• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Review By Forum Users

We had a pandemic, we had cancelled races but we still had a season and some iconic moments.

Rider of the year?
One day race of the year?
Stage race of the year?
GT of the year?
Your favourite moment of the year?
Stage of the year?
WTF moment of the year?
Best climber of the year?
Best TTer of the year?
Best sprinter of the year?
Best classic rider of the year?
Your disappointment of the year?
Your surprise rider of the year?
Most aggressive rider of the year?
Best domestique of the year?
Best win of the year?
Best team of the year?
Most iconic moment of the year?

Last edited:
Rider of the year? Roglic

One day race of the year? Giro di Lombardia, Strade-Bianche, Gent-Wevelgem, Brabantse Pijl and Paris-Tours were all nice. I don't know really.

Stage race of the year? Probably Giro. Best week long stage race, I don't know. Dauphine was boring apart from the final
stage, and Paris-Nice was decent but I don't remember much, similar with Tirreno-Adriatico.

GT of the year? Giro d' Italia

Your favourite moment of the year? Stelvio stage was amazing, colossal gaps.

Stage of the year? Giro stage 18 ( Stelvio <3 ), followed by the last stage of Dauphine.

WTF moment of the year? Pogacar at Planche des Belles Filles and Dennis being the best climber of Giro in week 3.

Best climber of the year? Pogacar

Best TTer of the year? Ganna

Best sprinter of the year? Demare or Bennett, but we didn't see them go head to head in a GT.

Best classic rider of the year? Van Aert, closely followed by Alaphilippe.

Your disappointment of the year? Nibali, sadly. Bernal had an injury, so he's excused.

Your surprise rider of the year? Almeida

Most aggressive rider of the year? Alaphilippe

Best domestique of the year? Dennis came up when it mattered in Giro, Kuss and Van Aert were great too. One of the 3.

Best win of the year? Van der Poel at the last stage of Binckbank Tour or Sagan at Stage 10 of Giro d' Italia.

Best team of the year? Jumbo-Visma, they made some tactical mistakes, but they have an amazing team. Won Sanremo, Liege, Vuelta, Strade. They also finished 2nd in Tour, WCRR, Lombardia, WCTT and Ronde.

Most iconic moment of the year? Van der Poel, Van Aert and Alaphilippe going clear in Ronde, then the final between VdP and WvA. Or Pogacar vs Roglic in the final ITT.

Rider of the year? Roglič

One day race of the year? Strade Bianche

Stage race of the year? Tour de France

GT of the year? Again, Tour de France

Your favourite moment of the year? The exact precise moment when Bernal crumbles in the wheel of Roglič on stage 2 of the Dauphine up Col de Porte.

Stage of the year? Stelvio stage in the Giro

WTF moment of the year? Pogačar TT in the Tour

Best climber of the year? Pogačar

Best TTer of the year? Ganna

Best sprinter of the year? Demare

Best classic rider of the year? Van Aert

Your disappointment of the year? The whole "old guard" - Quintana, Froome, Dumoulin, Bardet, Pinot, Nibali, S. Yates... - a lot of promise once again with nothing to show off...

Your surprise rider of the year? G. Martin

Most aggressive rider of the year? Hirschi

Best domestique of the year? Van Aert or Dennis. Hard to decide on this one.

Best win of the year? Van Aert - San Remo

Best team of the year? Jumbo Visma

Most iconic moment of the year? My biased opinion - LBL finale - with 3 Slovenians in the top 4 and Roglič stealing it on the line. Non-biased opinion - THAT HORRIBLE HELMET on La Planche.

Rider of the year?
Primoz Roglic

Strade Bianche. Racing was great, and it was the first big race after months without cycling. Pure joy.

Stage race of the year?
A grandisima Volta a Portugal. It was a special edition after all.

GT of the year?
Hard to tell. None of the GTs was particularly entertaining this year. I'll go with the Vuelta.

Van der Poel vs Van Aert sprint in de Ronde.

Stage of the year?
Stelvio, no doubt.

WTF moment of the year?
Hindley, TGH and Hindley taking off at the beginning of Piancavallo.

The obvious answer here is Pogacar, but I'm going with Quintana. His performances earlier this year were astonishing.

Best TTer of the year?
Pippo.

Demare.

Van Aert.

I know he had health issues but has to be Bernal.

Richie Porte. His TDF podium came entirely unexpected to me.

Alaphilippe. He animated almost every major race he rode.

There are different ways of being a valuable domestique. You can be the realiable, kind of invisible type of rider who will work earlier in races, pulling the peloton for dozens of km and fetching bottles or the one who comes good in a couple of crucial moments and makes you win the race.
First one is Bobby Gesink for me, he deserves a lot of credit for how he switched to a different role and embraced it completely. Second one is Rohan Dennis.

Best win of the year?
Sagan in the Giro.

Best team of the year?
Jumbo.

1600x900_1601824176461.photo_2020_10_04_17_07_58.jpg

• Love
Reactions: gregrowlerson
Rider of the year? Roglic. Not much discussion needed. Not the most flashy GC rider but nontheless the most consistently great performer of the year.

One day race of the year? Strade Bianche. The joy of a recently restarted season, the heat, the dust, Tuscany on an august afternoon and an amazing WVA. What more do you want?

Stage race of the year? Dauphiné. Great action every day. GC fights and breaks. Amazing last stage, but even the days before when Jumbo dominated the GC battle there was the Formolino raid or Kamna riding an impressive break off his wheel. Giro in second place.

GT of the year? Giro. Jumbo sucking the life out of the GC battle at the Tour (a mircale performance by Pogacar doesn't make up for Aigoual, Grand Colombier etc.) and a Vuelta that lacked any real highs just don*t come close.

Your favourite moment of the year? Tour, Stage 20. Couldn't believe it and there was instantly the feeling of witnessing history. Incredible.

Stage of the year? Could again go for stage 20 of Tour but that'd be boring and I recognized it above. So here I'm going for Dauphiné stage 5. Great GC race due to no Jumbo train, great fight for the stage, coalitions being applied, Pinot missing out on a huge emotional home victory. Short: a lot of action and drama.

WTF moment of the year? Pogacars Tour ITT. Honorable mention of Rohan riding up the stelvio like there was some sort of golden instagram meme the winner of Cima Coppi gets awarded.

Best climber of the year? Tadej Pogacar for his absolute highs. Roglic deserves it for consistency.

Best TTer of the year? Ganna.

Best sprinter of the year? Arnaud Démare. Dominating flat Giro sprints and winning toe to toe hilly finals against Alaphillipe. Bonus points for his dancing skills in UAE.

Best classic rider of the year? Wout van Aert.

Your disappointment of the year? Due to injury: Buchmann. Not injured and dissapointing: Viviani.

Your surprise rider of the year? Joao Almeida. Lots of incredible talent up and coming. But wasn't expecting him to be this good, this early. Amazing.

Most aggressive rider of the year? Hirschi and Guillaume Martin.

Best domestique of the year? Nico Denz at the Giro. Not as flashy as Dennis two great stages but he did a tremendous race. Positioning Matthews for sprints early in the race, riding on the front for hundreds of kilometres to protect his captains or keep breaks in check, being there until only 60 guys are left in high mountains of the 3rd week, placing 19th among GC riders on the Tortoreto stage only to finish 6th on a flat sprint the next day. He carried an immense Sunweb team on his daily hard work and had not a single day off.

Best win of the year? Sagan at the Giro.

Best team of the year? Sunweb. There were a lot of doubts about their way of doing things, they were even getting a bit of a meme a la Movistar for letting all the riders go once they have developed them. But they were great pre lockdown (Paris-Nice) and especially post lockdown. Turns out the strategy to ride aggressive and target stages until the next GC guy steps up, was the best they could have done. SKA and Hirschi as poster boys at the Tour, but even the rest of the team did really good. Then Hirschi stepping it up in the big one day races after the Tour. Followed by being the best team of the Giro (GC focussed team), placing 2 riders on the podium and being close to victory while everyone expected a Top 5 beforehand at max. Amazing. And then you go to the Vuelta with basically an U23 team that is filled to the gills with talent and every one of them performs to the max and even above expectations. Not a single rider on the Vuelta squad who didn't at least finished Top 5 on a stage. Future is bright.

