• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2024 Giro d'Italia pre-race poll: Best of the Rest?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish highest in GC in the 2024 Giro of the riders who are not Pogi?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thomas.
He's a 1 peak guy, yes, but he has been getting that peak right in the last 2 years. Of course age can hit him hard at any moment, but since he just rides to get km in the legs mostly until the Giro starts, it's hard to guess if it's already this year. I say no, he'll be ok. Which is nothing more than a guess of course, but Alps seemed to be on the right way. The big amount of TT, not balanced with enough multi-climb stages, but just lots of mountain finishes, will help him too. Even if he's a bit weaker than 23, all the TT should give him a good advantage over O'Connor, who I see as number 3.

Italians? Yep, there's no Nibali on the horizon, but it's not as horrible either.

Ciccone has had his share of bad luck too, if not IMO he would have at least a top 5 finish by now. Crashes, then Covid last year, saddle sore operation this year... he would be starting as a serious podium candidate this year without that. Maybe Vuelta for GC then?
Then there's Masnada who has somehow disappeared after looking good, not sure what his problem is.
Then the 3 mentioned here in this thread, Tiberi, good season so far, have my doubts if he can keep the form all though the Giro, we'll see. But for the future looks good. Bahrain though could have sent Bilbao here, or one of Bilbao/Buitrago/Haig...
Pellizarri and Piganzoli, so far so good, but can't expect much this Giro, a top 20 in GC would be ok. More too of course, but they are young. And not everybody is Pogagar-Remco, slower develpment, they could very well be win candidates in 2-3 years. Or not, wait and see.
Then the guy you are all forgetting: Zana. He's ready IMO. Last year stage hunting, normally this year he should stay in GC. Dunbar, Zana. Problem might be Plapp wanting to stay in GC too, 3 might be too many? Better try to get stages with 1 of them? But let'see, IMO Zana has the quality to ride at the same level as Dunbar in GC. And here that means being a top 5 candidate.

Of course all of us will watch the battle for second, every minute of it.
Is that really so different than the Tour years of Indurain, Armstrong, some of the top Sky years? We kinda knew who would win and sometimes it would get decided in the 1st week or the 1st big mtn stage. So the (reduced) drama becomes who can stay within striking range in case the leader has untimely mechanical or jour sans, or if someone unexpected can land a podium.

Is that really so different than the Tour years of Indurain, Armstrong, some of the top Sky years? We kinda knew who would win and sometimes it would get decided in the 1st week or the 1st big mtn stage. So the (reduced) drama becomes who can stay within striking range in case the leader has untimely mechanical or jour sans, or if someone unexpected can land a podium.
It's no different at all.

Voted Bardet because he seems to be going well this season. Thomas might step up like he did last year before Roglic gave him a reality check on that final MTT. But would be good if Ben O’Conner delivered. Arensman might do well. Sadly I am not expecting anything from Nairoman.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
While the GC field is weak (for various reasons), I didn't realise how good the sprint/reduced sprint field is. Merlier, Kooij, Milan, Ewan, Jakobsen, Laporte, Girmay, Pithie, Groves, Dainese, Mayrhofer, etc. Basically just missing Philipsen and WvA?

At least there will be two or three minutes of good action on several stages, I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Feels harsh to say that, given Thomas is a perennial GT podium finisher; Caruso finished 2nd in 2021; Arensman has come 6th at the last two GTs he's finished; Bardet is in good form and came 6th at the Tour as recently as 2022; O'Connor is a good one-week rider and came 4th at the Tour in 2022, etc. They're not scrubs, and there's not tons more second/third rate GC riders out there. I guess Hindley? Mas? Yates? Almeida? Ayuso? Vlasov? Landa? Three of them ride for UAE already, lol, and none of have a better GT pedigree than, say, Thomas.
In general I would rate at least Hindley, Carapaz, Yates, Yates, Mas, Ayuso, Landa and Rodriguez before all of the rest this year. Pog is the only of the first tier GC riders and also the second tier GC riders on the start list.

If O'Connor can limit his losses to Thomas in the TT's I think he can finish second. His biggest problem since his fifth place in the Tour seems to be riding a three week race without getting ill and taking too many tumbles. That said, Thomas only lost the Giro last year in the last half of the final TT. and is usually consistent if he can avoid spills. For his age Thomas is still very competitive in grand tours and it made sense to target the Giro again as a podium chance. Caruso is another veteran still riding well and could be a chance to podium if Thomas and O'Connor have issues. Wouldn't mind seeing Bardet grab a final podium in his retirement season.

Speaking of Tiberi, he is way more ambitious than I thought and already aiming for a top5 in GC.
I haven't even noticed that he has become so good (ref his performance in Tour of the Alps). Now he has the chance for being mostly known for something more than shooting cats!

Joke aside, Italy really needs another top GC performer. Hope Tiberi can challenge in the Giro the coming years.

I see a few posters are mentioning Caruso. Not saying it's impossible but he will not start the Giro as Bahrain's captain. Tiberi will.

Speaking of Tiberi, he is way more ambitious than I thought and already aiming for a top5 in GC.
I hadn't known he was captain. I picked Caruso because he just goes well in Italy and especially the Giro. I think he's got one more Giro in his legs, but Tiberi did look great in the Tour of the Alps.