• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 17: Canazei - Sega di Ala 193 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How acquainted shall we be with the finish line during the stage?

• Not at all

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Just the regular Bernie stuff

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Few shots due to loss of live coverage

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • They might show some shots of more than a few seconds...

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • All the finish line shots!

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
Bernal or break. Rinse and repeat on stage 19. Any attack from San Valentino looks doomed to me, not only in failing to win but also ultimately losing significant time as a result. It should be dry, looks like strong headwind in the valley (and in fact for most of the key parts of the stage) and the final climb is much too difficult to steal any significant advantage anyway. Yates may well bounce back here but would probably still only be 2nd strongest at best

How have I now heard about this finishing climb before?

These two last climbs are pretty *** hard, hoping Bernal obliterates the rest again and wins the stage, but I fear peloton doesnt care and then Bernal will prolly just sit in wheels the last few stages.
I'm assuming you didn't check in detail when the route came out and the media was too busy salivating and pissing themselves at zomg Zoncolan?

Reactions: Sandisfan
How have I now heard about this finishing climb before?

These two last climbs are pretty *** hard, hoping Bernal obliterates the rest again and wins the stage, but I fear peloton doesnt care and then Bernal will prolly just sit in wheels the last few stages.

Think given he already put a bow on his race yesterday he'll probably keep it chill now and not risk overdoing anything for his back unless the team are really confident in his physical health.

Still huge potential to be a great day

Think given he already put a bow on his race yesterday he'll probably keep it chill now and not risk overdoing anything for his back unless the team are really confident in his physical health.

Still huge potential to be a great day
If the stage is up for grabs, 95% chance Bernal will just go for it at 3-4km . If it isn't I can see him suckwheeling someone.

I expect the GC guys to win tomorrow. The first 90km are awful for breakaway formation, after that there's not a lot of time to gain time, and I expect at least one team to try and pace San Valentino

Yes, when we already know who the winner is, the best for the race is just to watch that winner stamp his authority and win in the leaders jersey and watch the rest of the podium play out, alá 2011. An underrated aspect when most commentators seem to prefer "an open race" where jackshit happens until the last few stages of the race. Hopefully this race can at least give us that..

TRENDING THREADS