• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 17: Ponte di Legno – Lavarone 168 km (Wednesday, May 25th)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This really is the stupidest bonus structure in sport. Who ever thought there was ustice in making the difference between 3rd and 4th greater than that between 2nd and third? Where did it come from? When? And why has it been allowed to continue?
I think it used to be 20-12-8 and at some point they just cut it in half.

But there's the same problem with those original numbers, of course ;)

Reactions: Sandisfan
wouldn’t be better for the race if they can’t drop
Almeida? Or do you wish to see Almeida out of contention?

Concerning my prediction on this stage, break won’t succeed and as everyone is waiting for some kind of move from Bora or Bahrain I expect a aggressive move from Carapaz just after they start the final climb to Monterovere, which will be followed by the GC guys that will fight untill the finish line all together with no significant time gaps. Won’t be surprised if we saw Almeida Yo-yoing at some point and still be able to stick with them just to finish out sprinting them at the finish.

I am talking from the riders point of view ie Bahrain in this instance
Maybe you dont undestand how one posts comments
If I say they need to drop Almeida then I want Almeida out of contention ?
Jeez I give up

• Wow
This really is the stupidest bonus structure in sport. Who ever thought there was ustice in making the difference between 3rd and 4th greater than that between 2nd and third? Where did it come from? When? And why has it been allowed to continue?

Not as stupid as the Olympic medal tally, which puts a country with one gold medal ahead of one without gold, even if they've won ten silver and ten bronze.

I dont think its that weird. Usually in sport the difference in perception between place two and three is not that big, while the difference between 3 and 4 could be heartbreaking.

Raining at the start
Clipboard.jpg

I dont think its that weird. Usually in sport the difference in perception between place two and three is not that big, while the difference between 3 and 4 could be heartbreaking.
It reflects well that the step from 4th to the podium is more appreciated than the step from one lower podium spot to another.
But there is no meaningful podium for 2nd and 3rd in a stage. When have you ever seen the top three on a stage presented to the crowd in a major race?

Besides, we are talking about the effort deserving of a bonus in the overall, not the level of pubic perception of a placing.

They should just simply not hand out any bronze or silver medals. Likewise, I would prefer if only the winner stood on the podium after a bike race.
A fan of stage podium arrangements...

TRENDING THREADS