• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2024 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Venaria Reale - Torino, 140 km (Saturday, May 4)

Copying the info from the very extensive 2024 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-Stage Analysis by @Devil's Elbow ALL GLORY TO HIM!

Stage 1: Venaria Reale – Torino, 140.0k

Just like in 2011, the Grande Partenza connects Venaria Reale and Turin, the summer residence of the House of Savoy and its capital. However, that’s where the similarities between the two end, and I’m not just talking about this stage. The Grande Partenza itself, however, is very much an upgrade over 2011: instead of a TTT, we have a mid-mountain stage that forms the toughest Giro opening day in living memory.

Stage 1: Venaria Reale – Torino, 140.0k

Just like in 2011, the Grande Partenza connects Venaria Reale and Turin, the summer residence of the House of Savoy and its capital. However, that’s where the similarities between the two end, and I’m not just talking about this stage. The Grande Partenza itself, however, is very much an upgrade over 2011: instead of a TTT, we have a mid-mountain stage that forms the toughest Giro opening day in living memory.

The route
hsVt7y1alSN5TRPUSxiR_170424-024915.jpg

Ais0GK3gNPkwW3JvsJWo_170424-025024.jpg

The starting location is one of glories past, both inside and outside our sport. It was commissioned in the late 16th century by the House of Savoy, who at the time controlled Piedmont, Aosta, Nice and its original Savoyard territory in the French Alps, then greatly expanded in the early 17th century as the House sought (like so many others at the time) to emulate Versailles. Venaria Reale fell into disuse well before its monarchs became rulers of Italy and moved to Rome, though, as it was transferred to the military following major damage incurred during the Napoleonic Wars. In the Giro, it was last seen in 2018, as the start of the legendary Finestre stage.

esplora_reggia_si_specchia_peschiera_1.jpg

The first hour is spent traversing the Po floodplain, then the riders enter the Collina Torinese, around which the stage is centered. The first KOM of the day, Berzano di San Pietro (2.6k at 5.8%), is also the easiest.

berzano-di-san-pietro-casalborgone.png

Next up is the intermediate sprint (the one for the points classification – we now have three separate kinds of intermediate sprints, because that totally isn’t confusing to the average viewer), then it’s time to head to Superga. This is not the hard side that used to be the MTF of Milano-Torino until that race was castrated, but rather the variant used in its 2000s iteration. Despite that, I can’t find a profile of this side – its overall stats of 7.1k at 8.8% are unimpressive, but the climb is rather irregular. The first 4.5 kilometres, containing all the harder parts, match the profile below.

via-palucco-pavarolo.png

The descent takes us into Revigliasco, where we join the final circuit for 1.5 laps. A flattish section takes us into Torino, with the Intergiro sprint on Corso Moncalieri, before the route turns into the hills once more for the first of two ascents of San Vito (profile later on). After passing through the finish line for the first time, it’s immediately time for the final KOM of the day, Colle Maddalena. This side easily trumps the one used in the 2022 Torino stage in terms of length and elevation gain, but doesn’t share its monster ramps. Two false flats mask the climb’s true difficulty: the majority is over 8%.

jpaFDxQDzOYVZc1fF7nC_170424-031430.jpg

A moderately technical descent takes us back to Revigliasco and from there, it’s all familiar terrain. The bonus second sprint is in Moncalieri itself, just a few kilometres further from the line than the Intergiro one was. And then, it’s time for the final time up San Vito. It’s a climb not dissimilar to Redoute that totally wasn’t inserted after the presentation to get Pogacar to wear pink as soon as possible. The ensuing descent lasts until past the flamme rouge.

AORT48a7kNv5srkGBJzB_170424-031535.jpg

fy6i31425VfX4GiNJ3ll_170424-031116.jpg

Originally founded by the Romans, Torino gained influence after the Duchy of Savoy moved its capital there in the 16th century. The aforementioned development of the Duchy into a kingdom that conquered/reunified all of Italy helped it prosper, but of course eventually cost it its status as capital. Despite this, unification was not unkind to the city, with the construction of the Fréjus tunnel and development of the Italian car industry (centred here until this day) ensuring its status as one of the country’s foremost cities. Its subsequent history has been turbulent at times – a fascist massacre of the labour movement shortly after Mussolini’s coup d’état, Allied bombing in WWII, economic turmoil due to the oil crisis in the 70s and 80s hitting its car industry – but it remains an important centre – not just economically and culturally, but also in sports, having hosted the Winter Olympics in 2006 and being home to Serie A record champions in Juventus. In cycling, it hosted the finish of the sport’s oldest race in Milano-Torino until very recently. It has also seen the Giro twice in the past three years already, with Ganna taking the opening TT in 2021 and Simon Yates winning the last great Giro stage the year after.

