• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? First rest day poll.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2022 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't get why so many voters seem to have changed their opinion based on the time trial. Of course, Yates was great and it was indeed surprising, but that does not take away any of the doubt with respect to his performance over three weeks. Yates didn't even manage to win the Vuelta a Asturias one week ago because he had an off-day.

And this could also be the case of someone overperforming in the time trial, just to underperform at his usual specialty in the mountains.

I didn't see anything in the first 3 stages to make me change my Carapaz prediction. Yates is being Yates, too hard to tell from a short TT...

In fact nothing really surprised me, although I might think that Dumo is in better shape, both physically and mentally, so he might make a podium run. Like a lot of people, I think the 2016-18 version of Dumolin would be a co-favorite here.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't get why so many voters seem to have changed their opinion based on the time trial. Of course, Yates was great and it was indeed surprising, but that does not take away any of the doubt with respect to his performance over three weeks. Yates didn't even manage to win the Vuelta a Asturias one week ago because he had an off-day.

And this could also be the case of someone overperforming in the time trial, just to underperform at his usual specialty in the mountains.

Was about to post something similar, Yates being the strongest on Saturday does not change the odds of him having on off day in week 3. Still Carapaz for me.

MVDP reading the poll results

FSUbS_dX0AA4Ugv

Was about to post something similar, Yates being the strongest on Saturday does not change the odds of him having on off day in week 3. Still Carapaz for me.
What if you already expected Yates to be strong but are now convinced that he will be very hard to drop by his competitors. Of course the Time Trial result can change the opinion people have on Yates.

It just shouldn’t change your opinion if you were convinced that he would have an off day in third week.

What if you already expected Yates to be strong but are now convinced that he will be very hard to drop by his competitors. Of course the Time Trial result can change the opinion people have on Yates.

It just shouldn’t change your opinion if you were convinced that he would have an off day in third week.

But it shouldn’t. Yates has done well before in time trials. That doesn’t really matter when it comes to climbing and doing well each day over 3 weeks. He might win the Giro. But imo it won’t be because he was stronger here than some expected. It will be from an overall consistent performance.

Reactions: Ranagazoo
If you put money regularly on Landa to win grand tours you would be shirtless by now. Often now grand tours become a match race.. This one looks like Yates v Carapaz. Would like to see Bardet find some of his 2016/17 form to make it more interesting. Be also good to see Hindley and Dumoulin find some climbing form. Nibali is a top 10 rider now, Kelderman a habitual top five chance. Maybe Almeida can also add something to the mix. Top five should be well contested.

Carapaz is obviously the overwhelming favourite now but to pick a dark horse I would suggest Almeida after today. He would smash Carapaz in the TT if he is still in contention by then. But a long way to go for him to stay in contention.
Agree that he is favourite but I wouldn't say overwhelming not based on what has happened so far. The real race is in the third week with so much climbing yet to come. The advantage for Carapaz is that his rivals are not known for their consistency. No Roglic and Pog and Yates now out of the picture and Carapaz is usually pretty solid in the third week of GTs. One thing that did surprise me was to see Nibali, Pozo and Valverde last for so long. based on that some may think that Carapaz may not be in his best form or you could see it as some veterans performing better than expected.

Reactions: Cookster15

TRENDING THREADS