• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Trentino European Championships 8-12 September

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Switzerland could easily have won this if they brought the A team, though it's not a wonder that they didn't.

Also what happened to the Slovenian team?

The Netherlands takes bronze at European Championships in mixed team time trial, gold for Italy - Teller Report

Slovenia withdrew from the mixed team time trial on Wednesday shortly before the start.

Tour winner Tadej Pogacar would compete with his girlfriend and Slovenian time trial champion Urska Zigart.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
on ES experience was far worse with the boring tech guy....................talking sh!te too...
'women's times will have greater impact on overall result....of course it was polar opposite
with italian advantage secured on mens leg'

could ganna have won solo riding both laps?

Mark L

Well, the Italian women weren't bad either and Ganna's male teammates weren't bad either - in the German team you could see how the others could hardly keep up with Walscheid.

Samu was right, though, had the Swiss brought a team (with Küng, Bissegger, Reusser etc. :eek:) they would probably have won this. The Italians had more of an incentive as a home team I think.

One problem was many of the favourites saving themselves for the itt or road race or not being there, there were quite a few "lesser" riders starting and then some real greats.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah they could run the mens and the womens TTT at the same time.
Time would still count for the 1st two men and 1st two women.
To start with they could all ride as a block until the inevitable occurs.
Later -any one who peals off early from a front group
could help out the 'weaker gender' when they fall back .

There are maybe three women who could keep up, the others just can't do those times.

Guazzini only rode 9-10 seconds faster than Ivanchenko did yesterday, though I don't know if the wind conditions were fully comparable. Niedermayer's time would also have been good enough for bronze.

Reusser continues her magnificent season. Now the question is if we'll get to see the jersey next year, or if she can manage to come out on top in Brügge as well.

Guazzini only rode 9-10 seconds faster than Ivanchenko did yesterday, though I don't know if the wind conditions were fully comparable. Niedermayer's time would also have been good enough for bronze.

Reusser continues her magnificent season. Now the question is if we'll get to see the jersey next year, or if she can manage to come out on top in Brügge as well.

In Brügge? Leuven? Or is the time trial in Brügge?

Also worth noticing is that Norsgaard would have won silver, if she had ridden the in the U23 rank instead.

Wærenskjold, Price-Pejtersen, Van Dijke, Hessmann and Baroncini look like the favourites for the medals in the men's U23 race.
I don't see Baroncini winning, he'll probably finish somewhere between 3rd and 5h. He recently really surprised me by finishing 8th on the Piancavallo MTF in the Giro del Friuli. Yes, the field wasn't that great, but I've never seen him do so well on such a hard climb. The guy can TT, has a decent sprint and can get over shorter climbs and tempogrinders pretty well, he seems to be a pretty complete cyclist.

About the Men's elite ITT, It's mainly gonna be Italy vs Switzerland vs Asgreen. I don't expect that much from Pogi and Remco recently had some health related problems. Curious to see what Rafael Reis can do against this kind of cometition, he almost beat Asgreen in that TT in Algarve.

I don't see Baroncini winning, he'll probably finish somewhere between 3rd and 5h. He recently really surprised me by finishing 8th on the Piancavallo MTF in the Giro del Friuli. Yes, the field wasn't that great, but I've never seen him do so well on such a hard climb. The guy can TT, has a decent sprint and can get over shorter climbs and tempogrinders pretty well, he seems to be a pretty complete cyclist.

About the Men's elite ITT, It's mainly gonna be Italy vs Switzerland vs Asgreen. I don't expect that much from Pogi and Remco recently had some health related problems. Curious to see what Rafael Reis can do against this kind of cometition, he almost beat Asgreen in that TT in Algarve.
Ganna vs Bisegger for me.

Reactions: glassmoon

We don't have that many 20+ km TTs to look at from U23 races, and Baroncini did win the one in the Giro this year, but if he has lsot weight/changed hsi training to improve his climbing then you might be right about his chances today. Ballerstedt, Maciejuk, Hoole, maybe Ayuso and Van Eetvelt are other riders who can challenge for 5-10th place.

One should never underestimate Remco though, but of course his form is questionable. Ganna did use at least some energy which might give him a small disadvantage, but just like Red Rick, I still see him as the biggest favourite together with Bissegger.

We don't have that many 20+ km TTs to look at from U23 races, and Baroncini did win the one in the Giro this year, but if he has lsot weight/changed hsi training to improve his climbing then you might be right about his chances today. Ballerstedt, Maciejuk, Hoole, maybe Ayuso and Van Eetvelt are other riders who can challenge for 5-10th place.

One should never underestimate Remco though, but of course his form is questionable. Ganna did use at least some energy which might give him a small disadvantage, but just like Red Rick, I still see him as the biggest favourite together with Bissegger.
I don't know if Baroncini lost weight to improve his climbing or if it's just the fact that he got a chance to ride for himself. In the u23 Giro he did lots of work for Ayuso and Verre.
Price-Pejtersen smashed it, 52.5km/h average at the finish. Ayuso 4th at the first time check, but already 47sec behind. At the finish Raul Garcia is 2nd, 44sec behind Price.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Raúl García only lost 3 seconds to P-P from the intermediate to the finish, so that could still be good enough to get a medal.
Everyone else lost more than seconds on the first part. Lev Gonov, who just like Ivanchenko is fairly unknown outside the track, has also done well to get provisional second.