• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I tried to judge it by the name's length and height and i think it's Sella Chiantuzan (~950m), Monte Rest (~1050m), [Forcella di] Pala Barzana (~850m) and Piancavallo. Judging that there's almost no flat before Piancavallo i guess it'll be the north side.

I tried to judge it by the name's length and height and i think it's Sella Chiantuzan (~950m), Monte Rest (~1050m), [Forcella di] Pala Barzana (~850m) and Piancavallo. Judging that there's almost no flat before Piancavallo i guess it'll be the north side.
i still don't know. La Flamme Rouge made the profile with the harder side on Twitter, and despite it having some flat before the last climb I really can't say this is for sure the wrong profile....

EHlswUkWsAEP3cl

IMHO it's always good to have a short ITT on the first day to stretch a bit the GC instead of a crashfest, but the other two are too short regardless if rumors are confirmed (a bit more than 30 kms and around 15 kms).

Anyway looks like they are continuing to put a decent numember of sprint stages to attract top sprinters for a couple of weeks, hilly and medium mountain terrain still not really good considering the potential around the Appennines and only two real mountain stages one of which will likely waste one of the greatest combo in cycling ( i don't think that cutting Fraiteve will change much unless someone needs and has the strenght to pull something like Froome on Finestre).

I generally like the approach of not having too many mountain stages but making the ones that are there count. I also like that there are some really lumpy looking medium mountain stages. All in all it's impossible to judge from that profile but I think there are too many sprint stages and the first weekend just hurts my eyes

The Hungarian stages + transfer are awful (why no Stage 4 through Austria or Slovenia and Friuli on Stage 5 if you can't/won't put a rest day?) , but a strong route after that despite the backloading. It's not far off from the 2015 route, imo - total ITT mileage is very similar and the spread of the mountains isn't that different either.

Really like some of the stages. The pacing isn't as bad as I thought, there are some opportunities for GC action in the first two weeks as well.

Edit: But to come back to a common theme... 3 of the first 4 weekend-stages are sprint stages. I mean, that's just stupid.

Reactions: yaco
Add 10 kms to the 2nd ITT and it's a 2015 level route.
Overall I'm happy with the route, the first week looks good, the 2nd week has the nove colli stage and the following stage as hilly stages before the itt and the big mtf and the only easy stage in the final week is 250 kms long.

Comparing this to 2015 is just dumb, sorry. What's wrong with Potame? I can predict the Cesenatico stage will be overrated. I also feel drained looking at these profiles. Stages 18 & 20 are very good and 60k of TT should force some guys for longer attacks but nothing before it besides Piancavallo and Etna. I don't think Montescuro will do the job just by itself. I feel the stage will end in a 10-15 man sprint. Tortoreto Lido and San Daniele in Friuli stages should be quite spectacular to watch on TV (unless next year Rolland Garros will finally decide to choke Giro out of any TV coverage) but i doub't thaey will have any impact on the overall race. The Bondone stage may have an interesting breakaway fight but i doubt there's a Rujano in making. I know people will most likely slander me for this but i'm not hot on this route. 6/10 for now but i may be a bit generous on this one. Considering how amazing my prediction skills are it means expect one of the best Giro in years...

EDIT: now i'm seeing these Tortoreto muritos aren't that ridiculous and Vieste seems to have an unnecesarry lap.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Red Rick
that final week is one of the most brutal i've ever seen. hopefully the stage 14 TT creates big enough gaps that there's big moves on all the remaining mountain stages or i could see the Madonna di Campiglio stage being kinda dull considering what comes after it. either way it will tire guys out for the two monster mountain stages.

8/10

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS