• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia Stage 3: Biella - Canale 190 KM

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That was a big effort from all of them. Buchmann presumably not too happy about it.

Yeah, they definitely cannot fully support both Sagan and Buchmann during the whole Giro if it goes on like this. Either Buchmann clearly isn't good enough for a top 5, then I could understand them, but if they make the team work like this on rather flat stages, there won't be any mountain support for Buchmann at all.

Reactions: Remy55
At least Sagan didn’t blow it himself. I will never understand what UAE thought they were doing there. Or why Cofidis took so long to do the most obvious thing in the world.

They didn't trust their sprinters, I suppose... And obviously Israel should have done the work here... ;)
But jokes aside, I think UAE should really have worked for Gaviria here, after yesterday especially. They could also have sent Ulissi out?

Yeah, they definitely cannot fully support both Sagan and Buchmann during the whole Giro if it goes on like this. Either Buchmann clearly isn't good enough for a top 5, then I could understand them, but if they make the team work like this on rather flat stages, there won't be any mountain support for Buchmann at all.
If they don't work on a stage which is tailor made for Sagan then taking him to the Giro was pointless.

Well, the pecking order on Bora is pretty obvious, and understandably so for various reasons.

If they don't work on a stage which is tailor made for Sagan then taking him to the Giro was pointless.

I can understand most of the work they did today, but at one point I think they should have refused further work (after the last harder climb at least), and let the other teams do some as well. This way, them working all day practically from start to finish alone (apart from Alpecin), the other teams just don't feel responsible at all. Of course Sagan was the over-favourite, but the finish showed he was not head and shoulders above everyone in the (depleted) sprint.

Reactions: Gregor_Slovenia
I think UAE/Cofidis mistiming the catch in comedy fashion did obscure a little just how strong VDH was there.

They were about 40s behind with 9km remaining when he attacked, that Ciccone and Gallopin were unable to get anywhere him even with him being in the break all day and the chasers being relatively fresh indicates that it wasn't just the group stuffing up the timing.

YEAAAH TACOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That was great to watch. I remember 3 years ago he was so good at CT level and even competing with Vd Poel and Van Aert in some of the Belgian autumn races.
Then he went to Jumbo but never did well because of being pushed into a helper role and struggling from the effects of a heavy fall with a concussion.

Good to see him finally back at that level we saw him 3 years ago.

TRENDING THREADS