Most iconic moment of the year? Pogacars ITT. Alternatively, as already mentioned above, Alaphillipe doing a Zabel in the rainbow jersey. Third contender being the rider strike at the Giro which could set a new standard and thus develop into a turning point of how much weight the riders can hold and use to pressure organizers into a direction in course design which they see fit.

We had a pandemic, we had cancelled races but we still had a season and some iconic moments.

Aww I actually thought we were going to review other forum users :-(

Rider of the year?
I said "van Aert" last week, and after thinking about it, i've only become more convinced of it. When he won, he won because he was the best and in spite of him getting little to no team support. He was among the best sprinters, the best climbers, the best cobbled riders, best ITT'ers, best domestiques, won with panache, lost with honor.

Strade

Stage race of the year?
Burgos. First meeting of Evenepoel with top tier climbers. Emergence of João Almeida. Insane effort by Roger Adria. Crosswinds before the Picon Blanco in stage 3.

GT of the year?
TDF

Van Aert winning Strade at the same moment Evenepoel was winning in Burgos.
Van Aert winning was even more of an emotional moment considering his injury.

Stage of the year?
Stage 4 Tour de Pologne.

WTF moment of the year?
TDF ITT Planche. Wout and Tom agree.

Sepp Kuss? I would like to see him unshackled to really be able to judge his level. He looks dominant often, and then he's gone. I'm sure he could have won the final stage in Burgos if he didn't have to babysit Bennett for a top 10 spot in GC.

Best TTer of the year?
Ganna and the only guy who beat him.

I didn't see any sprinter really dominating against other top level sprinters. So i'll go with Démare.
No, i'll go with Jakobsen. I think he was going to be a real contender this year in the big races (he was certainly on track to whoop Groenewegen's ass in Pologne). Hope he can come back healthy and pick up where he left off.

Van Aert & Alaphilippe

The absolute boring, coma-inducing way of riding by Jumbo/Roglic would have been the disappointment of the year if it weren't for Evenepoel's crash in Lombardia.

Almeida & Hirschi

Roglic.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITcNbEPdpJU

Van Aert in the TDF.
Roglic in the TDF (for Pogacar).

Best win of the year?
Van der Poel beating van Aert by tactics in the sprint. Very deliberate and sly because it increased his chances considerably.
Wellens beating Woods in the Vuelta by wit and making the effort to check the roadbook. Brilliant win.
Sagan winning a 25km sprint.
Evenepoel taking a 53km stroll.

Best team of the year?
Ineos. They won a bigger GT than Jumbo, and raced much more aggressively and entertainingly throughout due to leaders dropping like flies.

Evenepoel dropping Landa, Mas, Yates, Chaves, Bennett, Grossschartner, Carapaz, Kuss, Sosa, Valverde... on Picon Blanco.

Boni question - Forum user of the year:
Sandisfan, for personally being responsible for half of my "likes" and often understanding when i'm joking when others don't.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Nov 3, 2020
Visit site
Rider of the year?
Roglic. I don't like how he races but I can't deny the consistency and the results.

Liege. It was a great race which had one of the most memorable WTF moments of the season.

Stage race of the year?
I'll go with the BinckBank Tour. It got changed because of Covid restrictions but it had a really memorable final stage.

GT of the year?
None of the Grand Tours were good this year in my opinion. The Vuelta probably had the best action day to day but I don't think there was anything memorable that will make me remember it in three years. The Tour had the time trial and the Giro had Sagan's win and the Stelvio stage which are things I'll remember about this season but both were less consistently entertaining than the Vuelta.

I'll go with the Giro but it's really close between the three GT's.

EiSnA85WkAAmSff.jpeg

Stage of the year?
Stelvio stage. Everything I love about watching cycling. The race being blown apart on an epic mountain, all the riders having their own race with the course and some team drama and controversy. The only flaw was that there was no attacking on the stage, it was a war of attrition.

WTF moment of the year?
Alaphillipe celebrating in Liege to early, losing it on the line and then getting relegated. Then after saying he had learned his lesson he almost lost again in the same fashion in his next race.

Pogacar.

Best TTer of the year?
Ganna
Demare

Wout Van Aert

Bernal was a disappointment on the bike. I was also disappointed we didn't get to see Remco in a Grand Tour.

Hart. I don't think he had any results that suggested he could win a grand tour, even if the level was really bad.

Hirschi

Rohan Dennis at the Giro.

Best win of the year?

Pogacar. The win at La Planche des Belles Filles will be the thing we remember most about this season and rightfully so in my opinion, especially since he didn't just win the Tour but he destroyed everyone on the Course.

Best team of the year?
Jumbo. They won two Monuments, podiumed one GT and won the overall of another Grand Tour and had two of the four best riders of the season.

Pogacar's TT.

Rider of the year?

Wout Van Aert. I know you're supposed to answer Roglic but he got really lucky in LBL and Van Aert has just been extra-extra-extraordinary this season. Of course it would have been prettier if he had launched his sprint a second earlier in Oudenaarde but still, the guy was a monster.

Wins in Strade, MSR, 2 Tour stages, 1 Dauphiné stage, Belgian TT, 2nd places in WCITT, WCRR and Flanders, are you kidding me? And then his mountain domestiqueing in a Tour where he without trying was 20th on GC. It still blows my mind and to me he was much more impressive than Roglic who also had an incredible season, I'll give him that.

Strade Bianche versus LBL, I think.

I give it to LBL out of spite of the fact that we are never allowed to watch Strade from early on.

Stage race of the year?
If this is non-GT stage races, I will pick Paris-Nice over Tirreno-Adriatico and the Dauphiné.

GT of the year?
Hmm, I don't think any of them were that great. But maybe the Giro was a little bit better (as usual) than the other two.

Sagan reaching the top of the final climb on his stage in the Giro without getting caught.

Otherwise, the final 2 frantic kilometres on La Covatilla where a Grand Tour was more directly on the line (on a non-ITT stage) than I can remember having seen before.

Stage of the year?
Giro d'Italia stage 10. It was a fabulous day throughout. Sagan in a two-man group with Ganna, making him suffer. The break killing off the charging Groupama team. Then UAE and NTT went to the front and almost caught the front riders. Suddenly, Sagan turned back time and outclimbed Ben Swift who would go on to finish 18th on GC and kept the attacking Pello Bilbao at bay. It was by far the most memorable day of the season for me.

Stage 18 was of course also great, and for me personally, it finally made me realise that Bilbao wouldn't crack, Kelderman would stay on the podium and Almeida would maintain a high GC placing which meant that I would go on to win the Feltet.dk fantasy game. After 10 years of setting one fantasy team for each Grand Tour that was pretty special.

WTF moment of the year?
Pogacar murdering Roglic on La Planche des Belles Filles.

Also the penultimate stage in the Tour of Poland. That solo by Evenpoel was something else.

And of course Van Aert becoming third on one of the toughest mountain stages in the Tour, although at that point it was - almost - to be expected.

A final shootout of course to the LBL sprint.

Pogacar.

Best TTer of the year?
Ganna.

Démare.

Van Aert.

Obviously the fact that Paris-Roubaix was cancelled.

If we're talking riders, probably Higuita, although that was maybe primarily due to crashes. But I had really high expectations towards him, and he was really good before the break but then quite ordinary after.

It was a bit of a WTF moment too to watch him riding in the cross-winds of Paris-Nice.

Dumoulin was also a big disappointment.

The stage that left me with the biggest feeling of disappointment must be stage 7 of the Tour where Bora had drilled it the whole stage and Sagan then botched his sprint and finished 13th. That was tough to swallow.

Again it's hard to see past Van Aert. Hirschi was also performing quite a bit better than I had thought possible.

Hard to say. That word has a lot of meanings. Probably Moscon with his bike throw but I don't think that's something to laud him for.

Van Aert? Kuss? Dennis?

Best win of the year?

I'm sticking to my Sagan stage.

Best team of the year?

