• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2023 Giro CQ Game

As the Spring Classics game approaches its denoument (a probably anti-climactic finale in Frankfurt on Monday), we begin our GC season with the 2023 Giro CQ Game.
If you have played before, what you need to know is 8 men per team, 3500 point budget on CQ prices for year to 30th April (assuming that is when CQ update runs up to: confirmation of prices on Monday afternoon/evening), to me by PM before the first rider starting at, I think 1:50 Italian time on Saturday.

If you are not sure what all that means, then:
Cqranking.com allocates points to riders in all n.1 and higher races throughout the season, and keeps tallies for both the current year and (more relevant for our purposes here), the last 12 months. This game uses points each rider has in their last 12 months as their price, and the points they gain on that site's scale of points as their score. You will pick 8 riders who are to take part in the Giro as your team, with a maximum total cost of 3500 CQ points. The relevant price for each rider is his points for the year to 30th April, and the definitive record of that is a spreadsheet released by CQ on (I hope) Monday afternoon.
But you do not have to search for that: I have a spreadsheet on Google Docs that does lots of the work for you:
  • Relevant price for each rider (from Monday)
  • Updated startlist predictions as often as I can
  • Shows version of each name that I would prefer you to use
  • Does the adding up for you to make sure that you are in budget
  • Shows the scale of points given for GC, stages and the purple and blue jersey competitions.
    All that's left for you to do is have the knowledge, skill and luck to pick a good team, and to remember to send it in.
In case of a non-starter, team over budget or naming the same rider twice (it has happened), I shall endeavour to let you know, but if we reach the start in that situation I will substitute in the next most expensive rider available. If we have 2 identical teams I'll ask the managers to select a 9th rider at a cost of less than 100 points, to serve only as a tiebreaker. In the game any ties will be resolved in favour of the team whose top non-shared scorer has fewest points (i.e. I favour teams that have a more even distribution of points among their riders).

No restrictions of how many riders of any age group team or type you can have, no captains with double points or rewards for teammates of stage winners, no adjusting your team stage by stage according to the parcours: this game is simple (and my spreadsheet skills are limited). Wave your 8 men off in Fossacesia, and hope thay arrive victorious in Rome 22 days later.

There is a minor classification based on stage points only. Depending on real life, I aim to put up an update every day. The game finishes with the event, so there are no reviews of the results in the light of subsequent disqualifications (but I might post them for interest's sake)

Send your team to me by PM (hover over my name in the column at the right, and click 'Stark Conversation') on this site before the first rider starts his time trial next Saturday. (If you are newly active on this site that might not be open to you: The best bet might be to post a message in this thread with the names hidden behind a spoiler, and delete it as soon as you can after I acknowledge receipt)
Please try to send the names in the version that CQ uses, and it also makes my task easier if there is no other info on the same line as the name of each rider. If I have not confirmed receipt within 24 hours, best to try again.

Buona fortuna, grazie per il tuo interesse e goditi il gioco.

Last edited:
As the Spring Classics game approaches its denoument (a probably anti-climactic finale in Frankfurt on Monday), we begin our GC season with the 2023 Giro CQ Game.
If you have played before, what you need to know is 8 men per team, 3500 point budget on CQ prices for year to 30th April (assuming that is when CQ update runs up to: confirmation of prices on Monday afternoon/evening), to me by PM before the first rider starting at, I think 1:50 Italian time on Saturday.

If you are not sure what all that means, then:
Cqranking.com allocates points to riders in all n.1 and higher races throughout the season, and keeps tallies for both the current year and (more relevant for our purposes here), the last 12 months. This game uses points each rider has in their last 12 months as their price, and the points they gain on that site's scale of points as their score. You will pick 8 riders who are to take part in the Giro as your team, with a maximum total cost of 3500 CQ points. The relevant price for each rider is his points for the year to 30th April, and the definitive record of that is a spreadsheet released by CQ on (I hope) Monday afternoon.
But you do not have to search for that: I have a spreadsheet on Google Docs that does lots of the work for you:
  • Relevant price for each rider (from Monday)
  • Updated startlist predictions as often as I can
  • Shows version of each name that I would prefer you to use
  • Does the adding up for you to make sure that you are in budget
  • Shows the scale of points given for GC, stages and the purple and blue jersey competitions.
    All that's left for you to do is have the knowledge, skill and luck to pick a good team, and to remember to send it in.
In case of a non-starter, team over budget or naming the same rider twice (it has happened), I shall endeavour to let you know, but if we reach the start in that situation I will substitute in the next most expensive rider available. If we have 2 identical teams I'll ask the managers to select a 9th rider at a cost of less than 100 points, to serve only as a tiebreaker. In the game any ties will be resolved in favour of the team whose top non-shared scorer has fewest points (i.e. I favour teams that have a more even distribution of points among their riders).

