• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 15: Grado – Gorizia 147 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Maximum gap for the early breakaway?

• There will be no breakaway

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Less than 2 minutes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2-4 minutes

• 4-6 minutes

• 6-8 minutes

• 8-10 minutes

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • 10-12 minutes

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • 12-15 minutes

• 15-20 minutes

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 20+ minutes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well... we can only trust that the organisers know what they're doing. And at least the race at barely started.

And this is the crux right here, i.e. we don't trust them, at all (well I certainly don't).

This is the second really inexplicable commissaire decision in recent weeks, after the Romandie incident when they neutralized a mountain descent & comically gave the breakaway an extra 2 minute lead. Now we're going to wonder how, why & when a race should be neutralized after a crash.

Buchmann abandoned.

Bad for him. But that's generally how riders who're seriously hurt get medical attention after a crash: they abandon the race. It's not like getting the ambulance to badly injured riders after neutralizing the race is going to help them get back on a bike.

I was honestly quite relieved to see that the ambulance stopped at the back of the bunch. I was worried it was a case of needing to get the ambulance through with someone who needed to go to the hospital fast!

Only two riders were down properly, they acted like 15 needed the ambulance

Buchmann, Berhane, Van Emden already out. Guerreiro doesn't look good either. Bunch of others clearly also affected.

And this is the crux right here, i.e. we don't trust them, at all (well I certainly don't).

This is the second really inexplicable commissaire decision in recent weeks, after the Romandie incident when they neutralized a mountain descent & comically gave the breakaway an extra 2 minute lead. Now we're going to wonder how, why & when a race should be neutralized after a crash.

And then in Romandie, it turned out that the break probably never got that big a lead as the graphics led us to believe.
However, in cases like this, I prefer that organisers errr on the side of everyone's safety.

Hatch also just made a good point; what if there had been another crash 10-20 Ks up the road, and the ambulances were all busy with this crash?

The immediate hysteria is excellent but naturally totally misplaced; this was 3km into the race, a big crash, and the road is such that the medical cars had to go through the peloton to reach them. There was the risk of someone being seriously injured and needing immediate treatment, so it was right to stop the race.
If there's only one road out of the starting town the neutralisation should last until the race is off said road. Similar how the descent out of Méribel was fully neutralised on stage 18 of last year's Tour.

Reactions: Red Rick

TRENDING THREADS