• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 5: Atripalda - Salerno 171 km (Wednesday, May 10th)

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Everyone here that is very harsh on Remco, I want to invite to my group ride.
When we do 45+ in the last few K of our group ride, I will cut you off, and when you crash, I will ofcourse stop, turn back and tell you it's your fault and you shouldn't whine.

Seriously, some of you seem to have never ridden a race / crashed due to careless swerving / cutting off in front of you. Because if so, you would have at least empathy for the crashed rider, and if it were you, you would be as upset as Remco. I mean, most here are already more upset about Remco being upset, than Remco himself being upset about someone cutting him off. I once broke my collarbone in a race when a rider thought it was a wise thing to go inside in a curve where there wasn't space, effectively cutting off several riders including myself. I never knew who it was as he didn't crash, but I had to undergo surgery and was absent for a month from work. That guy cost me a lot of money, my collarbone, my racing season and so much more (like doing fun things with my family as I wasn't able to do much, for some time), but life goes on and while I was angry just after the crash, I hardly remember being angry ever again. It's normal to be mad just after the crash. Riders are human beings with feelings etc.

I am a proud Remco fanboy, but first of all I am a fan of racing, no matter who is in the race.
I looked at it like most neutral bystanders, i.e. that Remco should be more careful and was in the wrong place while Kirsch was a bit reckless (so both to blame, but in the end, Remco's responsability, not being concentrated enough for riding where he rode).
But the flack Remco gets here is much worse than any 'fanboy's' comment. It's sometimes going towards hatred, and some here defending Remco are being ridiculed. Keep it civilised and balanced, I would say.
That's what happens when you achieve a lot of success in a short period of time, the target on his back gets bigger. He's not the first person to whine at the officials, Cancellara and Andy Schleck did it for years but as others have noted Remco only had himself to blame for at least one of his accidents.

Reactions: Carols
That's what happens when you achieve a lot of success in a short period of time, the target on his back gets bigger. He's not the first person to whine at the officials, Cancellara and Andy Schleck did it for years but as others have noted Remco only had himself to blame for at least one of his accidents.
People are way to rude lately.
Being a fanboy is one thing, but being an anti / hating / disliking rider X (preferably indeed a rider who achieved success) is .... pretty pathetic.

Reactions: jmdirt
Being a fanboy is one thing, but being an anti / hating / disliking rider X (preferably indeed a rider who achieved success) is .... pretty pathetic.
They/we are. But there's a reason for that. There are so many delusional Remco worshippers here that will argue absolutely anything he's involved in and trying to prove it's not his fault. Everything. And other people are tired of that so they start hating the cyclist himself, which is not very hard considering he's very good and likes to spread his opinions in many directions but himself.

Reactions: chickenlips
They/we are. But there's a reason for that. There are so many delusional Remco worshippers here that will argue absolutely anything he's involved in and trying to prove it's not his fault. Everything. And other people are tired of that so they start hating the cyclist himself, which is not very hard considering he's very good and likes to spread his opinions in many directions but himself.
It all sounds very mature.
Like I said before: one of the complaints is that Evenepoel behaves too much like a football player (diva, blaming others), but then the complainers themselves promote the good-bad way so typical for football fans. Meh.

Reactions: SafeBet
I reckon there is only one Remco worshipper in this thread who persists in defending. Just ignore him if you don't like what he writes, and move on, I would say.

When we do 45+ in the last few K of our group ride, I will cut you off, and when you crash, I will ofcourse stop, turn back and tell you it's your fault and you shouldn't whine.

Seriously, some of you seem to have never ridden a race / crashed due to careless swerving / cutting off in front of you. Because if so, you would have at least empathy for the crashed rider, and if it were you, you would be as upset as Remco. I mean, most here are already more upset about Remco being upset, than Remco himself being upset about someone cutting him off. I once broke my collarbone in a race when a rider thought it was a wise thing to go inside in a curve where there wasn't space, effectively cutting off several riders including myself. I never knew who it was as he didn't crash, but I had to undergo surgery and was absent for a month from work. That guy cost me a lot of money, my collarbone, my racing season and so much more (like doing fun things with my family as I wasn't able to do much, for some time), but life goes on and while I was angry just after the crash, I hardly remember being angry ever again. It's normal to be mad just after the crash. Riders are human beings with feelings etc.

I am a proud Remco fanboy, but first of all I am a fan of racing, no matter who is in the race.
I looked at it like most neutral bystanders, i.e. that Remco should be more careful and was in the wrong place while Kirsch was a bit reckless (so both to blame, but in the end, Remco's responsability, not being concentrated enough for riding where he rode).
But the flack Remco gets here is much worse than any 'fanboy's' comment. It's sometimes going towards hatred, and some here defending Remco are being ridiculed. Keep it civilised and balanced, I would say.
rude and bannable quote, admins pls take a note

• Wow
Reactions: jmdirt
Yes unfortunately its like that in most sports now especially the high profile ones where the athlete is so well known that they are celebrities as well as sportsmen. or women and they are judged on everything and every comment.

Reactions: jmdirt and Volderke
No one else would get an apology for that. My take is that the rider drifting back should always hold their line or move into space they know is clear. Drifting blind like that while looking the other way is low category amateur or junior stuff.
He got away from his line because Arkea asked him too. They jelled his name which is why he looked left. He made room for them so they could get David Dekker in a good position. At the same time Trek came with their guys from the right.

Today Remco also went to Trek to apologise. So it's basically just a cycling accident where no one specifically at fault.

He got away from his line because Arkea asked him too. They jelled his name which is why he looked left. He made room for them so they could get David Dekker in a good position. At the same time Trek came with their guys from the right.

Today Remco also went to Trek to apologise. So it's basically just a cycling accident where no one specifically at fault.
Remco moved out of the line and then continued to drift to the right instead of going in a straight line. It's always safer for the rider moving back to go straight so it's predictable for riders moving past.

I’m a Roglic fan, and I have to say I don’t enjoy this discussion about Remco’s crash and who’s at fault any more than I did the discussion about Roglic’s Vuelta crash. People make mistakes, people have bad luck, people crash, emotions get enflamed, they’re all on edge, not sure what all the fuss is about here.
I actually enjoy it, because the same people (specially one guy) who were attacking Roglič last year, are now defending Remco beyond any good taste.

The bold^^

It all sounds very mature.
Like I said before: one of the complaints is that Evenepoel behaves too much like a football player (diva, blaming others), but then the complainers themselves promote the good-bad way so typical for football fans. Meh.
According to Daniel Lloyd just now, Remco apologized to Kirsch this morning after seeing the replay. All seems quite normal to be initially passed, then own up to one’s mistake.

Reactions: RedheadDane

TRENDING THREADS