No restrictions of how many riders of any age group team or type you can have, no captains with double points or rewards for teammates of stage winners, no adjusting your team stage by stage according to the parcours: this game is simple (and my spreadsheet skills are limited). Wave your 8 men off in Fossacesia, and hope thay arrive victorious in Rome 22 days later.

There is a minor classification based on stage points only. Depending on real life, I aim to put up an update every day. The game finishes with the event, so there are no reviews of the results in the light of subsequent disqualifications (but I might post them for interest's sake)

Send your team to me by PM (hover over my name in the column at the right, and click 'Stark Conversation') on this site before the first rider starts his time trial next Saturday. (If you are newly active on this site that might not be open to you: The best bet might be to post a message in this thread with the names hidden behind a spoiler, and delete it as soon as you can after I acknowledge receipt)
Please try to send the names in the version that CQ uses, and it also makes my task easier if there is no other info on the same line as the name of each rider. If I have not confirmed receipt within 24 hours, best to try again.

Buona fortuna, grazie per il tuo interesse e goditi il gioco.
Woohoo. Another chance to try and be a genius.

The official price list has been released, find it here or in the spreadsheet linked above. So officially open for entries. I will put my bunch together, and send it to the first manager to send a team in (now sent to Evans is the Best).

Ten of the twenty two teams have officially announced their line-up, but I will alert you if you pick someone currently shortlisted but who is subsequently omitted.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
Start list with cq values

Soudal - Quick StepAG2R Citroën Team
EVENEPOEL Remco
3182​
VENDRAME Andrea
280​
BALLERINI Davide
450​
CHEREL Mikael
105​
CATTANEO Mattia
125​
BAUDIN Alex
83​
CERNY Josef
223​
LAPEIRA Paul
66​
HIRT Jan
410​
PARET-PEINTRE Aurélien
294​
SERRY Pieter
73​
PARET-PEINTRE Valentin
35​
VAN WILDER Ilan
385​
PRODHOMME Nicolas
58​
VERVAEKE Louis
85​
WARBASSE Larry
30​
Alpecin-DeceuninckAstana Qazaqstan Team
OLDANI Stefano
331​
CAVENDISH Mark
452​
CONCI Nicola
291​
BATTISTELLA Samuele
403​
GROVES Kaden
490​
DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd
114​
KRIEGER Alexander
55​
MOSCON Gianni
46​
LEYSEN Senne
40​
PRONSKIY Vadim
163​
RIESEBEEK Oscar
262​
SANCHEZ GIL Luis Leon
312​
SBARAGLI Kristian
97​
SCARONI Christian
243​
SINKELDAM Ramon
115​
VELASCO Simone
241​
Bahrain - VictoriousBORA - hansgrohe
CARUSO Damiano
483​
VLASOV Aleksandr
664​
BUITRAGO SANCHEZ Santiago
717​
ALEOTTI Giovanni
360​
HAIG Jack
334​
BENEDETTI Cesare
56​
ARASHIRO Yukiya
82​
DENZ Nico
122​
PASQUALON Andrea
350​
JUNGELS Bob
438​
MILAN Jonathan
264​
KÄMNA Lennard
506​
SÜTTERLIN Jasha
45​
KONRAD Patrick
502​
ZAMBANINI Edoardo
202​
PALZER Anton
18​
CofidisEF Education-EasyPost
CONSONNI Simone
481​
CARTHY Hugh
628​
BIDARD François
25​
BETTIOL Alberto
572​
CIMOLAI Davide
70​
CAICEDO CEPEDA Jonathan Klever
134​
CHAMPION Thomas
30​
CORT NIELSEN Magnus
610​
DELETTRE Alexandre
45​
CEPEDA ORTIZ Jefferson Alexander
241​
LASTRA MARTINEZ Jonathan
266​
DE BOD Stefan
309​
ROCHAS Rémy
149​
HEALY Ben
789​
TOUMIRE Hugo
35​
URAN URAN Rigoberto
544​
EOLO-KometaGreen Project-Bardiani CSF-Faizanè
ALBANESE Vincenzo
452​
FIORELLI Filippo
288​
BAIS Davide
127​
COVILI Luca
209​
BAIS Mattia
45​
GABBURO Davide
204​
FETTER Erik
84​
MAGLI Filippo
60​
FORTUNATO Lorenzo
433​
MARCELLUSI Martin
48​
GAVAZZI Francesco
65​
MULUBRHAN Henok
310​
MAESTRI Mirco
128​
TONELLI Alessandro
151​
SEVILLA LOPEZ Diego Pablo
40​
ZOCCARATO Samuele
110​
1374​
1380​
Groupama - FDJINEOS Grenadiers
PINOT Thibaut
817​
GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
951​
ARMIRAIL Bruno
247​
ARENSMAN Thymen
777​
KÜNG Stefan
1120​
DE PLUS Laurens
94​
LIENHARD Fabian
95​
GANNA Filippo
1053​
MOLARD Rudy
454​
PUCCIO Salvatore
35​
STEWART Jake
391​
SIVAKOV Pavel
727​
KONOVALOVAS Ignatas
55​
SWIFT Ben
75​
VAN DEN BERG Lars
45​
THOMAS Geraint
883​
Intermarché - Circus - WantyIsrael - Premier Tech
ROTA Lorenzo
1010​
POZZOVIVO Domenico
496​
BYSTRØM Sven Erik
226​
BERWICK Sebastian
104​
BONIFAZIO Niccolo
140​
CLARKE Simon
425​
HUYS Laurens
114​
FRIGO Marco
33​
MARIT Arne
99​
GEE Derek
94​
PETILLI Simone
83​
RICCITELLO Matthew
100​
REX Laurenz
141​
WILLIAMS Stephen
111​
TAARAMÄE Rein
261​
WÜRTZ SCHMIDT Mads
70​
Jumbo-VismaMovistar Team
ROGLIC Primoz
1558​
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando
580​
AFFINI Edoardo
274​
BARTA William
188​
BOUWMAN Koen
398​
KANTER Max
335​
DENNIS Rohan
119​
ROJAS GIL Jose Joaquin
150​
HESSMANN Michel
104​
RUBIO REYES Einer Augusto
436​
KUSS Sepp
228​
RODRIGUEZ GARAICOECHEA Oscar
168​
TRATNIK Jan
254​
TORRES BARCELO Albert
45​
OOMEN Sam
224​
VERONA QUINTANILLA Carlos
324​
Team Arkéa SamsicTeam corratec – Selle Italia
BARGUIL Warren
445​
CONTI Valerio
36​
BOUET Maxime
40​
DALLA VALLE Nicolas
78​
DEKKER David
43​
GANDIN Stefano
40​
GUERNALEC Thibault
66​
IACCHI Alessandro
44​
RIES Michel
107​
KONYCHEV Alexander
23​
RIOU Alan
15​
QUARTERMAN Charlie
17​
RUSSO Clément
102​
STOJNIC Veljko
25​
VERRE Alessandro
57​
VACEK Karel
24​
Team DSMTeam Jayco AlUla
LEKNESSUND Andreas
448​
MATTHEWS Michael
983​
HVIDEBERG Jonas Iversby
26​
DE MARCHI Alessandro
161​
MÄRKL Niklas
28​
DUNBAR Eddie
248​
MAYRHOFER Marius
221​
HEPBURN Michael
88​
STORK Florian
20​
PÖSTLBERGER Lukas
62​
TUSVELD Martijn
105​
SCOTSON Callum
77​
DAINESE Alberto
353​
STEWART Campbell
35​
VANHOUCKE Harm
316​
ZANA Filippo
499​
Trek - SegafredoUAE Team Emirates
GEBREIGZABHIER Amanuel Werkilul
105​
ALMEIDA Joao Pedro Gonçalves
985​
HOOLE Daan
211​
ACKERMANN Pascal
350​
KIRSCH Alex
72​
COVI Alessandro
284​
MOLLEMA Bauke
666​
FORMOLO Davide
409​
PEDERSEN Mads
1616​
GIBBONS Ryan
87​
SKUJINS Toms
457​
MCNULTY Brandon
469​
TESFATSION Natnael Ocbit
425​
ULISSI Diego
717​
VERGAERDE Otto
41​
VINE Jay
880​

