• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders 2022 Sprinters Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He said before Paris-Nice that currently he's not in the San Remo lineup, but depending on this week it might change. Should Quickstep take him in his current form? I noticed that he gets over hills way better than in the past but is it enough for the way this monument has been ridden in the last few editions? Early in Jakobsens career he seemed like the second coming of Kittel and got dropped on the shortest of hills. This year he got over some humps and again, with his current run of form he might be another alternative for Quickstep?

He said before Paris-Nice that currently he's not in the San Remo lineup, but depending on this week it might change. Should Quickstep take him in his current form? I noticed that he gets over hills way better than in the past but is it enough for the way this monument has been ridden in the last few editions? Early in Jakobsens career he seemed like the second coming of Kittel and got dropped on the shortest of hills. This year he got over some humps and again, with his current run of form he might be another alternative for Quickstep?

I would take all of the captains if I was quickstep. Alaphilippe, Asgreen, Evenepoel and Jakobsen. You can play a big role in every scenario with those four guys.

I would take all of the captains if I was quickstep. Alaphilippe, Asgreen, Evenepoel and Jakobsen. You can play a big role in every scenario with those four guys.
No matter how dominant Jakobsen is in the sprint, and no matter how strong their other options are, if Quickstep are playing for a bunch sprint, they have to decide to do that too early in the race to not use one or two of those guys up on the front.

Reactions: Salvarani
No matter how dominant Jakobsen is in the sprint, and no matter how strong their other options are, if Quickstep are playing for a bunch sprint, they have to decide to do that too early in the race to not use one or two of those guys up on the front.

Nah. For me Jakobsen would not be plan A in any case given how San Remo has been ridden in recent years. Maybe only in case of a strong headwind in the finale on the poggio.

But his presence would be good for Alaphilippe and others. If you get Alaphilippe or Asgreen or Evenepoel over the top with the front group but you have Jakobsen sitting behind those guys have to work a bit less.

Given that after the poggio it is not that far anymore the advantage of this is not super big, but a small advantage might matter.

Of course if Laporte and Roglic just gocrazy all the way to the finish for Van Aert it won’t matter. ;)

I mean, we've acknowledged the QS effect for years, but I find it interesting that a rider is talking about it. No surprise it's Sam though. He's always struck me as a level-headed, honest guy in interviews.

"They were definitely good years,"

"But I wasn't as good as I could have been. I benefited from the 'QuickStep effect'. The team is so strong, and when I won the green jersey they really pulled me through the Tour de France."

Merlier joins Philipsen as the second sprinter to win 2 WT sprints showing up Quickstep with Jakobsen and Cav.

I mean, we've acknowledged the QS effect for years, but I find it interesting that a rider is talking about it. No surprise it's Sam though. He's always struck me as a level-headed, honest guy in interviews.

"They were definitely good years,"

"But I wasn't as good as I could have been. I benefited from the 'QuickStep effect'. The team is so strong, and when I won the green jersey they really pulled me through the Tour de France."
Their support during all stages for their sprinters is really second to none, especially the mountains to help keep them more fresh.

Reactions: Sandisfan
With the first Grand Tour of the year starting, many are chopping their lips at the potential 6-8 stages the sprinters can win depending on how they’re ridden. Ewan and Cavendish look to win the most with the team geared towards them though Ewan will most likely withdrawal in order to prepare for the Tour while Cav stays to the end. Demare also has a team dedicated to him but will be fighting a losing badly to Ewan and Cavendish unless luck goes his way. MVDP has the legs to shake up the flat stages while Gaviria has his faithful leadout man along with Girmay can steal a stage or two.

And with the end of the Tour Philipsen shows he was the strongest sprinter winning two stages and finishing highly in the other sprints. Groenewegen and Jakobsen both finished with one but had ample opportunity to add it their tally. WVA and Matthews decided they wanted to win in other ways and let the sprinters compete while Ewan underperformed.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sprinters like Fabio and Dylan are so uninteresting to me. Jasper Phillipsen on the other hand has the stamina and psychical ability to get across hills and do well after some real racing, which is why Im very happy about this win.
Yeah I’ve been growing more and more fond of Jasper since last years Tour. I wonder if he’ll go to the Vuelta or AF will support Merlier.

Reactions: Jumbo Visma Fan :)

TRENDING THREADS