• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 World Championships in Flanders: Road Races

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In my eyes Cosnefroy in the form he showed a few times and might now still be in, has as good a chance to win a sprint as Colbrelli - only I think Colbrelli has better chances to be there after a long, hard race, but when it comes to that sprint, I don't think Colbrelli has the edge. The French also have Démare. With Alaphilippe not sprinting well recently I think they should not put all hopes on him and honestly the way the team looks I suppose they won't (I believe Démare, Cosnefroy, Laporte and also Sénéchal are not there as big work-horses, and Turgis has an outsider chance of his own.)
About Slovenia I agree, they should try with attacks.
If Demare is still there in the final then it will have been 99% certain that it was a terrible race that completely failed to live up to our pre-race hopes and expectations.

Sep 15, 2021
Visit site
Hey Guys, is there someone going to watch the race in person ? I will be there flying from Austria, I'm not sure, where is the best place to be, as I see Leuven makes sense, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Hey Guys, is there someone going to watch the race in person ? I will be there flying from Austria, I'm not sure, where is the best place to be, as I see Leuven makes sense, but I'm not sure.
I'm going to Leuven, probably around the Decouxlaan because got a friend living nearby. I'd say Leuven is the best place to watch. I'm expecting the area around St Antoniusberg to be the busiest since it's very close to the Oude Markt.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
A bit funny that you don't include Asgreen in the guys that can win a reduced bunch sprint, but do include a non 100% fit MvdP.
I remember Asgreen outsprinting a 100% fit MvdP after a tough race, not so long ago ;-)

In a sprint of 2 or 3 rides he has a (small) chance. Don't forget that in MVP's mind, in the RVV, the chasing WVA was the danger and not Asgreen that (on paper at least) was suposed to be slower on the line then MVP.

If Asgreen wants to be world champion he has to get in a break away without MVP, WVA or Colbrelli and that, I think we can al agree, will be very hard for any leader.

As a guy who spent half his university life in Leuven, I can asure you it is defenitly the place to be.

Aside from the fact Leuven has the biggest ratio bars-to-inhabitents, the fact the local lap and the finish is in Leuven, that asures the most ambiance.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
In a sprint of 2 or 3 rides he has a (small) chance. Don't forget that in MVP's mind, in the RVV, the chasing WVA was the danger and not Asgreen that (on paper at least) was suposed to be slower on the line then MVP.

If Asgreen wants to be world champion he has to get in a break away without MVP, WVA or Colbrelli and that, I think we can al agree, will be very hard for any leader.

Yeah except that Asgreen wasn't slower at all. And it's not as if Asgreen didn't do any work in the end, quite the opposite actually. He looked foolish to do so much work ... until he won.
Even in a small group after a hard race I would not be so sure to beat Asgreen in a sprint anymore. Not even if I were MVP, WVA or Colbrelli. The key being after a hard race.

Yeah except that Asgreen wasn't slower at all. And it's not as if Asgreen didn't do any work in the end, quite the opposite actually. He looked foolish to do so much work ... until he won.
Even in a small group after a hard race I would not be so sure to beat Asgreen in a sprint anymore. Not even if I were MVP, WVA or Colbrelli. The key being after a hard race.
mvdp was totally spent that day, he had attacked for the entire race, asgreen was just following. Now of course this scenario could play out again, but asgreen looks to not be as strong as last year and the stars really have to align for him to win. Just as it is very difficult for Evenepoel to win, because either of them just don't have that final kick to win a reduced sprint.

Reactions: Open Horizon
mvdp was totally spent that day, he had attacked for the entire race, asgreen was just following. Now of course this scenario could play out again, but asgreen looks to not be as strong as last year and the stars really have to align for him to win. Just as it is very difficult for Evenepoel to win, because either of them just don't have that final kick to win a reduced sprint.

Asgreen just following? You must have seen a different race than me.

Van Aert, MVDP, Alaphillipe, Peterson, Sagan, have all shown (although for some quite a while ago) they can handle and perform well on 260+km + hilly courses. In addition to Remco, are their other 1st or 2nd tier favs who haven’t ever shown that strength (whether because they haven’t had the opportunity or haven’t handled it well)?

Note: I’m not counting success at Milan-San Remo as evidence they can handle it.

I think almost everybody expects a strong Danish team. Belgium with van Aert is the team to beat, but the Danes should be right behind them.

I think Hirschi could be a strong contender. He is coming into form at the right time and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes World Champion.

Hm, he's sure getting a lot better... but honestly I would be quite surprised if he did. I also don't know whether the cobbles really suit him best.

How long is Ganna gonna combine road and track? He doesn't have anything to prove on track anymore and I want that road potential unleashed.

Ok maybe the IP record
I guess he wants the IP record and maybe the hour record. But yeah, I'm with you, at this point he should go all in for road cycling, maybe he can pull a Viviani if it's an olympic year.
I don't think it's a coincidence that we saw him dominate last year when he didn't do any track cycling post-lockdown.

Reactions: Red Rick

TRENDING THREADS