Last edited:
I have had to tell 3 teams that they need to change their selections (2 with Mader, one with Viviani) unless they are going to go with the default replacements.

That aside, all teams now seem to be confirmed, so what's keeping you? Teams in by the start on Saturday early afternoon.
Just waiting out the last minute covid drop outs. I have two options ready but I'll just wait one more day (please dont let me forget!)

29 teams so far, but two (Yellow Knight and Bicycle Boy)have just arrived and I have prioritised this message over checking them

On the other 27 teams, 63 different riders have been chosen, 27 as unique picks. 2 riders are on more than half the teams, and 2 more on more than 10.

Today was not the right day to throw a cup of tea across my laptop keyboard, thus making that unusable. My other computer is a chromebook, but Google sheets on that is hopeless, so for the moment I am an additional user on my wife's laptop, which doesn't have excel but works better with Google sheets. It has not been a stress-free evening.

And on that not, I must stress the urgency of the reminder for those who have not sent in their teams: Laurens Huys starts his ride at 1:50 Italian time (CET), and that is when I your entries should be here.

I don't have to pick 8 men, right? 6 are enough?
So long as you leave enough in your underspend to pay for the cheapest two riders on the startline, sure. I won't force you to take points from them if you don't want them.

Edit: since writing that, I have told a manager who sent in a 7 man team that I would have to replace his cheapest rider with two that he can afford both of. Ruthless, I am.

Last edited: