• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2024 Giro d'Italia pre-race poll: Best of the Rest?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish highest in GC in the 2024 Giro of the riders who are not Pogi?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes. When I started watching the race, riders like Simoni, Savoldelli, Cunego, Scarponi, Di Luca, Mazzoleni, Garzelli, Pellizotti, Sella etc. were still relevant and would always target the race at 100%. That was THE big objective every year. I don't even know what Italy has to offer anymore, but more or less since the early 10's, I feel like that has not been the case apart from Nibali and then a few decent riders here and there. The level is just too low and maybe some clinic stuff? I don't know, but you're completely right that you always had a chunk of very good Italian riders targetting the race. Very similar to the Vuelta in a around that time.

I do think that guy Tiberi might a rider to follow who will follow such a pattern of targetting the race over and over and being competitive. He seems talented enough along with maybe some of the other youngsters?
I feel like italian cycling has a recent habit of people who look good at 18-21, but go no further. I don't know if that's true, but I feel like there's quite a few u21 riders who win stuff at age group level but struggle to break past that

Yes. When I started watching the race, riders like Simoni, Savoldelli, Cunego, Scarponi, Di Luca, Mazzoleni, Garzelli, Pellizotti, Sella etc. were still relevant and would always target the race at 100%. That was THE big objective every year. I don't even know what Italy has to offer anymore, but more or less since the early 10's, I feel like that has not been the case apart from Nibali and then a few decent riders here and there. The level is just too low and maybe some clinic stuff? I don't know, but you're completely right that you always had a chunk of very good Italian riders targetting the race. Very similar to the Vuelta in a around that time.

I do think that guy Tiberi might a rider to follow who will follow such a pattern of targetting the race over and over and being competitive. He seems talented enough along with maybe some of the other youngsters?
Ya, I think the clinic stuff more than anything disillussioned italians about the sport in general. Back in the early 2000s Italy had 7 teams in the top 20 ranking with several lesser teams that also got Giro invites. Even Quickstep used to be Italian before the merger with Domo - Farm Frites. Since then it has steadily declined until now when they only have 3 Proteams and none of them are in the top 20.

I feel like italian cycling has a recent habit of people who look good at 18-21, but go no further. I don't know if that's true, but I feel like there's quite a few u21 riders who win stuff at age group level but struggle to break past that
Looking at past top 3s of Giro Baby and l'Avenir there are some who had good careers but were never top GT riders like Cataldo and Cattaneo. Then there were lots who never had much of a career at all like Caddeo, Santoro, Agostini, Penasa and Ravasi. Then some like Aleotti and Colleoni who are still up in the air but they are at least still in the WT though nowhere near being GT riders and then of course the latest pair in Pellizari and Piganzoli who still have an unknown future.

The only good Italian GT rider to top 3 one of those races in the past 20 years was Fabio Aru but even his time at the top was rather short.

Wow, the previous startlist is out and the GC field is sooo weak, I really don´t know, what I should think about it.

There is no other rider of the best I would say 10 best GC riders in the current peleton here. (One could perhaps argue about Thomas, when he is in top shape, but ok)

Pogacar could ride this race with 85% of his maximum potential and he would still win this. If he is doing it, that would mean that he could still start with absolute top shape at the Tour de France, which would not be the case, when he would have to go to his limit at the giro.

If I would be Bora, I would send a more serious contender to the giro (Vlasov or Hindley) just for the reason, that Pogacar has to really go to his limit here to win this, so that he would be more fatigued, when he starts the tour, which would increase Roglic chances..

Jose Rujano doesn't belong into this list at all. The coffee planter was a big cycling talent actually.

The 2005 Giro d'Italia had a stellar field. Basso, Cunego, Simoni, Savoldelli, Di Luca. Even Garate who finished 5th at least has beaten Honchar who was 2nd in 2004. Hard and aggressive racing as well. Guys like Zubeldia & Sanchez came with ambitions for Euskatels first Giro d'Italia participation and were surprised by / not prepared for the high level racing they whitenessed at the 2005 Giro d'Italia!

Colombia Sella Italia was flying that year and certainly well prepared. Due to the sponsorship paycheck from Corratec!

Jose Rujano was a talented, pocket climber (weighting around 50 kg), who won the queen stage then. That Giro 2005 edition was brutal and high level. I definitely expected way more from him back in 2005 but he only had one more noticeable result in Europe (6th in Giro 2011 with a stage victory) with most of successes achieved in South America.

Ya, I think the clinic stuff more than anything disillussioned italians about the sport in general. Back in the early 2000s Italy had 7 teams in the top 20 ranking with several lesser teams that also got Giro invites. Even Quickstep used to be Italian before the merger with Domo - Farm Frites. Since then it has steadily declined until now when they only have 3 Proteams and none of them are in the top 20.
Could be—but there was also a major recession near-depression (2008 +) that probably had an impact on cycling team financing as well.

Apparently the Giro organizers care very much about riders' safety and in order to slow down the race and make it more competitive the top favorite will have to ride a special bike. Add Teddy to the poll, the race should be exciting!

1000_F_135731095_XEtBVqJe1eAerWfpKJXUIVTSZiuhj6L7.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Thomas has podiumed the last two GTs he's targeted, one of them being the Tour, so him being a top10 GT rider is not really a debate.
Well he is 37, he had an unprofessional winter and his shape in the spring wasn´t top10 GT.

Yes, this also had been the case last year. But I wouldn´t take it for granted, that his level in this years giro will be the same like last year. But of course, I would be happy, if I am wrong about this.