• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Contador was third in the TT due to a wind shift. He dominated everyone who started within an hour of him
Almost everyone who started in the final were either poor time trialists or in subpar form in a very low level field that is one of the worst GT field of the decade, the only one who is decent was Kruijswijk and lost less than a minute from him. Gaining three minutes over Aru and four over Landa is far from impressive over 60 kms and smashing subpar Porte, Uran, kreuziger or freaking Trofimov is far from being dominant.

"On the other hand, the Giro d'Italia is set to go long and hard, with five stages over 200km in the final week, three of which will include over 5,000 metres of climbing."

This just made my Rick very hard (though unfortunately only TDF stage length long).
where is this from? I must have missed it

edit: oh, it's from the article on our website... that would rule out the Gavia option if true
It also states Fraiteve is out... interesting

Last edited:
where is this from? I must have missed it

edit: oh, it's from the article on our website... that would rule out the Gavia option if true
It also states Fraiteve is out... interesting
As much of a monster as the Gavia is, IMHO it's for the best that it's left out. It's just far too fickle in May to be able to count on it being passable.

A shame really, because I'd love to see them go up from Ponte de Legno.

Apparently stage 7 should go over the climbs of Potame and Montescuro, ~150 km

PotameW.gif

MontescuroW.gif

Reactions: Red Rick
Montescuro should be roughly 9km away from Camigliatello Silano. Potame should quite nicely be linked with Montescuro but i don't know, how they will pass through Cosenza. The descent from Potame is very long (~20km) and it has a long (~10km) stretch of false-descent in the middle. I expected both climbs from the get go as they (with Crocetta much further to the north) seem to be the only climbs that are in some shape. Calabria has a distinction of having one of the worst quality roads in Italy.

I don't think it's the first time Camigliatello Silano will be in the Giro. I think it was a finish (twice?) in the 80's from Botte Donato. I also think Montescuro was one of many climbs that Merckx destroyed.

Reactions: Red Rick
Piancavallo rumored to be climbed from the easy side, according to an Oct 19 post by La Flamme Rouge.

He did say the La Stampa map "confirmed the rumor", which is BS apparently, but there seemingly was a rumor in the first place. Is this true?
there has been no specific rumoured route for Piancavallo's stage, besides it supposedly traversing the area around Pradis iirc

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
Always looked a bit odd to make such a long transfer without a rest day, but they're doing it.
Seems like Vuelta will be the GT where sprinters will have the most chances (another odd thing).
Strong possibility that Sagan will take part. His presence at the presentation is an obvious hint. And with Olympics less than a week after the Tour he might shift his GT focus next season.
GC-wise, nothing sticking out of the preferred format.

I'm counting 7 and an uncertain couple more.
That's a lot.
Sprinters will be happy and Sagan might be just a promoter of the starting region, after all.
There's a jersey he's defending in France and the Olympic circuit doesn't suit him that well anyway.
We'll see.
Sprinters can do Giro Tour not too much of a problem.

I think the issue usually is the Worlds, but that won't be the issue for Sagan either.

Of course the whole friggin route is leaked while I'm at the cinema.

I'm seeing only 5 certain sprints (2, 3, 8, 11, 19) plus maybe 2 depending on the actual route I can't quite understand from the graph (6 and 13)

Super happy about the Stelvio and Sestriere, Piancavallo also looks quite nice but it's hard to see exactly what climbs they are doing.

edit: stage 7 doesnt look exactly like the one I posted... maybe they are taking another road for Potame.

This is an opinion based on that leaked image. At first i wanted to compare it with the metaphorical Hindenburg of gaming - Fallout 76 and it's 100$ member$hip but that would be a bit too far i think. Sestriere and Canciano are still very good stages and i guess both Tortoreto Lido and Cesenatico may be great ot watch on TV. I'm also happy to see Potame/Montescuro combo and trying to keep Etna somewhat fresh but other than that there's nothing to see. Guys who love TTs should love it i guess. Prepare that all the important action will be on stages 18 & 20.

@Eshnar, i guess the easier side as i see Monte Rest (cat. 1/2) and possibly Pala Barzana (low cat. 2). The harder side would have a viible stretch of flat before it.

Of course the whole friggin route is leaked while I'm at the cinema.

I'm seeing only 5 certain sprints (2, 3, 8, 11, 19) plus maybe 2 depending on the actual route I can't quite understand from the graph (6 and 13)

Super happy about the Stelvio and Sestriere, Piancavallo also looks quite nice but it's hard to see exactly what climbs they are doing.

edit: stage 7 doesnt look exactly like the one I posted... maybe they are taking another road for Potame.

Portella Mandrazzi should be about 60km from the finish so probably only the fattest sprinters will get not make it back

Vieste looks sprinter friendly to me as well

TRENDING THREADS