• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022 Vuelta a España stage 7(Carmago-Cisterna), 190km medium mountain

cf24c

866b2

7167b

A likely break day, who will get in the move, the only hope of the peloton pulling this back is from Trek for Mads Pedersen.

Ari

Aug 25, 2022
Visit site
Curious to see QS capacity to.control mountain stages from now on. Remco cant attack 10km to go on every stages..
Masnada and Van Wilder seems to be a little short to answer GC attacks.

Scenery-wise this is the best stage of the race. Not only is it the one closest to the Picos de Europa, we also get the La Hermida gorge in full for the first time.

As for the stage, I really wish there were more teams that had an incentive to try and keep this together because it would open up so many options. As it stands, probably a fairly standard breakaway day, although they will start attacking each other early given the profile...

Reactions: red_flanders
I also guess it's one for the break, but when they did this climb last time (different stage design with the La Camperona MTF later on, but still) a total of 4 riders were dropped from the peloton. I would't completely rule out a biggish sprint

I also guess it's one for the break, but when they did this climb last time (different stage design with the La Camperona MTF later on, but still) a total of 4 riders were dropped from the peloton. I would't completely rule out a biggish sprint
It will depend on the strenght of the breakaway. If there are only three riders then it could indeed end in a bigger sprint in the end.
But I think there are too few teams who have an interest in a mass sprint today, so I assume a big and strong breakaway will do it...

Trek have to try to keep the break under control. BORA won't allow Pedersen to join the break, so they need to advantage on days that are too hard for Bennett. But it might not be easy for them, if no other teams are interested in helping them.
yeah, Trek also can't go too fast on the climb as they would lack domestiques for the final part then. Hard to keep things together for the final 60k when they'd only have Junape and Elissonde left.

I can see them giving it a try if the breakaway isn't too large, but will be difficult to balance this right.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Trek have to try to keep the break under control. BORA won't allow Pedersen to join the break, so they need to advantage on days that are too hard for Bennett. But it might not be easy for them, if no other teams are interested in helping them.
The green yersey could really become an important factor for this stage.

During the last years often Roglic or a Puncheur like Valverde won the green jersey. Only last year a sprinter (Jakobsen) has won the jersey. Because this year it seems that Roglic will not win that many stages and Evenepoel will not score that many points on puncheur finishes, there is a really good chance for Bennett and Pedersen to win this jersey.

Bennett has the problem, that the team also have 3 guys in contention for the GC, so on paper Pedersen has better support.

During the last years often Roglic or a Puncheur like Valverde won the green jersey. Only last year a sprinter (Jakobsen) has won the jersey. Because this year it seems that Roglic will not win that many stages and Evenepoel will not score that many points on puncheur finishes, there is a really good chance for Bennett and Pedersen to win this jersey.

Bennett has the problem, that the team also have 3 guys in contention for the GC, so on paper Pedersen has better support.

BORA have already made it clear on previous stages that the jersey is a goal for them, and that they are marking Pedersen closely. But if he ends up getting into a decent sized break with a BORA rider in his wheel, they might not want to use the rest of the team to hunt it down with two mountain stages to come.

That is because ASO now uses the TDF method of green jersey points at La Vuelta

I once did the Puerto de San Glorio. I remember the landscape coming into Riano... It was just perfect in a sense that Spain has so many hidden corners with beautiful landscapes.
Normally, the weather at the other side of the Puerto should be better (less influenced by the Atlantic), so I'm looking forward to nice landscapes!

TRENDING THREADS