• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2022 Tour de France Start List

With a lot of riders testing positive for covid I wanted to open a discussion for new possibilities for teams and at the same time potential changes from the UCI/ASO to the way they approach the race. For example, would they accept more replacement riders?

Some teams could be thinking about changes based on who tested positive recently. Maybe some have gotten sick and lost some form. Or maybe some didn't get sick and for sure won't test positive for the Tour as assurance!

For the time being this is the list that I have:

Startlist
**Bold: Confirmed riders

Surprises so far:

- I heard on different podcasts that Lopez is in for the Tour de France, regardless of the lack of competition. Now I see him on the start list.

Maybe we get more speculations and surprises from other forum members.

Please pitch in.

Last edited:
For EF, I wouldn't be sure about Padun riding, was at the back of every Dauphine stage and DNSed stage 2 Occitanie. Unsure what the deal is as I couldn't find any information but Powless has been excellent recently so can see him starting instead.

Simon Yates is tentative, BEX said last week his injury wasn't quick to heal so he may not be fit in time.

Reactions: Roku and Sandisfan
bwin sport bets:

Tadej Pogacar1,75
Jonas Vingegaard4,75
Primoz Roglic4,75
Geraint Thomas17
Alexander Vlasov17
Daniel Martinez19
Adam Yates34
Enric Mas Nicolau34
Jakob Fuglsang34
Mikel Landa67

Yeah, Pogacar is the overwhelming bookies favourite. Even less than 1.75 in most cases:

For comparison, last year he was ahead of Roglic but not by much.
It's tempting to put some money on Primoz (assuming that he'll be the preferred JV option ahead of Vinge).

Top 6 seems a good approach. I think O'Connor, Haig and Caruso should be in the 34 region while removing Fuglsang and Landa altogether

I would put O'Connor in a tier with Martinez, Vlasov and Thomas, maybe slightly behind them. The guy is a solid candidate for the 4th place (or higher in case something happens to one of the Big3).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah, Pogacar is the overwhelming bookies favourite. Even less than 1.75 in most cases:

For comparison, last year he was ahead of Roglic but not by much.
It's tempting to put some money on Primoz (assuming that he'll be the preferred JV option ahead of Vinge).

Primoz Roglic is going to win the Tour de France 2022.

I don't know how but I sense he's so underrated right now, he's exactly where he wants to be. A bit like before the Olympics ITT last year. I was reading various social media sites/forums & the consensus that Vingegaard is stronger than Rog is so tainted by recency bias, it's unreal.

I mean we're talking about Primoz freaking Roglic here. IMO Rog's biggest enemies are lady luck (crashes, mechanicals, covid etc.) & his own team's tactics. If nothing bad happens to him & Zeeman & co don't screw him over, I believe he'll do it. Yep, even against this Pogacar who looks like Godzilla on a bike.

It's my opinion as a follower of Roglic's career over the past 5 years that Rog & his team have looked at how Pog peaks at the right time (Lombardia last autumn being a perfect example, i.e. after Rog won Emilia & Turin earlier that week) & they've applied the same mentality with regards to the TdF 2022, so I tend to presume Roglic has aimed his peak right for when the TdF gets serious.

I think he won Paris-Nice & the Dauphiné far, far from being 100%.

TRENDING THREADS