• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 - Hopes and Expectations

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
General hopes:

1. Tom Pidcock not to have his talent ruined by Skyneos, such as by being merely the fourth man in the Carapaz train at Romandie or some BS. Let him race how he wants to race in smaller races and see what his talent is at the over-23 level.
  2. Cavendish to have a swansong final win somewhere, and not somewhere random like the Boucles de la Mayenne.
  3. Froome to be better than he currently is.
  4. Jakobsen to recover as well as possible.
  5. Evenepoel to recover as well as possible.

Classics hopes - some contradictory:

1. Phil Gil to win MSR.
  2. WVA and MVDP to give us a real show in the classics, albeit saving one big race for...
  3. Sep Vanmarcke to win a monument at last.
  4. Niki Terpstra to have a good season (I don't know why I like him but I do).
  5. Moscon to confirm (again?) whether his 2017 classics results were a fluke or not.
  6. Yves Lampaert to win a big race.
  7. I have a general bugbear that I wish classics riders would ride all the monuments. WVA, among others, has the ability to win all five. It always annoyed me that Cancellara and Boonen never rode LBL. Of course they would have been highly unlikely to win but not ever even riding it felt kind of disrespectful.

Reactions: limak_ and SafeBet
Hope that Evenepoel will come back like van Aert did, immediately taking away any doubt about his injury not having a lasting impact.
Hope he wins some big goals in spectacular fashion.
Hope van Aert wins either Paris Roubaix or Flanders.
Hope we will get a normal, Corona free season.
Hope we see the end of GT trains.
Hope cycling gets more recognition around the world with bigger sponsors willing to invest.
Hope Ineos will continue to ride more agressively.

I expect few of my hopes to become reality.

Getting Flanders and Roubaix with in form and healthy versions of Sagan,Alaphilippe, GVA, WVA and VDP. Bonus if they go crazy racing each other and somehow lose out to a randomer who manages to latch on after being in the break all day.

Valverde to win a race.

A relatively normal season post April (I can see a bunch of the early season races outside Europe not happening).

The return of Remco.

Almeida and G Martin becoming best cycling friends and randomly attacking all over the place together in the Tour

Hopes

1. Valverde will retire.
  2. My mother will make an appearance sometime.

Expectations

1. Remco's thread to exceed 500 pages.
  2. Remco to double every other riders thread pages as he will be compared to them some way or another.

Fears

1. My hopes will not happen
  2. My expectations will definitely happen
  3. I will end up losing my mind as there will be very little else to read on this forum without the name Remco mentioned.

Other than that I hope everyone on this forum will have a very Happy Christmas and New Year and we all enjoy some sort of racing normality next year with not too much mention of a certain name, which I have mentioned far too much myself in this post.

Hopes

1. Valverde will retire.
  2. My mother will make an appearance sometime.
Expectations

1. Remco's thread to exceed 500 pages.
  2. Remco to double every other riders thread pages as he will be compared to them some way or another.
Fears

1. My hopes will not happen
  2. My expectations will definitely happen
  3. I will end up losing my mind as there will be very little else to read on this forum without the name Remco mentioned.
Other than that I hope everyone on this forum will have a very Happy Christmas and New Year and we all enjoy some sort of racing normality next year with not too much mention of a certain name, which I have mentioned far too much myself in this post.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq3boAhq_as

Hopes:
  • That 2021 will be more like a normal season where the playing field is more equal than it was this year
  • That Valverde and Sagan will bounce back after 2020
  • That Fuglsang will put his focus solely on 1-week-stageraces and one-day-races (Seeing him in RVV would be great)
  • That Froome will regain some of his old mojo. Mainly because the prospects of watching him in Israel Start-Up Nation clothes struggling to survive races is not worthy for anyone with his palmares and history.

Expectations:
  • The young riders will continue conquering the cycling world
  • MVDP and WVA is going to dominate the Belgian classics
  • Roglic will win the Tour

Fears:
  • apart from Remco, Pogacar and a few other riders in other teams, it worries me that two teams alone (Jumbo and Ineos) have such a big bulk of the potential Grand Tour Winners for next season
  • the fact the young riders are taking over at such a young age frightens me, because it takes away a lot of the fascination that I have for the sport when practically juniors can just step in from the sidelines and beat established pros, some of whom I regard with mythical appreciation.

TRENDING THREADS