• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders 2022 Sprinters Thread

To continue the thread topic that @Zinoviev Letter started last year, this is the 2022 Sprinters thread. This is a thread where we can discuss the sprinters and their success or lack there of this year without flooding other threads while comparing them against the other, as we all know sprinters are the best riders. ;)

To the best of my knowledge, I believe this is how the previous year finished:
Rider Wins (WT)
Cavendish 9(4)
Merlier 9(4)
Philipsen 8(2)
Bennett 7(4)
Demare 7(0)
Viviani 7(0)
Ewan 6(4)
Van Aert 6(4)
Jakobsen 6(3)
Ackermann 6(0)
Bauhaus 6(0)
Sagan 3(3)
Van der Poel 3(3)
Ballerini 3(1)
Groenewegen 3(0)
Hayter 3(0)
Hodeg 3(0)
Laporte 3(0)
Pedersen 3(0)
Colbrelli 2(2)
Nizzolo 2(1)
Cort 2(0)
Greipel 2(0)
Kristoff 2(0)
Laas 2(0)
Arndt 1(1)
Bol 1(1)
Gaviria 1(1)
Dupont 1(0)
Einhorn 1(0)
Modolo 1(0)
Molano 1(0)
Paret-Peintre 1(0)
Steimle 1(0)
Tesson 1(0)
Van Poppel 1(0)
Walls 1(0)

We finished the year with 2 sprinters sitting at 9 wins and no one breaking 10. Could this be the year they get back on track? The same rules as last year for counting a sprint win.
The count is of wins in finishes that could reasonably be considered bunch sprints, including reduced bunch sprints. Other wins by sprinters don’t count. In general if there’s some doubt about whether it should count, it will get the benefit of the doubt.

This year I believe Jakobsen and Merlier will finish with the most sprint wins and World Tour wins. I also think Cavendish and Demare have a sneaky great win or two in them this year while Ewan and Bennett finish third and fourth in wins. If you want you can predict on who you think will have the most wins or the total of a specific rider. I think Jakobsen and Merlier both finish with 11 and Jakobsen having 4 WT wins while Merlier has 5.

Girmay had the first sprint win of the year so congratulations for him.
Philipsen was the first sprinter to win at the World Tour level and he did it in his first race and sprint.
Jakobsen was the first sprinter to 5 wins.
Cavendish was the first sprinter to win a GT stage.
Jakobsen was the first sprinter to double digits.

As of September 11th, 2022 these are the standings.
Rider Wins (WT)
Jakobsen 13(2)
Philipsen 9(4)
Demare 7(4)
Ewan 7(1)
Groenewegen 7(1)
Kooij 7(1)
De Lie 6(0)
Pederson 5(3)
Cavendish 4(2)
Merlier 4(2)
Sarreau 4(0)
Bennett 3(3)
Groves 3(2)
Kristoff 3(0)
Mareczko 3(0)
Saleh 3(0)
Tesson 3(0)
Bauhaus 2(2)
Van Aert 2(2)
Ackermann 2(1)
Hayter 2(1)
Thijssen 2(1)
Capiot 2(0)
Carstensen 2(0)
Coquard 2(0)
Gaviria 2(0)
Malucelli 2(0)
Matias 2(0)
Mcgill 2(0)
Milan 2(0)
Moschetti 2(0)
Simon 2(0)
Viviani 2(0)
Zingle 2(0)
Dianese 1(1)
Impey 1(1)
Matthews 1(1)
Molano 1(1)
Sagan 1(1)
Vernon 1(1)
Albanese 1(0)
Aranburu 1(0)
Babor 1(0)
Banaszek 1(0)
Ballerini 1(0)
Blikra 1(0)
Boguslawski 1(0)
Bol 1(0)
Bouhanni 1(0)
Consonni 1(0)
Cort 1(0)
Cortina 1(0)
De Kleijn 1(0)
Dujardin 1(0)
Dupont 1(0)
Fiorelli 1(0)
Fortin 1(0)
Gates 1(0)
Gilbert 1(0)
Girmay 1(0)
Goeman 1(0)
Grosu 1(0)
Haller 1(0)
Kreder 1(0)
Langelloti 1(0)
Laurance 1(0)
Manzin 1(0)
Meeus 1(0)
Nizzolo 1(0)
Nyborg 1(0)
Perez 1(0)
Rajović 1(0)
Stewart 1(0)
Strong 1(0)
Syritsa 1(0)
Taminiaux 1(0)
Thijssen 1(0)
Toudal 1(0)
Trentin 1(0)
Van der Poel 1(0)
Vernon 1(0)
Walscheid 1(0)
Welsford 1(0)
Wiggins 1(0)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I believe Jakobsen will take the most sprint wins this year.

I wanted to say that De Lie will take more victories than his teammate Ewan, but seeing on his current race schedule that they are sending him to a billion classics, that'll be hard. Also doesn't look like the best choice to me.

Pedersen won from a 25-rider first echelon, doesn't really count imo, especially as it wasn't a flat sprint. Then again I don't think Coquard's does either, final 750 metres at above 10% is a puncheur finish to me and that's reflected by the gaps in the top-20.

The 2021 list is certainly incomplete by the way. Arne Marit, Milan Menten and Olav Kooij are among those missing, and Molano had two wins in Sicily alone.

Edit: also missing - Jordi Meeus and a host of smaller 2.1 races with no WT teams involved which are technically eligible.

Last edited:
Pedersen won from a 25-rider first echelon, doesn't really count imo, especially as it wasn't a flat sprint. Then again I don't think Coquard's does either, final 750 metres at above 10% is a puncheur finish to me and that's reflected by the gaps in the top-20.

The 2021 list is certainly incomplete by the way. Arne Marit, Milan Menten and Olav Kooij are among those missing, and Molano had two wins in Sicily alone.

Edit: also missing - Jordi Meeus and a host of smaller 2.1 races with no WT teams involved which are technically eligible.
I stopped updating the list in September then no one had mentioned them. I don’t know everyday when races are held.

But if we all work together than we can make sure nothing is missed. :)

A lot will depend on pecking order in teams and who gets the big races/cleans up in minor fields. Will depend a lot on how Quickstep and Alpecin Fenix divvy up the race schedule between their top sprinters as I think their guys plus Ewan and maybe Groenewegen are the fastest and most reliable at the moment.

8/9 days away from our first World Tour race of the year and seeing who the first sprinter to claim a WT win will be. As of now we have Groenewegen, Ewan, Bennett, Cavendish, and Philipsen as the main sprinters for 4 stages that can potentially end in a sprint. So far we have 6 new additions that weren’t there last year.

Who do you believe will claim the first WT victory?

Personally I believe Groenewegen will nab the first stage with all he, Ewan, Cav, and Bennett all winning a stage.

Last edited:
8/9 days away from our first World Tour race of the year and seeing who the first sprinter to claim a WT win will be. As of now we have Groenewegen, Cavendish, and Philipsen as the main sprinters for 4 stages that can potentially end in a sprint. So far we have 6 new additions that weren’t there last year.

Who do you believe will claim the first WT victory?

Personally I believe Groenewegen will nab the first stage with all 3 winning a stage and Groenewegen or Cav winning 2.
A bit surprised you didn't name Ewan and Bennett. I think Ewan will take it.

I think from what we have seen so far, Ewan and Jakobsen are the fastest, Cavendish maybe third. His win in Oman looked pretty sick but it wasn't the best of opposition, so difficult to assess. Gaviria was there of course but was standing completely still when he launched his "sprint". Groenewegen won more than Ewan in Saudi Tour but that was more luck than skill.

And then we have the new super-puncheur, Bryan Coquard.

TRENDING THREADS