - Mortirolo ala 2012 - last climb? (which La Stampa map suggests)

actually, La Stampa map suggests that from Pinzolo the'll head directly west, presumably digging a tunnel under the Adamello Park.
Those maps are random every year.

It's still a 'random' map going west instead of going east. I have my doubts that the map is so random.

But from the finish concept that stage should have Stelvio or Gavia before the final climb. Otherwise the finish makes no sense in week 3.

It's still a 'random' map going west instead of going east. I have my doubts that the map is so random.

But from the finish concept that stage should have Stelvio or Gavia before the final climb. Otherwise the finish makes no sense in week 3.
last year the map was implying a Gavia descent finish, between other things.
This year it also implies that Madonna di Campiglio is a descent finish.
I don't know how they do those routes, but I know that they are bull*.
And obviously I agree, that stage without Stelvio or Gavia makes no sense. The rumours say Stelvio (but only rumours, nothing certain) and there hasnt been a single real rumour about any other option, besides people in forums fearing that the Stelvio won't be in (also due to an article stating that the Agnello is "candidate to be Cima Coppi").

This is a new local article that explicitely states the route of the Cancano stage will be
Carlo Magno - Tonale - Gavia - Cancano

It's the first article in quite some time to give any info about the route, so it's definitely not a copy-paste of another one. I tend to believe it, but it does conflict to previous rumours that gave the Stelvio instead. I guess we'll see on Thursday.
Rest assured, if these two are the alternatives, I'm more than ok with either...

TRENDING THREADS