Hard not to say Jumbo-Visma if you want to be serious.

The LBL sprint.

Then Roglic and his helmet on PDBF.

But imagine if Van Aert had been Belgian champion, then him going toe-to-toe against van der Poel in Flanders would have been even more perfect.

Last edited:
Rider of the year?
Roglic

Strade Bianche

Stage race of the year?
Idk. Giro? The Dauphine wasn't all that great and afterwards I only really watched the gt's, after all we had 3 of them within two months. I guess the Giro was my favorite gt of the year, but winning in this category really isn't something to be proud of this season.

GT of the year?
Giro

I don't really have that good of a pick for this, but that attack by Kämna and him pulling away from Carapaz metre by metre was pretty special, considering he was a rider I was waiting to have his breakthrough performance for a few years now.

Stage of the year?
I guess this is the first of many spots where I could put the Tour TT (let's be real, in 20 years that's the stage people will still be talking about) but for the sake of variety I pick the Stelvio stage

WTF moment of the year?
That moment when Nibali finally dropped in Piancavallo and I started to realize the giro was between Kelderman, Hindley, Hart and Almeida. Still feels weird writing that

Pogacar

Best TTer of the year?
Ganna, but TT performance of the year would again be by Pogacar

Demare

Van Aert, but as I've written in a few threads now, if Alaphilippe had both more luck and brain cells he could have had an even better season.

Vincenzo Nibali and really the whole old guard being nowhere in the giro.

Too many to just pick one. I definitely did not expect Pogacar to go straight to winning the Tour. I definitely did not expect that giro podium and although I maybe should have I was still shocked when Evenepoel kept pulling off those ridiculous solos as if he was still riding in the junior categories.

For the time before his injury I pick Remco, but that's mostly because I don't really see a different candidate.

Sepp Kuss, George Bennett, Wout Van Aert and Tom Dumoulin and their incredible work for Tadej Pogacar

Best win of the year?
Of the big races I think Alaphilippe's win in the WCRR was my favorite, but I'll give this one to Sagan and his giro stage win. That was absolutely special.

Best team of the year?
JV

EiSnA85WkAAmSff.jpeg

GettyImages-1266455264-920x613.jpg

The first one is an instant classic, the second one largely depends on Remco's further career. If he doesn't live up to expectations this moment will forever be the question mark next to the biggest talent we've seen in decades. If he does live up to expectations it will be the moment that could have ended the career of an all time great before it even really began.

Piancavallo stage is a great pick for a WTF moment.
Alaphillpe getting Zabel'd by Roglic is iconic too but didn't matter since he got relegated anyways. Evenepoel crash at Lombardia is a good pick too. If he doesn't perform as well as predicted there will be that 'What if?' about the crash.

I would also add Kelderman suddenly dropping almost a minute before the final climb of stage 18. He got dropped on Stelvio but looked like he was limiting his losses, but then the team car passed him and he slowed down massively. Was a surreal scene, a good WTF moment imo.

Rider of the year?
The best rider was Pogacar, in my opinion, but the "rider of the year" as in "rider who embossed the whole season" would be Roglic.

Hard to tell, almost all of them were great. I'll go with LBL because it had pretty much all the best riders in the final after most of them had already been there at the Worlds, so it had a history, and then there was this slightly crazy final moment. Or maybe it was Strade, could only watch the second half, when it was already blown to peaces, and then it was exciting till the end.

Stage race of the year?
Dauphiné? Maybe. Not exactly a balanced route, but I remember being entertained very well almost every day.

GT of the year?
Don't know, not the Vuelta.

Can't say, really. Van Aert's last k's in Strade, Alaphilippe's only and final attack in the worlds, Carapaz and Kwiatkowski in the Tour...

Stage of the year?
Either the one that Martinez won against Schachmann and Kämna or the one where Hart and Hindley went head to head. The one that Hirschi did not win, but almost, then lost so close to Rog and Pog, was pretty good, too.

WTF moment of the year?
Pogacar's ITT. Several others in contention for the podium here, but that one stood out. Alaphilippe in the Brabantse Pijl, the peloton claiming the stage is too long and it's raining. I also can't forget Evenepoel going over that bridge. Hindley fighting with his jacket, everytime I thought he had it...

