• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

24 Hours of Moab Solo. Looks like pain.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure he's still feeling the weekend in his legs (and lungs!) today. I only did five laps as part of a four-man team and was pretty wasted. The course isn't especially long nor does it contain a huge amount of climbing but it's quite technical and the rocks are pretty relentless so it beats you up pretty thoroughly.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
The first six hours of Moab were very warm and extremely dry. Riders had a difficult time staying hydrated. As the cool evening and cold night set in the cramping in the riders was like something I have rarely seen. As part of the therapy staff, I went through two gallons prior to midnight and I was standing in the shade the whole time!

My utmost respect goes to all finishers, especially in the solo category.

For anyone who has never been to a 24 hour race, the all-night campfire parties alone are worth the trip.

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
The impressive thing is that Kelly wasn't even supposed to race this one. He filled in for a fellow team member Chris Eatough who was sick at the last moment.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Kelly's second-place finish was certainly impressive but he wasn't a last-minute substitute for Eatough. Here it is straight from Kelly:

"It was actually a bit in between... I had decided later in the season - or more accurately a month or two before Moab, due to so much work travel killing my early season. So, I wasn't subbing for Chris at all."

TRENDING THREADS