• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2022 Tour of Norway, 2.Pro - 24th to 29th May

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2022 Tour of Norway?

• Remco Evenepoel

Votes: 41 70.7%
  • Tobias Halland Johannesen

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Carl Fredrik Hagen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tao Geoghen Hart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ethan Hayter

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Esteban Chaves

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Gianluca Brambilla

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Cian Uitjdebroeks

• Other rider

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hard to judge from this camera angle how much space there was between Evenepoel and Plapp when the latter sat up but unless Evenepoel moved significantly back to the middle of the road after that there will have been enough, and even if there wasn't I think it's fair to cut the rider a little slack in a sprint through a curve so long as they don't push someone into the barriers or something like that. In any case, difficult to justify a relegation based on these images, especially given what Bouwman got away with yesterday. Much more interesting that Evenepoel won the sprint to begin with, yes the corner helped but you still need decent acceleration to be the first one into it.

Last edited:
None needed, there’s nothing to see. Completely normal sprint. Someone threw up their arms so those looking for a problem react as if they’ve never been in a bike race.

You don’t win a sprint coming the long war around a guy in front of you accelerating out of a corner. Just physics. His line was completely fine.
Yep, that was not the least bit contentious. Plapp was simply not going to overtake him. Evenepoel also had another rider on his left, and he rode a reasonably straight line. Nothing to see here!

IMO he did exactly what he should have and pinched the guy trying to come around him wide. Left enough room the it was safe and took a line from which he didn’t deviate. Definitely an aggressive line and definitely the right move. All within the rules. IMO showed a more mature but still aggressive racing style.

I would only take Remco to the tour if I were QS if he has a very strong TDS.

If he's winning in the mountains and TTs there, then he should go to the tour
It seems his team wants him to get a solid three week performance in at the Vuelta first, before tackling the Tour next your. But what does a solid Vuelta performance mean? Winning it, getting on the podium, top 10? If he's got the form after ToS, then the Tour route with more tting and steadier climbs in theory is better for him. Plus beyond the Slovenians, who are the really strong GC favorites? Martinez, Vingegaard, Adam Yates, Thomas, Ben O'Connor, Martin, right? Not to take anything away from the contenders, but given Evenepoel's latest results and his much, much better preparation this year, his team should have confidence in him doing well in France against them. So again, if he is really good in Switzerland, I see no reason why his team should fear taking on the Tour now would be too much. Hell, it might even be a lost opportunity. And if he were to actually to do quite well in France, his career will be back on track after being derailed at Lombardia in 2020 even more than doing well in the Vuelta.

It seems his team wants him to get a solid three week performance in at the Vuelta first, before tackling the Tour next your. But what does a solid Vuelta performance mean? Winning it, getting on the podium, top 10? If he's got the form after ToS, then the Tour route with more tting and steadier climbs in theory is better for him. Plus beyond the Slovenians, who are the really strong GC favorites? Martinez, Vingegaard, Adam Yates, Thomas, Ben O'Connor, Martin, right? Not to take anything away from the contenders, but given Evenepoel's latest results and his much, much better preparation this year, his team should have confidence in him doing well in France against them. So again, if he is really good in Switzerland, I see no reason why his team should fear taking on the Tour now would be too much. Hell, it might even be a lost opportunity. And if he were to actually to do quite well in France, his career will be back on track after being derailed at Lombardia in 2020 even more than doing well in the Vuelta.
Vlasov will be an obvious podium contender and you also missed out Haig and Mas but I do think Remco has much higher potential than all of those mentioned.

When I asked what people expected before his season began, I think most had him as a podium contender in the Vuelta.

If he is not affected by bad luck, 6th or lower would be disappointing. 3rd is a solid result in itself, but for what it means for next year it depends on how well he climbs there.

TRENDING THREADS