Hugh Quinloley?

Best TTer of the year?
That good-looking young Italian track rider with the blurred golden bike.

After this year I really could not tell. Of course one's tempted to say Démare, but somehow he didn't win the biggest races, so I have a slight aversion against naming him... he was incredibly "resilient", though, and some of his wins looked very dominant.

I need to see van Aert vs. Alaphilippe in P-R first. Well, I guess van Aert takes that...

Hm. Pinot. Heartbreak again. And nothing to salvage it, so far.
Pedersen not getting a chance to win P-R in the rainbow jersey was also quite disappointing, but he's young.

There's van Aert. I had him expected to do very well, but not like this. And Démare, I absolutely did not have him on my list of riders you'd speak about all season. But my number 1 may be Richie Porte, who I would NOT have expected on the podium with this startlist. Almeida?

Alaphilippe. Second Guillaume Martin, third Hirschi, Pogacar and - no. Stop that. Cavagna.

Best: van Aert. Most precious: Dennis.

Best win of the year?
I think I missed a few that would belong here and among the others there were some rather unexpected ones, like Hart, some bombings, like Pogacar, some dominant ones, some clever ones, some funny ones and surprisingly many ones because one or more of the main contenders crashed out. The best one must be the most dominant one in the hardest race? I'll pass.

Best team of the year?
The Jumblebees, but Sunweb were more surprising. If Evenepoel had not crashed it would have been DQS.

I think Safe Bet put the picture in already (Alaphilippe boldly celebrating while Roglic takes it), but the look on van Aert's and Dumoulin's faces was pretty iconic as well. The photo I will hang up on my wall is Cosnefroy in polka dots, of course.

Yeah, this post does not look good on my ability to make decisions.

I mean it's not really iconic but Cosnefroy hanging on to the polka dots from stage 2 all the way to stage 17 was really a story worth remembering. The guy was barely able to survive 2nd category climbs in breakaways yet was still leading the king of the mountains classification after two of the three big mountain blocks, only losing it on the penultimate mountain stage. That was so weird.

Rider of the year? Wout Van Aert. I think on pure results, he's a Flanders or Worlds win behind Roglic. But let's be honest, we spent more of the Tour talking about Wout than Primoj. MVP by some way
One day race of the year? Strade
Stage race of the year? Giro d'Italia. Perhaps not the whole thing, but I think the level was higher than some give credit for, and it was a fun watch.
GT of the year? Giro as above
Your favourite moment of the year? Carapaz and Kwiato stage win.
Stage of the year? Stelvio day.
WTF moment of the year? Roglic TdF TT collapse/Tadej warpspeed
Best climber of the year? Pog probs
Best TTer of the year? Ganna easy
Best sprinter of the year? Sam Bennett
Best classic rider of the year? Wout
Your disappointment of the year? Bernal's back problems. Could've been quite a show at the Tour if he'd had 2019 legs and body.
Your surprise rider of the year? Jai Hindley. I thought a ride like that was still a few years away.
Most aggressive rider of the year? Marc Hirschi. Easy guy to root for which makes it all the better
Best domestique of the year? Wout
Best win of the year? I'm going with Carthy on Angliru. You get moments each year where someone arrives, really breaks through, but they're rarely on those iconic days. To win Angliru in that manner toe-to-toe with those favourites was a biggie.
Best team of the year? Bzzz
Most iconic moment of the year? Julian winning Worlds. To me it feels like Bettini's first, or Sagan's first: finally, but also it was always going to happen at some stage. I think he'll be a hell of a World Champ (already is), and that's important for the sport.

Special mention to Alex Dowsett and Dan Martin for reminding us that even that one good day is worth the bad ones, and for not being afraid to show that this game is important to them, even in a year where bike racing couldn't matter less.

Rider of the year?
Roglic

No Paris-Roubaix so guess I'll go with Fleche Wallone

Stage race of the year?
Duaphine

GT of the year?
La Vuelta

The way Roglic won LBL

Stage of the year?
Formigal