• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2024 Giro d'Italia pre-race poll: Best of the Rest?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish highest in GC in the 2024 Giro of the riders who are not Pogi?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a feeling this will somehow not be as lopsided as expected. Pogacar will be holding back and will pick and choose which moves to respond to. There will be days he loses time and I don’t think gaining 5 min in 2 stages is a given.

Honestly we don't know if he won't gain 5 minutes in the first two stages alone. Solo for the first, aggressive ride for the second. Makes clear who the the boss is and he then actually can pick and choose whom to follow.
I am not saying it's going to happen, but it's not impossible either.
The only hope is Lipowitz somehow being a Vingegaard, ;)
But on a more positive note:
The Giro could be very interesting outside the winner, as the star list below Pogacar looks pretty similar in level. So maybe it's going to be a very exiting fight for the podium.

I chose O'Connor in the poll because I didn't want to pick Thomas and he's actually been on good form recently.
Also I believe we'll have 2 or 3 total surprises in the Top 10 because how many riders competing for this are there even? Can't be much more than 15 taking a look at the start list. I probably don't know a few who can and want to compete, but I had a hard time counting 10 I believe in.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
In general I would rate at least Hindley, Carapaz, Yates, Yates, Mas, Ayuso, Landa and Rodriguez before all of the rest this year. Pog is the only of the first tier GC riders and also the second tier GC riders on the start list.
How is Thomas below any of those riders? Especially Simon Yates, Rodriguez, and Landa? Thomas basically podiums every GT he targets, maybe he's over the hill now but he's on the same track as last season and that worked out well.

It feels like you're confusing GC credentials in one week races and GC credentials in grand tours. They are fundamentally different things.

How is Thomas below any of those riders? Especially Simon Yates, Rodriguez, and Landa? Thomas basically podiums every GT he targets, maybe he's over the hill now but he's on the same track as last season and that worked out well.

It feels like you're confusing GC credentials in one week races and GC credentials in grand tours. They are fundamentally different things.

He also pushed the best watts of his career over the last 2 seasons didn't he? So he somehow managed to progess very late in his carreer which might indicate that he'll manage to hang on untill he's 40+.

im still pissed bahrain didn't pick Poels so I hope they burn and fail
I am not even a Poels fan but not selecting him is bizarre, he is in great shape and very motivated to get a stage win to complete his treble. He could also be the best guy to help Tiberi if he is high on gc before the dolomites. It's makes no sense not to take poels

Same here. Just such a very weird decision. Makes me feel there's more going on here. Some beef in the team or something?
He himself said he was disappointed but was very chill about not being selected on the whole. I really don't know what to make of it.

We'll see about that. I believe that G is not on that level anymore. We'll see in the next few weeks if I'm right or wrong.

In general I would rate at least Hindley, Carapaz, Yates, Yates, Mas, Ayuso, Landa and Rodriguez before all of the rest this year. Pog is the only of the first tier GC riders and also the second tier GC riders on the start list.
I know I already responded to this but I just have to come back to pointout now utterly bizarre this take is.
GT has 1st, 2nd, 3rd in TdF and a 2nd in the Giro. The 4 Spaniards combined have 2 2nds and 2 3rds in the vuelta.
You read a lot of weird stuff on the Internet but this really highlights how utterly perplexing it is inside some people's heads.

Last edited:
I know I already responded to this but I just have to come back to pointout now utterly bizarre this take is.
GT has 1st, 2nd, 3rd in TdF and a 2nd in the Giro. The 4 Spaniards combined have 2 2nds and 2 3rds in the vuelta.
You read a lot of weird stuff on the Internet bit this really highlights how utterly perplexing it is inside some people's heads.
GT has won a GT GC.