1200px-Turin_and_the_Alps.jpg

What to expect?

A significant selection on Maddalena that will see perhaps 50 riders survive, then almost certainly GC action on San Vito with strong potential for a Pogacar solo victory.

The news is that Visma LAB will go to the giro without their climber Koen Bouwman, instead replaced by Tim van Dijke. Not sure what Uijtdebroeks will say to that.

View: https://twitter.com/vismaleaseabike/status/1785626229279752290

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
The news is that Visma LAB will go to the giro without their climber Koen Bouwman, instead replaced by Tim van Dijke. Not sure what Uijtdebroeks will say to that.

View: https://twitter.com/vismaleaseabike/status/1785626229279752290
Seriously, Bouwman was their only rider in shape. At least on route towards the Giro d'Italia. I kinda expected him to take over team leadership and go for the mountains classification again, if Uijtdebroeks isn't ready for the Giro d'Italia.

This could be pretty horrible for Visma now. They really need Uijtdebroeks to be in shape OR Kooij to step up and become the best sprinter in the corsa rosa.

Otherwise their fall off from last year will be pretty harsh. Given Vingegaard's abstinence from the Tour de France and their failed spring campaign.

Kooij absolutely could be right on track however. I can't really validate that. Haven't seen him enough this year. Is he on track?

Seriously, Bouwman was their only rider in shape. At least on route towards the Giro d'Italia. I kinda expected him to take over team leadership and go for the mountains classification again, if Uijtdebroeks isn't ready for the Giro d'Italia.

This could be pretty horrible for Visma now. They really need Uijtdebroeks to be in shape OR Kooij to step up and become the best sprinter in the corsa rosa.

Otherwise their fall off from last year will be pretty harsh. Given Vingegaard's abstinence from the Tour de France and their failed spring campaign.

Kooij absolutely could be right on track however. I can't really validate that. Haven't seen him enough this year. Is he on track?
I expect the ciclamino to be between Milan and Kooij, so that’s one way Visma could have a good Giro.

Think so too, Kooij should do alright. Still a bit odd that they couldn't find anyone else instead of van Dijke, though. He already said after Fleche that he needs a break asap.
Considering all their injuries, and the fact that they've named multiple replacements already, I doubt their list of reserves is particularly extensive at this point (although probably not as bad as when they had to fly Gloag in last-second last year).

Reactions: search

He's a sprinter. They seemingly can hit form from out of nowhere. (Seemingly to us of course, they're all training, it just looks to me they don't usually need that much actual race km's, or results even, as most GC riders). And watching his results so far, I'm pretty sure he'll deliver. He's one of those sprinters that doesn't really need a train either. His positioning and timing are quite impressive.
Following that train of thought, Groves being right up there in the sprints wouldn't surprise me either.

Cian? I don't know. I've got this gut-feeling his Giro will be quite disappointing.

And let's not forget LaPorte. He's been ill so he had to skip a lot of races, but when he did start a race this year, he did pretty damn good. He should also be pretty fresh by now compared to others.

Last edited:
Reactions: staubsauger
How much is Pog really expected to win by? A 30km attack with only a 7k 7% climb can’t provide that much of a gap, for a lot of effort.

Edit - didn’t realize the stage is also only 140k. And of course everyone will be fresh. I doubt he’ll blow his load this early.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Think so too, Kooij should do alright. Still a bit odd that they couldn't find anyone else instead of van Dijke, though. He already said after Fleche that he needs a break asap.
I would have expected Visma to field Hagenes for the 2024 Giro d'Italia then. Given his spring schedule has been a lot lighter and he's more versatile.

That said, Van Dijke had a superb classics campaign and is a strong workhorse! If he's got anything left in his tank Van Dijke is gonna be exactly the rider Kooij needs in his team.

Still gutted for Bouwman though. Pal looked fully on path for another successful Giro d'Italia!