• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 10: L’Aquila – Foligno 139 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Sprint or breakaway?

• Sprint

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • Breakaway

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Eshnar mentions we could see a sizable breakaway for this stage. Perhaps—since L’Aquila is involved—we can get a break of 56 riders getting a gap of 17 minutes? ;)

That was one of my favorite following-CN-forum-updates stages of all time. Each and Every time someone new logged in (expecting to see a few pages of comments about a hum-drum stage) someone had to explain what the hell was going on. So fun:)

It's true, no stage in this area should be discussed without a cursory glance here: https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/giro-ditalia-stage-11-lucera-laquila-262km.7431/

Five riders in the breakaway. Right now I would say the chance is very low that the stage winner comes out of this group.
Clipboard.jpg

Not even being given 2 mins. I'd just sit up if I was them, pointless

That's why I said that if they want to play this hare chase charade, there should be a rule to give them at least 10 minutes on the flat stages. Make it so that the break has an actual chance of making it. The current situation is just the peloton saying "we're having a rest day and that's final".

Not even being given 2 mins. I'd just sit up if I was them, pointless

It's not totally pointless, at least not for Marengo and Pellaud, who are fighting against each other for the minor classifications. And if that were the mentality, there would rarely be any breaks at all. These guys know they probably won't win, but if they weren't in the break, they would definitely not win, and they wouldn't be earning their teams exposure and prize money either.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's not totally pointless, at least not for Marengo and Pellaud, who are fighting against each other for the minor classifications. And if that were the mentality, there would rarely be any breaks at all. These guys know they probably won't win, but if they weren't in the break, they would definitely not win, and they wouldn't be earning their teams exposure and prize money either.

I sort of feel like you should have give them at least some shot. As it is, theres no chance they win. At maybe 5 mins, you give them a slight belief they can hold on tbf.

Reactions: Lequack
I sort of feel like you should have give them at least some shot. As it is, theres no chance they win. At maybe 5 mins, you give them a slight belief they can hold on tbf.

There aren't that many opportunites for the sprinters in this Giro, and they have already missed one of them, so I understand why they aren't giving them too much time on a relatively short stage like this.

They could at least install a game for the tv viewers, by putting different sponsors on the jersey each day. "Identify each of the 28 names and win a signed taco-holder or a wine-glass used by a true Italian by calling NOW".

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Oh I get it, I just think it sucks. Like Ineos and Jumbo trains up mountains, it's crap for the viewer.

I was hoping that BORA would drill it for a good hour and try to get Sagan to win the intermediate sprint and follow through if some of the other sprinters got caught out, but I knew that was not to be expected. But at least now it seems they are going to keep riding at a fast/not too slow pace and not just take a long breather before reeling the break back in.

TRENDING THREADS